Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Curtator's Choice Mangoes(Fairchild Botanical Gardens)

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to try these mango fruits. 0f the varieties I saw there Jean Ellen, Angie and Emerald sound like good candidate for pot culture. I was also thinking of the Manilita. So far, I cannot find any mail order nurseries that carry them, though I know that Pine Island often has varieties that they don't list.

I did order 'Carrie' from Plantogram. Mickey told me that they can guarentee safe delivery of there trees during thge winter. I still waited until temps went above freezing in my area to have it shipped. Mid week were supposed to have temps in the high 40's low 50's.

I also will be getting a free Acerola tree along with Carrie.

Mickey also told me that there mango trees are larger. Between 4 and 6ft. However, he told me that his 'Carrie' trees are smaller. He did tell me that his Julies, Manillita, and a few others are larger.

Andrew

Comments (19)

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the second time I have heard of this 27-1 here. IS this a new variety? Is it even for soale yet? I would like to find out more about it.
    Andrew

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Yes, the Zill family has discovered/bred a bunch of excellent mangoes including the pickering, dot, carrie, julie, etc.

Dr Cambpell likes two characteristics in a mango: ability to keep the tree small, and a mango that comes off the tree before the rainy season kicks in (ie, an early mango). The other important factor to keep in mind is that Dr Campbell grows his trees in a unique way, feeding them only potassium and never irrigating them, which he claims has the effect of raising the level of brix. Soil and culture can have dramatic impact on mango flavor. So, a mango that tastes excellent when grown at Williams Grove could be so-so when grown as a dooryard tree using traditional 8-3-9.

27-1 (lemon zest) has been released for sale as of about a month ago. Sheehan posted about it in 2009.

Jeff

• squam256
    13 years ago

I have not had Jean Ellen but it got absolutely panned by both people here and people I talked to who tried it.

At the same time, Campbell promoted 'Fairchild' a lot as well and that is an excellent mango. Rosigold and Cogshall are 2 other varieties promoted by him and FTBG that have been well received,

I tend to agree though that Zill's has produced that best 'new varieties' over the decades, mostly stemming from the Julie line and the Zill line. Some varieties that have been introduced via Zill's:

Julie (introduced from Jamaica)
    Bombay (another Jamaican intro)
    Carrie
    Zill
    Dot
    Spirit of '76
    Jakarta
    Beverly

and others.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Jeff,
    Was the Zill family the first to bring the Julie to the US? Any idea which Caribbean island it originated in? I've asked a few different people and have gotten a few different answers. Of course each island wishes to claim it as their own. I've also cut back on my nitrogen after visiting Williams Grove(now known as Fairchild Farm) and seeing how good his mangos are doing without it's application. Also to avoid jelly seed.

Andrew,
    Lemon zest is one of the best mangos I've ever had but ive never actually seen a fruiting tree so I can't tell you first hand about its growth habit.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Not sure on the Julie. I'm thinking there was an article with some info on it in the FSHS archives, but I've been unable to access the archives for a couple of weeks now :-(.

Jeff

• squam256
    13 years ago

I think the article you might be talking about Jeff was a 1961 article by M.U. Mounts. I saved a lot of those old articles anticipating the FSHS site would "fail" in the future (I think its happened before). Some GREAT material in their archives by the way for people interested about the history/development of tropical fruit in Florida. Anyway, that article claimed (erroneously, I believe)that Julie was named after Lawrence's grandmother, but I believe it was the Sophie Fry.

Here's an article written about Zill and James Miner in 1954 that some of you might find interesting:

Here is a link that might be useful: Zill/Miner article May 15 1954

• zands
    13 years ago

Squam
    Just read that link from Palm Beach Post. Very nice

• pepperseed
    13 years ago

I won't claim that the Julie originated in Jamaica because I don't know, but this is a variety I grew up with there. The correct name is "St. Julian" but with the Jamaican propensity for nicknames, it became shortened to "Julie"

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Fairchild says Jamaica

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/mangotrees.html

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if Pine has the lemon zest mango? I just wonder how hard it will be too find this tree. I am hoping to be down there in May this year. Kindof a wait and see deal right now. I am hoping to find some of these new varieties and learn what I can while I am there.
    Andrew

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Ohh goodness. That's an interesting article, squam.

Jeff

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Squam,
    I showed the mango article today to Lawrence's daughter, Marlys, and she found it very interesting. I don't think she even knew this article existed.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Murahilin, very neat!

• adiel
    13 years ago

Has anyone compared the "lemon zest" against other top varieties such as an Edward or a Dot? I am wondering if its just another mango passing by or is it worth consideration...

Adiel

• j1mw3b
    12 years ago

I stumbled on this web site and thought to post about the lemon zest mango.
    My 35 year old mango tree is getting old in the tooth (like me) and has a few dead limbs with termites so figured to line up a couple replacements. Had got lucky with it years ago from Zill in their old location - forgot the name of it.
    I researched and had decided on Fairchild, Pickering, and/or Nam Doc Mai. Went to Zill and tasted a few different varieties. Then the Lemon Zest and wow! Got that one. Best I ever had.
    They also had a new "patented" variety - a "Coconut something" and it was even better but tree price was much higher so passed on it.

Asked a couple of the workers and several said favorite was the Lemon Zest. I had never heard of it before visiting Zill's.

BTW, the name of mine I think was "Wally" but they said they don't propagate that one anymore. Not sure really, but it is a derivative I recall of Springfels, but with no fiber a

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

I know it's hard to talk about flavors, but how would you describe the lemon zest mango? Are flavor and shape more Indian or Asian or ? Is it tart, like a lemon? Is the tree considered disease-resistant, or productive?
    Thanks.

• j1mw3b
    12 years ago

It is hard to describe flavors. It was very sweet and firm and delicious - dunno where the "lemon" part of the name came from. Far as Indian or Asian, I am not that versed in mangoes. Just know what I like - tasted a few that I didn't care for. That patented new "Coconut xxx" was even better.
    I asked if the tree was hardy and she said it was. I also got a Julie for a friend, and a Pickering and Fairchild for myself. Never tried them, but heard the Pickering has cocunut flavor so nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also a Munro avocado. Years ago when first moved here planted all kinds of tropical fruit trees, now all gone. Just couldn't resist getting some trees when mine didn't give me much fruit this year.

Sorry, I know this doesn't really help. Taste is subjective. E.g. the Zill lady said she thinks the Julie is not very good and that they taste much different (better) in the islands than in Florida.

BTW, they are very nice folks there.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Thanks. Sweet and firm and delicious. Sounds like a must have.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert