Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperseed

Jamaican Sorrel (Roselle)

pepperseed
14 years ago

Is anyone growing this plant & willing to share some seeds or cuttings? Unfortunately, I have nothing to trade at the moment, but I will be happy to pay for postage - or come by & pick them up if you are in the Southwest Broward area.

Many thanks,

Jen

Comments (9)

• murahilin
    14 years ago

I have a lot of sorrel seeds. Email me if you're interested.

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Is this the roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa)? I just tried some of the calyx snack. It's very good. I was looking for seeds to plant too. I actually went on ebay and ordered some. But not sure when it will get here. Any pictures of the plant to share? I want to plant this to make some good drinks.:)

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

yes, thats it ch3rri

i ordered 12 seeds but only managed to get 2 to grow outdoors, i bet you will do better though. they grow fast once they get established and alot of rain.

out of the two plants i made 2 pitchers of tea, i boiled the calyx with some ginger i smash with my thumb. its deep red. i added pineapple juice and it turned purple. goes great with rum

i had a few hundred seeds from the flowers i let developed further and have some sprouted already.

there is a white variety too, picture is from the blog i linked below

im looking for white seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tasteslikehome.org/2010/01/cheers-for-new-year.html

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Mangokush,
    Does this grow like a bush the same way the tropical hibiscus that has the large beutifull flowers, or is it diffrent? The calyx is the immature seed structure at the base of the flower right?
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

This is so coooooooool!!!! Well, I'm just excited now since this is new to me...hehehe. I was doing a lot of research the other day for this plant. I should have just post here and maybe buy some seeds from you guys instead on ebay. Which I think might take forever to get here since it's international. I have to cross my fingers and hope the package will not get lost.

I tasted the calyx once and it was an accident that I found out the name of the plant. I think I was searching for a food recipe and then saw a picture of the calyx. This is something new and it's exciting. I can't wait to get some seeds so I can start planting indoor now. The white one look very interesting too. Does it taste the same? I just think the red drink look so good. Yummmm...yummm....I'm thirsty.... Oh, the dried snack from the calyx is pretty good too. It have a sweet and crisp taste. I will have to get some later.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Andrew,

it grows very much like a tropical hibiscus, probably 3 - 4 foot tall and not so showy red flowers, i let some bloom to get seeds

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

There are seed packets available through most of the herb companies. It is mostly sold under the name Roselle. You can also find the seeds available through companies that sell to Indian and Pakistani communities - they often call it Sour Leaf. You can find it in the Hispanic communities often called Jamaica (the "j" pronounced like an "h"). It is the key ingredient in Red Zinger Tea that you can find in the herbal tea isle of your grocery store.

Easy to sprout, easy to grow if you have hot weather. You can probably just follow the growing rules for okra. For me in NC they don't start to flower until the very end of the summer and often not until early fall. Cool nights will slow them down. Frosts will kill them. I imagine you could cut the blooming stems and bring them inside the house and get a few to mature. The calyx swells after the flower dies.

They sometimes taste like cranberry but can be a bit stringy. They make a good jelly.

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

seedsofindia carries both the white and red varieties

• carolstropicals
    8 years ago

I bought Jamaican Roselle Cocktail around 1 month ago at Baker Heirloom Seed.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor