Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikorazi

Keitt mango

pikorazi
13 years ago

Hi,

recently my father sent me some pictures of their orchad (where i'm planting exotics when i'm on vacations) in south gran canaria. the picture of fruting keitt mangos impressed me a lot:

{{gwi:1307368}}

i told him to remove 60% of the fruit, in order to improve quality and size of the mangos. actually i like the keitt mangos in our hot and dry climate a lot :-)

another pictures:

blooming avocado (hass, i think)

{{gwi:1307369}}

cherimoya (should be 'fino de jete')

{{gwi:1307370}}

papaya (i don't know the cultivar)

{{gwi:1307371}}

i hope you enjoy..

felipe

Comments (8)

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

OMG!!!!!! that's impressive. Looks more like a cherry tree than a mango with all them fruits on it. wow

Are all Keitts that productive or do you have a big ol'Bee hive under the tree?

Tim

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Felipe:

Those pictures are impressive, for sure. But, those Keitts look so unbelievably different than our Keitts. Yours have color which our lack completely.....especially at their rather young stage of development. Could the difference in climate/soil account for such a drastic difference? Are you sure you have Keitt?? I have never seen a Keitt with color...even when tree matured and ripe ready to eat.

Harry

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Harry's got a point - their purplish red baby color is unseen here that I'm aware of - I think they start out just a plain green and then add some reddish tinge at the end...but my GOD so many.....now is that one tree in your first picture, or one in front and another in back...?

Boy, they sure LOVE it there - does he have any other mangos???? He's doin' everything right I'd say....

Thanks for the pics - we love em!!!!

mangoyawn

• zands
    13 years ago

Too little N and too much P and K in the soil or added to it? Is that volcanic soil your father's mangoes are growing in? K makes for a more colorful fruit (Richard Campbell)

But very beautiful indeed

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

The canary islands were developed by different sea volcanoes. So most likely that's volcanic soil.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Wow I can see why the pics of the mango impressed you. I think they have impressed evryone here!!

I cannot commenton wether there keits or not. I wouldn't know what a keit mango looked like if one was ripe and in front of my face now!!

Everything looks so lush and happy! I would hope that you get to visit when the fruits are in season!

Andrew

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On the picture you can see two trees. They are supposed to be Keitt. Despite of the pigmentation, the plant and fruit look like a Keitt. In fact, I don't remember to ever seen the fruit from that trees that 'red'. Here you can see ripe mangos from the same trees a few years ago:

{{gwi:1307372}}

{{gwi:1307374}}

@Mangoperro:
    Yes there are other mango trees: a lot of older turpentine (cv Gomera) and seedlings. So far I added one Osteen and another NamDocMai (from Thailand), but I'm planning to get about 20 cultivars from Tenerife ;-)

@Zands:
    Last December I added fertilizer, I think 19-16-16, so quite a lot N for a mango. Last season I fertilazed with a lot of N, because the trees were quite weak and small. Because of that much N, the tree hardly fruited last year.. Maybe the fertilizer caused the red pigmentation..

@Tropicalgrower:
    That is right. But there isn't volcanic soil everywhere, it depends on the island. The soil in our orchad is more like loam, I think..

@Andrew:
    I try fly back home three times a year. Unfortunately the last years I couldn't fly in summer, so I missed the mango seasons :-/

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Felipe:

The new picture you have posted showing ripe Keitts would be the most colorful ripe keitts I have personally seen (were it not for your earlier post). That's why I was so shocked to see those red fruits forming in the earlier picture. I have a cultivar that looks that red when small. Its called Mallindi and when it matures, it loses its redness and becomes very much like the fruits you have now posted. Mallindi is a very round distinctively shaped fruit and the ones in the picture are obviously not so shaped. I'll be most interested to see how these red beauties develop and change in color with maturity. Please keep us posted. And, for the record...I have never, no not ever, had a mango tree fruit so heavily such that I was even remotely thinking about removal of fruit....nevermind 60% of the fruit on a tree. But then again, I have never had a tree fruit as heavily as those pictured above.

Harry