Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esco_socal

miracle fruit - 1st bloom

esco_socal
13 years ago

My miracle fruit is putting out buds for the first time ever. My phone doesn't shoot macro very well but if you look closely, you can spot a couple of them. As of this morning, there are five flower buds on this tiny tree.

{{gwi:1307298}}

{{gwi:1307299}}

{{gwi:1307300}}

{{gwi:1307301}}

Comments (13)

• mullenium
    13 years ago

mine blooms but they always dry up and fall off

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Good luck Esco - or should I say "Dad"......
    (or is it too soon for congradulations?)

lol.....mangohowling

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice. I wouldn't be surprised if they fall off though. Mine did not set a berry for about 2 seasons after first flowering. Nice healthy looking plant though. Have you ever tried the berries? I am not much of a fan of how they affect the taste of things.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nice plant, congrats on the blooms, maybe some day I'll see some on mine if I dont kill it first. The berries are fun to play with but not a fruit to sit and munch a handful of.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• esco_socal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys...

Personally, I don't expect much from any tree the first year or two blooming. That your experiences pretty much confirmed that. But i'm wondering if there's any chance of me improving the tree's ability to hold fruits? I've read somewhere by shaking the tree lightly when the blossoms open slightly increase its ability to pollinate. I also think it's a must since it's an INDOOR plant :)

John: never had the berry but I like the idea of tricking one's sense to falsely identify something which isn't :) weird huh?

Tim

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi esco_socal,

Really cool to see. Thanks for sharing. How old is the plant?

Tomas

• esco_socal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Tomas, I really don't know how old it it. I'm guessing 2-ish? I got it from Top.tropical as a 1-gallon so however old their 1-gal plants are :)

Tim

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Tim,

Thanks. I was just curious because I grow a few seedlings of miracle fruit myself.

Tomas

• socalmango
    13 years ago

esco_socal, are you doing anything special to keep the humidity up? I thought this was a high humidity loving plant?. And no taking it out during the last few days out here in the rain does not count :)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

They do well sitting in a tray of water..as you can see they can have a bad micronutrient problems-a lack of them that is. The saucer of water helps.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Good luck with getting some fruit. They'll come eventually.....maybe not this time, but hopefully soon. I would estimate that tree to be about 5 years of age. They are very, very slow to get size.

Harry

• esco_socal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slow growing it is, it's only managed to put out a bunch of good size leaves and ONE lateral branch since I got it. That's about it for growth.

I don�t think I�m doing anything special really. It's been mostly an indoor plant ever since I got it last September. Only been out in full sun several times. This is going to sound weird but I occasionally take it in the bathroom. All that steam from the shower can only benefit it.

Having two little ones at home, I also have one of them cold air humidifier that runs all day in the house but it's probably rated at 1% efficiency at this point. So I boil a big pot of water every other day to raise air temperature and humidity in the house instead of running the heater. Thus far, I haven't found any humidifier that can out do my water boiling :)

Anyways, all my house plants benefit from this. The only ones that seem to hate it are my Adeniums, they're much happier now being outside getting all dry air.

Stan: aren't they subject to root rot in standing water or too much water? I think Jay said he knew of someone literally have their plants in standing water but I can't be sure.

Tim

• mullenium
    13 years ago

tip for MF plants.. grab an extra clear produce baggie from your local grocer, and use some sorta wooden skewers poking out around the edge of the soil as a structure for the baggie.. and BAM you got a great humidity dome for the plant