Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c00rdb

mangosteen fruited!

c00rdb
14 years ago

This morning I noticed a flower on my mangosteen - i've had the plant for 12 years and have been growing it indoor/outdoor here in new jersey! i'll post some pics tonight after work. i can't wait! it's been a long struggle with 8 casualities out of 10 plants i started with.

Comments (28)

• murahilin
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations. Pretty amazing. I hope it holds the fruit. How large is the tree?

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

wow- im sure you are the first person in the north east to get a mangosteen plant to bloom. please post pics. well done. hope it sticks.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Wow, That is beyond impressive. Most of us can't even keep them alive in FL. We are going to need a lot of details on care, potting mix, lighting, and anything else you can think of. I bet you are the first person north of florida to accomplish that.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

So you fruited a mangosteen in NJ.....who cares? Only every stinking one of us. I, for one, am a bit envious and jealous....well, maybe a bit more than a bit. Can't wait to see the pictures! Congratulations!!!

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Wow you deserve a huge pat on the back for that. I bet you will be the envy of everyone on this forum! Conratulations and I can't wait to see the pictures!
    Andrew

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Very nice and congrats! All of us would love to see the pics of your tree. Please include pics of the entire plant, closeups of plant and blooms. Obviously all of us are anxious for this info and to see this. Also, if you would...please give us some more details. Where you got the seeds or seedlings? What all you did for the plant? Conditions and such?

Good job. 12 years is an amazing amount of time to not only keep the plant alive, obviously thriving, and to have the patience for both.

Hopefully you will get some pics loaded for us today. You can't just dangle a post like this out there and not produce!!! LOL!

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

I am so jealous!
    Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment.

• c00rdb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok everyone...hold your horses lol. First I must appologize for two things. First a bit of hyperbole...I just have 1 small bud, to say I fruited the mangosteen is a large exaggeration. Second, since my new computer doesn't have a firewire port, I'll have to try and find a friend to load the pics off my camera and onto the computer. I'll try and get to that this weekend. Anyway I feel like I'm misleading everyone acting like I'm an expert on mangosteen when my success rate is only 20%!

If you want info on growing, check out the link I added. It's pretty much the mangosteen bible as far as I'm concerned.

Specifically, I grew my plants from seeds a friend brought back from thailand. 10 germinated, not sure out of how many anymore. Since then 7 have randomly died over the years, most yellowing for no reason then eventually browning. I don't really understand why since mangosteens are reportedly all the same genetically (the seeds aren't actually 'true' seeds...just exactly clones of the mother). I had another one which looked like it was the further along but my sister generously helped me paint one day and left the window open in january to help get rid of the fumes...plant was toast.

As for lighting I've been using a 400 watt mh in the winter on half the plants, with the other half getting light from a south facing window. I've been spraying them with tap water every time I go past just to prevent mites..although I've never had a problem with them. Plus it makes me feel like I'm doing something without harming the plant lol. I'm sure everyone knows the feeling of giving too much attention to their plants. I foliar feed once a month or just, pretty lightly. Plants go outside from may to early September.

Anyway, take all this with a grain of salt, like I said I'm only 20% and to say i fruited it at this point is a great exaggeration.

Here is a link that might be useful: mangosteen culture

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Any USB port should work I would imagine.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

sounds like he's a MAC (and im a PC)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I guess we should amend the thread title to MANGOSTEEN FLOWERED! A nice accomplishment nonetheless.

Harry

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Pics?

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Bump... skepticism growing.

• c00rdb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update-

The flower dried out..I touched it lightly and it flaked off...pretty sad. I still have the before and after pics though of it, I ordered a memory card reader off amazon so I can get the pics off my camera. I'm hoping against hope that it'll put out another flower in the near future...I'm not sure what went wrong, maybe it needs more humidity during the flowering? It must've liked the conditions in the first place though if it started to put out a flower...it's so frustrating with these guys because it's guess work and if you do something wrong it can set you back a lot of time because they are so slow to react. argh

greg

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

i wouldnt assume its happy because it flowered, sometimes stressed out plants will flower/fruit as a last resort

anyways good luck, i heard enough about these plants being finicky that i never bought one

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Amazon backordered? Where's the pics? You are losing us.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

You let me down Jay.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Just throwing out enough rope man! No knots yet!

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

hey c00rd- any more mangosteen flowers? perhaps a fruit or two?

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Ahhhhhwe all knew or suspected this was coming sooner or laterÂat least some of us did! To all of my many fans and supportersÂthank you, thank you. No applause please, just send money. Ya knowÂfor nearly any other plant, I would have let this go, but not for mangosteen. No sir. So as not to disappointÂhere it goes.

Greg(c00rdb)ÂWe are all still waiting for the pics...and waiting... and waiting and waiting andÂwell heck, you get the picture. Whoops! Maybe you donÂt!

Has Amazon back ordered the memory card reader? Didn't think we'd let this post die did you? I want to thank a couple of my silent partners in crime, who shall remain anonymous at this time, for helping me keep this post alive and kicking. And YellowthumbÂIÂm here to keep you on your toes and entertained my friend!

Look...I'm going to come right out and say some things many of us are thinking because this whole thing seems just more than a bit "off" to me. I'm sorry to be so cynical, I really am, but you've made one heck of a claim here with only empty promises to back it up.

Everyone here is happy with what they are doing in this hobby and proud of their accomplishments. I would also bet nearly everyone here would love to make the very same claim you did exactly FOUR weeks ago. I know that I sure as heck would and dream of the day I can make a claim like this! I know how difficult it is to obtain seeds and plants, let alone keep the darn things alive for very long. And to bloom?! Wow! So yeahÂIÂm a tad put out about your claim and you now certainly come off as trying to con all of the good people on this forum.

Digital cameras have been around for a long time now and most will pretty much just plug and play right into any computer these days. Even if you take away the claim, more than a few of us are having a difficult time understanding how someone can have a 12 year old mangosteen and has never even mentioned the plant until now! Not sharing pictures just makes it even more puzzling. This isn't your normal houseplant. This isnÂt even a mango or a lychee growing indoors. This is a mangosteenÂone of the holy grails of rare fruiting, even more so growing indoors! You've been a member for over a year and you've had to have seen all of the posts concerning garcinias and mangosteens in general. It's very very odd that you would not share your experiences at growing mangosteens for 12 years during these many opportunities!

Truthfully, we are all really hoping this is the real thing and that you are not yanking our chains, but you really aren't leaving us much NOT to be cynical about! If and when these pics ever appear, I will be among the first to step up and apologize for the doubt and the hard timeÂand sincerely congratulate you. But for now, my "steppin" shoes will be in the closet gathering dust.

P.S. Maybe you could invite Gerry from NY for a little visit. It would be just a short road trip for him. He could take some pics and then post them for you!

P.S.S. Before I hop down from the Ol Soapbox, I must say that there is growing doubt that this guy is even for real. So while this post was meant for him, it was also clearly for entertainment purposes! Donations acceptedÂand encouraged.

JayÂgrowing mangosteen, but it is not blooming or fruiting.

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

Hi Jay,

Wow, well said, I have been holding this breath for such a long time. Now you let it out. Thanks Jay.

So many late night sleeps and dreams about almighty Greg in the north with a decade old mangosteen flowered indoors. I felt the same way when I realized that my neighbour Dave has two Pandas as a pet in his basement. And that Panda girl is pregnant.

You have had broke my disbelief with Mangosteen (Is it real? Is it a man made fruit? Cos I have never seen the plant with my own eyes), I have seen hope, a shed of light through the thick darkness.
    You have shamed me on my skills, even though that I have been practicing indoor container gardening for over a decade. And like Jay, I am learning every single day.
    You have made me refreshing this specific post every ten minutes for the first week. All I got is disappointment.

Now you owe us something, a picture.

YT... germinating mangosteen, but they never sprouted.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ok...Ok.....I have to confess. I was so depressed after my grafted mangosteen died in the recent cold snap that I began to fantasize about eventually fruiting one. It started with a dream one night and then became so overwhelming that I began to have hallucinations during the day. As I closed my eyes, I visualized my large, lush mangosteen growing lankily on my patio and bursting from each limb with flowers and fruits. The more I fantasized, the more I began to lose touch with reality. A month ago I convinced myself that I had actually been successful.....I began to think that I wasn't that loser, lousy grower and failer in the mangosteen world (Harry).....no, I developed an alter ego, I became c00rdb.....mangosteen grower extrodinaire and I posted on this forum proudly to boast about my accomplishment. But then, reality hit....you guys asked for pictures....my fantasy bubble burst and I was left with the cold stark reality that I couldn't grow mangosteen worth a Cr@p. I am really sorry I took you guys through my delusional episode. I didn't mean any harm. I hope you can forgive me.

Harry

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

LMAO!! Do you have to get a Dr. to sign off on those meds??!!

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

nice try harry- but unfortunately, i already claimed credit for our extraordinary mangosteen grower AND our equally beloved and intrepid jackfruit seed gatherer. Too late Harry. Sorry. C00rdb is all my alter ego.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Lolol...you guys are too funny! Quite the comedians! I know nothing about mangosteen...but after reading this thread, that's one I won't be trying to grow. I'll leave that to the expert...wherever he might be?

• mangostana
    13 years ago

where is the picture you promised?

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Mangostana...it's more than obvious this guy was full of it and is long long gone.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I feel like I have heard this story before...

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County