Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
avocado toxicity, your experience

Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 11:57

I see on the web that avocados and parts of it are toxic to virtually all domestic and many wild animals. It is clear that, for example, avocado pits can not be used to feed domestic rabbits or pigs. Avocado fruit can be deadly to birds, cats and dogs.

I wonder if some of you can declare that, say, eating two avocados a day for extended periods of time did, or did not, affect their health. Think also in terms of subclinical effects, that you can feel but the doctor can not measure. I, for example, can feel a lot of inflammation symptoms during peak tomato season (which is also pepper and eggplant peak), when I eat more than a pound a day. as a result, over the years I moved to more beans and squash and less solanaceae.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: avocado toxicity, your experience

It isn't uncommon for people to have problems with avocados, and actually any food in large doses can give many people issues. Avocado specifically has several components that are problematic for some people:

salicylate-also present in apples, strawberries, tomatoes, and many other foods. Many drugs also contain salicylates (aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid for example) so if you have a sensitivity to certain medications like NSAIDs this could be related.

amines-there are various types of amines present in many foods including chocolate, meats, cheeses, and fruits like avocados, tomatoes, and bananas.

latex-naturally occurring latex-like compounds are present in a lot of foods particularly avocado, banana, & kiwi. If you have a problem w/latex gloves, avocado can also give you issues.

That said, eating two avocados a day seems on the high side to me. A pound of tomatoes also seems like a lot. I think the fiber and the acidity would give me a problem if I ate that much! Prep methods influence a lot as well. I know someone that reacts badly to raw avocado but is okay w/cooked. Ripeness and variety also are factors...

r

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 17:40

Yes, a lb of toms is a lot, but what can you do when the garden is at peak production? over time I learned to plant more paste toms. But even my chard or my beans produce a pound a day at peak. These give me no trouble though

o

Real world examples:

My 25 pound corgi throws up after eating avocados and only avocados. Otherwise, she's a garbage compactor, eats everything, no issues.

My dad, who grew up on a Fallbrook avocado farm, says his dog would go out and go nuts on the overripe avocados that had fallen off the tree. According to legend, this was the fattest dog ever. Can't blame him.

Personally, I eat an avocado a day during the season, no issues.

o

I LOVE avocados. I can eat 4-5 a day, and not feel sick. I have 3 trees going in. A mexicola, lamb hass, and hass. Looking for a bacon, zutano, or sir prize as a pollinator.

Did I mention I LOVE avocados????

o

Dogs eating avocados can get pancreatitis which can be fatal. It is the fat in the avocado, not a toxic element. We went through this with our dog which loved avocados and macadamia nuts. Dog survived several attacks, finally fenced him off the mac and avocado areas. Dogs get the same disease from being fed fatty table scraps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here