Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleep_gw

Hello

sleep
13 years ago

I thought I would say a quick 'Hello" and introduce myself briefly. I am a native of So Cal, Transplanted here to SoFla about 15 years ago. I moved to my current home in western Broward about 6 years ago, which had 4 mango trees established. I quickly became somewhat obsessed with the mango, and have been building my collection of Mango trees, as well as some other Fruit trees.

I have had some success in topworking my established turpentine mango tree, and am currently looking to add some variety to my current collection of Fruit.

List of trees include:

Haden ( 10+ years)

Glenn (10+ years)

Valencia Pride ( 10+ years)

Turpentine (10+) topworked with Glenn, Khun see, Florigon, and Val-carrie

Alfonso (3 yrs)

Cogshall (3 yrs)

Rosiegold (3 yrs)

Heidi (3 yrs)

Nam Doc Mai (3 yrs)

Fairchild (3 yrs)

Carrie (3 yrs)

Angie (2 yrs)

Choc Annon ( 2 years)

Kent ( 2 years)

Lancetilla (2 years)

Ice Cream ( 2 years)

Mallika ( 2 years)

Tebow (1 year)

Pairi (1 year)

Langra Benarsi ( 1 year)

Neelum ( 1 year)

Pickering ( 1 year)

Alanpur Baneshan ( 1year )

Other Fruit trees:

Mauritus Lychee ( 2 years)

Sweetheart Lychee (2 years)

Brewster Lychee ( 1 year)

Jackfruit ( 2 years) Bangkok Lemon ( from 25 gallon)

Jackfruit seedling

Pakistani Mulberry ( 2 years)

Dragon Fruit ( 2 years) Purple Haze

Sweetsop ( 6+ years)

Guabana ( 6 years, only fruited once)

Carambola ( 2 years) Kari

Caimito ( 6+ years)

Sapodilla ( 6 years)

Hog Plum ( 10+ years)

Well I think that is it.... Seems like quite a list, but I feel like I am painfully waiting for all the young ones to grow up !!

Comments (34)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Welcome to our jungle ~ You are in good company!

Nice list of mango and other tropical fruits trees you have there. Would love to see pics!

-Bo

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice! Welcome to garden web!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

More than respectable list of trees. Welcome! Where is west Broward are you?

Harry

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Wow Sleep, that is quite a selection of trees.

congrats,
    -Ethan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ahh...another Southwest Rancher......again welcome and thanks for posting the pictures. You are not too far from me. I guess you must be between Sheridan and Stirling a couple miles west of me. On your list of mangoes, missing from my collection are Heidi and Pairi. Have you had both fruits? If so, how would you rate them?

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't seem to figure out how to post the images here :(

Maybe a link will work ?

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/vapordoc/Trees%202011/IMG_1290.jpg

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great pics! I hope ya don't mind if I post them here.

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great ! Thanks yaslan !

How did U do that ?

Harry - I have never tried a Heidi . My tree has one lonely flower on it as of now, and I am crossing my fingers that I will get a chance to taste one this year. It is large enough to hold fruit, but I think I planted it where it gets more shade than it should, so it may take another year or two to become nice and productive.
    I just planted my Pairi last year, so it is way too small to hold fruit yet. The cold snap also did some damage to my smaller trees like the Pairi. Even killed my 6 month old Julie and Emerald. I did try the Pairi at Fairchild last summer, and I thought it was very good. Tough to tell if it was picked at it's peak, but as it was, I felt it was the best I had tried at the tasting, and worth adding to my collection ...

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Goto your photobucket album and drag the arrow on the pic you want, then a menu will appear. Copy and paste the html code. It's not the best of instructions but I hope this helps.

-Bo

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cool, got it :). Will post up more pics tomorrow

Heidi

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Nice! Love the pic of your guard dog and little one ( :

-Bo

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

If you get extra fruit on either Heidi or Pairi, I'd love to try them. I'd offer you a trade of whatever I have that you haven't tried. Thanks.

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry ,

Of course :) I will let you know what is happening with the Heidi. Maybe the tree will surprise me and come into full bloom over the next month. We'll see ...

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum Heidi! Wow...you sure have an awesome collection of Mango trees and other tropical fruit trees. Thanks for posting the pictures...nice job Bo! Yes, your little one is adorable and nice dogs too!

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the comments everyone :) The dogs are Cane Corso's which are a type of Italian Mastiff. Very athletic Mastiffs.

Couple more pics ..

Nam Doc Mai with purple Haze Dragon Fruit on the fence

Kari Carambola

Mauritus Lychee

I'll post up some new pics when fruit start to develop :)

Sleep

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

If you click on my name above you will see my growlist. for some reason I cant update it so it should include Cushman and Dot mango

Your dog is like mine and gets jealous when you spend too much time with trees and take pictures of them :)

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kush, what a great list. How does the Jack Chempendak hybrid do in our climate? Has it fruited? I am attempting to order one from Frankie's at the moment.....

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Its doing great. If you grow some seedlings you can come get some wood to try and graft.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

oh yeah, I got it from Pine Island as a 7 gallon. if you wanted a tree you might want to try with them

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have a pair of 1 yr old Jack seedlings in the ground. I would love to have some wood and graft it !!

I have only side veneer grafted mango's, with a pretty good success rate. That should work with the hybrid grafted onto the Jack seedling right?

Thanks !!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

well, I work a 9-5 weekdays and am usually around weekends, email me. If you want you can bring the seedlings over and try to even graft to a live lower branch and so it eventually takes. i hear Jackfruit can be difficult to graft

this was a year ago:

a few weeks ago:

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Very Nice !! After I see photos like your of grand yards filled with lots and lots of beautiful fruit trees I always suffer "acre envy" since my yard is like a postage stamp relatively speaking :)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Marinfla, my yard is probably less than 1/4 acre, with arduous pruning (aka " pugging") you can fit a lot into a small dooryard

Sleep, I notice you've had an angie mango for two years, didn't know they were out that long. Any fruit to speak of?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Hello HELLO.....my battery's dying but just wanted to say
    HELLO one more time...i'll chime in later....

mangowoofy

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kush,

Your hybrid looks great! my Jack seedlings are in the ground and are acually about the same size. I would need a few pieces of wood to attempt topworking one of them, and I would hate to impair your tree. I can always try Pine Island and try to get a Jak hybrid from them if you think it would be tough to donate a few scions to my seedlings ..

The Angie will be 2 years in the ground this July. It has grown very well since planted as a Fairchild 2 gallon plant. It has quite a few flowers and is setting fruit well. I feel pretty confident that it will hold at least a few to maturity.....

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Angie Mango about 3 weeks ago

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice pics! Welcome!

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Sleep - u got a lucky mango inheritance going there, and have added admirable stock to the company!

You will be one of those that has to report on yield and taste when the time comes, with pics of course.....yep, some responsibility there, now that you've opened your mango forest to the world.....

Good luck - you'll be a sage in no time....

mangofleabag

• adiel
    13 years ago

Sleep, that is a beautiful collection of mangos. Congrats and welcome to the forum. Let us know what you think of the "Angie" mango since its a relatively new variety.

Adiel

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I have to agree with Adiel and mangodog. That is an impressive mango tree collection! I too would like to know how Jean Ellen tastes, all though by the time you get to sample the fruits, I will probobly have no more room for any more mango trees!
    andrew

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Angie mango (2 yrs) is really setting fruit nicely .

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forums Sleep. Nice collection of tropical fruit trees.

• britlexliv
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I would like to get some turpentine seeds for use as root stock for some veneer grafts that I would like to make. I live in Miami, FL. Do you have any that I can buy from you? I am in Maine but will be returning home to Miami on Monday 13th June. If you cannot help, do you know where I can get some seeds?
    Errol

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists