Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark wood mango disease

Posted by sapote 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:37

Couple months ago I chopped my 5ft tall Valencia Pride down to 1ft when I found it had the "dark wood" disease: the center hardwood had dark brown stain and the surrounding bark was watery rot. I kept cutting down the trunk until the wood was clear from stain. But it seems I didn�t cut down far enough and this morning I found the same disease with upper branch dying off, so I cut it again and burning the knife blade after every cut. Well, here all it left with about 1.5" above the graft line (black color tree wound compound). Should I keep the stump in shade or out in normal sunlight in hope that I could recover? What is the right way to deal with this disease?

Sapote

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark wood mango disease

stump

o

original

o

I believe the disease is Verticillium Wilt:
http://www.dawn.com/news/390364/disease-destroying-mango-trees.
Through my many years working with mangoes, I had a few cases with this disease and never be able to save one plant, because based on the article, the root was infected.

This post was edited by sapote on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 17:40

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here