Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting Haas to a dwarf hybrid-fruit cocktail Avocado?

Posted by sultry_jasmine_night z10/ hot hot hot.... (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 12:24

I have two new small grafted avocado trees (about 4 ft). One is a reg. Haas supposed to get 25ft or so. The other is a dwarf mexican hybrid (not sure what exactly) got it at Lowes.. supposed to get about 8ft tall. I wanted to take some cuttings of the Haas and graft onto some of the dwarf hybrid's branches (gonna give the Haas tree to my MIL). I think it might be good for pollination but will the Haas grafts be too vigorous and take over the other hybrid tree?
Anyone tried a fuit cocktail avocado to save space or get multiple varieties on the same tree? I would like to hear your thoughts or experiences. Thanks
~SJN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting Haas to a dwarf hybrid-fruit cocktail Avocado?

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 2:53

I have a few different multi grafted trees but no avocados though. But it is very clear that some varieties are much more vigorous than others. But that's why we got pruners and shears. Its a good space saving method, you can always start to heavily prune the Hass if it starts taking over.

o
RE: Grafting Haas to a dwarf hybrid-fruit cocktail Avocado?

Thanks eggo, that's kinda what I figured. Heard you could also plant 2 in one hole to help with pollination.
There are now flower buds on the Hass~Yippee!!
Does anyone know if it is okay to cut the top off avocado trees to manage size and get more branches?
~SJN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here