Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

About freaking time!

ohiojay
13 years ago

Gold nugget jack finally producing a bloom. I guess those threats of the axe got thru to it.

Comments (12)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Good work....or rather good patience. Now, do you have a female bloom coming? You might. Hard to tell from the picture. The spur looks promising though. Good luck!

Harry

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

oh very nice, congrats Jay! Hope that gets pollinated and the tree holds

Tim

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Ooooooh pretty, I hope this is the start of many more to come.

congrats,
    -Ethan

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Great news! The only downside is that you've waited all this time for a mediocre fruit. Let me know when you'd like some budwood from a superior cultivar to top work your tree with. :)

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sheehan...just what I needed!! I'm going to go ice down my nads now.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice! How many years did it end up being? I am hoping to see the same on mine this year.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

wow that trunk looks immense- ant believe you have that growing inside a treehouse. thats thicker than many of the trees i have growing outdoors.

sheehan knows all about waiting (for car rental companies to come tow his car for him!!!!!!!!!!)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Very impressive!! How tall is your Gold Nugget and can you post pics of the entire tree?

Thank you for inspiring us zone-pushers!

-Bo

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats!! Amazing you guys can grow those in Ohio...really great work! Keep us posted!

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It will be 4 yrs come May. It has been at the top of the greenhouse, roughly 13', since probably the first year. I've pruned it back, down, in, and out more times than I can count. Limited space remember? My theory is that if they fruit a lot on and near the trunk, then I don't need a canopy stretching across the greenhouse!

Right now it looks not much bigger around than a pole and very thinned out. This was in anticipation of a construction crew coming in to fix my water/moisture damage that doesn't quite care about my plants as much as I do. So I pruned it heavily to allow them plenty of room in that corner. This could have spurred on this bloom. I would dearly love to see many more...especially a female or two... but not holding my breath.

Gerry...thanks...well played.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Jay - good luck with jak and your moisture problem - I'd love to here that they got it all squared away.....

MangoFreakin'Dog

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

Good news, Jay. Let's hope more join the party.