Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sorry looking mango

Posted by greenthumbon1hand 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 15:55

Hi,
I have a cogshall mango in a clay pot, and it's not doing so hot. It has black spots all over it (anthracnose?), so I sprayed it with neem a couple of days ago right before sunset. Now, the leaves are turning yellow, mostly at the bottom (due to the neem, anthracnose, watering, nutrient deficiency?), and there is no new growth. I water it about once a week (I'm thinking that maybe I need to water it more?). Please help me not send this lil' guy to the compost heap!

Thanks,

A potential (but remorsefull) mango killer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sorry looking mango

more sadness.....

o

the plant overall

o

How long you planted it in the pot? it looks fine to me.

Sapote

o

It looks COMPLETELY healthy to me. Don't you know that some of the older leaves will eventually fall off....

MDOG

o

Thanks for the replies! I've had it in a pot for about 2 weeks (when I first got it), and the day after I sprayed it with neem, several of the bottom leaves were yellow (which they weren't before). Since then, more leaves have been turning yellow. I've read that yellow leaves can be due to underwatering, so I soaked it tonight and hopefully it will get better (I live in Ft. Lauderdale and it's outside in full sun and I only water about twice a week).
Any idea on the black spots?

o

Black spots? it's normal with mangoes.

o

Wish my mango trees looked as healthy as yours !

o

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but need to ask a question to other members:

I don't have a Cogshall, but the tree in these photos look the same as my Edward. Are they similar in shape? came from one original grandma?

Sapote

o

does anyone know why there isn't any new growth?

o

new growth: just wait few more weeks with right weather.

o

thanks!

o

Your tree looks fine to me as well...You should have new growths in a few weeks like Sapote said. Spring and summer will be your best bet for new growths...give it lots of sun...water when slightly or almost dry. The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the Clay pot for a mango..keep an eye out as Clay pots dry out faster than plastic. Since you're in zone 10a you probably don't have to worry about frost or freeze...but you probably get very warm in the Spring and Summer so keep an eye that your tree doesn't go bone dry...check it daily when the temps starts to rise. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here