Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

For prospective greenhouse builders

ohiojay
13 years ago

I know there have been more than a few folks here who have stated that they would like to build a greenhouse in the future. Please take the following experience to heart and let it guide you to wiser decisions.

Most of you know that my GH is attached to the back of my home. Great benefits as the back of my home faces south. I can take advantage of the thermal properties of the house and no wind from that direction sucking out the precious heat in the winter time. I also benefited in not having to purchase a fourth side or second half of a roof.

Ahhh....but somewhere amoungst all of these benefits lies the hidden turd to stink it all up. Moisture and water infiltration. Yes gentle readers, I f'd up and f'd up good. No where in my grand plans did I take into consideration just how easy it is for moisture to seep thru just about anything and everything. Believe me, I caulked every obvious spot that you could point out and then some. I thought all bases were covered. I also had Tyvek and insulated vinyl siding put on out there to match the rest of the home. What could possibly penetrate all of that? Right? Unfortunately and obviously, wrong.

Did I consider what might lie beneath my kitchen bay window roof? Nope. While heavily insulated, the inside was still "open" to the rest of the home. Insulation itself does nothing when it comes to stopping moisture. So this gave moisture an unhindered entrance into the home. What about all the electrical wires running in and out? Thought we took care of that, but not enough. We ran wires thru the walls into the basement. Those holes were not sealed properly. Water followed them right into unprotected wood.

The hard lessons learned too late here are that moisture WILL find a way into the home...especially coming from an environment that is pumping out high humidity 24x7 with a dew point in the winter time to be constantly condensing. Water will wick in every direction imaginable and then some. Every tiny crack or small hole is begging for disaster to happen...let alone cracks and holes that you could stick your fist into!

By far the worst damage comes from up top where I extended the cantelevered portion of my home further out to accomodate the width of the GH and support the header board. This little box was hastily constructed and seriously underdesigned...under everything really. And has obviously been leaking like a torpedoed ship for the last couple of years. We also ran a ton of electric from out in the greenhouse into the cavity of the cantelevered portion and run into my box. A big gaping hole inside there.

Not proud to admit it...but all of these troubles were the result of my own negligence. Houses must breath and are not designed to be "tight". Houses were not designed to have freaking greenhouses attached to them either. High moisture/humidity invading a home causes other unfortunate consequences as well. Our attics are damp and in some places wet(above porch) due to this...places that never seen dampness before. We have soffit/ridge vents for our roof...which is considered by many to be the best ventilation system for your attic. But even the best system cannot keep up with the moisture I'm pumping in there. The inside of our home right now averages 50-55% humidity when, like everyone else during the winter, we should be bi$ching about how dry the house is at 25% humidity!

All of this could have been prevented with a little more knowledge on the science of moisture, a lot more patience, more time, more effort, and money certainly. It would have been a heck of a lot more simple then as it is proving to be now. I had no plants in the GH then to have to work around. It wasn't winter. That exterior wall was bare.

There are products out there designed to completely and totally waterproof structures and such. Not only would it prevent obvious water infiltration, but would stop any water vapor/moisture as well. This will have to be done...once all of the siding has been removed and damages repaired. Everything must be coated...including the inside the bay window after closing up the huge gaps in there. Extra care will need to be taken to ensure water can no longer follow the electrical wires into the basement. Lest I forget...we will also need to redirect the downstairs bathroom vent elsewhere instead of the greenhouse where it is now. That is just another hole leading into the house begging moisture to follow.

There's nothing worse than being one's own worst enemy. It sucks being the sole person to blame...and believe me, right now I would love to have someone else taking the heat for this!! I have a ton of crappy work ahead of me sealing that wall up. The construction repairs are well outside of my expertise, time, and strength(mentally and physically), and abiility to accomplish. Finding the right people to tackle this has proved more difficult than you could believe. I'm hoping that just getting the walls repaired and getting rid of those moisture laden areas will improve the other areas of concern...even before sealing off the wall. Those areas definitely are a source for a lot of moisture coming into the home. It is possible that fixing them could fix it all. Can't bank on that so I will continue the task of sealing the wall.

So for anyone out there with a GH in your future, please use the above as a warning.

Comments (7)

• stressbaby
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jay,

As I told you earlier, I feel for you.

How much of this damage is due to rainwater penetration through the roof, and how much is due to humidity?

Seems to me there must be a local effect having to do with that wall, rather than just the movement of humidified air into your home. Where is/was the vapor barrier? Normally you would want the vapor barrier on the warm side, but I remember you telling me once that your GH was actually warmer than your house in the winter. That has me wondering if maybe the vapor barrier was on the "house side" which would have been the warm side without a GH, but actually became the cold side after you put the GH on the back of the house. The warmer air, holding more moisture, moved across the wall and as it cooled it condensed within the wall.

Like so many things, it is probably multifactorial.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

That really sucks big time, Jay. I feel your pain. Thanks for the warning. However, the good news for me, I am not handy or clever enough to ever undertake such a project myself. But I sure know now what to be worried about if I ever decide to pay someone to do one for me.

Harry

• roachslayer
    13 years ago

Jay, if I was in Ohio, I'd come help. You've been very helpful in posting this experience. I am indeed a prospective GH builder with a lean-to in mind, and this gives me some thoughts to chew on.

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. Roachslayer...if you were one of those few individuals who enjoyed vinyl siding...you'd certainly be welcomed! I hate that crap. My hands look like I stuck them in a food processor.

SB...I removed drywall on the inside of the house to check and all was good. It was the unsuspecting places that bit me in the butt. Who would of guessed the bay window? I only considered it after one inspector told me that builders take a lot of shortcuts when it comes to those things. Not blaming the builders...it is solid and has done it's job. Again...those openings inside would not cause an issue under normal circumstances. My little box leaking over the years is the most troubling. Not only is it in a real pain in the butt location, but it involves two exterior walls. One wall separates the garage attic and you can stick your fingers thru it. I've been up there and you can see it from across the attic.

None of the damaged areas have seemed to compromise the interior...at least not that I've seen. The box area could have but won't know until the workers dive into that mess. I could actually pull 2x4's and OSB out of there...at least what was left of it!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Ouch Jay,
    that is some serious work! I used to think it would be nice to have a dedicated GH year 'round instead of dragging stuff in and out. Not so much now.

good luck with your long journey,
    -Ethan

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Man, Jay, I am somewhat handy myself and would have probably attempted something like this many years ago, but luckily (I guess) I moved to a warm climate that doesn't really requite GHs. Sunrooms work fine for most of the tender plants I've ever had. But what a nightmare

Anyway, if I lived near you, I'd come help too - Gosh I wish you luck......

OldMangoDog

• franktank232
    13 years ago

My brother put a heat exchanger (think that is what they call them)... Brings in fresh outside air and takes heat from inside air to warm that incoming air. One effect it has is removing moisture, so his house is like a desert in winter. Their skin literally cracks open. Could be something to look at if you have high moisture issues. Getting rid of excess moisture through venting also gets rid of a lot of high priced heat...

Moisture is a pain in the butt. I was about to insulate my basement and after researching it for a long time, decided against it because some people were having horrible mold problems after building walls/etc.