Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb0305

Spanish Lime

Deb0305
10 years ago

As a child in Panama our parents used to bring us little bags of what we called guineps as a treat. I understand they are Spanish Limes (mamoncillo). Has anyone had success growing them in a pot and where could I purchase one? No one knows what I'm talking about in Arizona.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

I think you are talking about the same plant that my family from Nicaragua calls a mamón (Melicoccus bijugatus). See the wikipedia link below. They are related to lychees, longans, and rambutans. In Nicaragua I saw some lychees in the store labeled "mamones chinos".

As far as I know, not many people grow them. I have a couple that I've started from seed that grow in my apartment in pots. They are pretty finicky especially when it comes to water (too much or too little) and fertilizer (even a little has been bad for my plants). As far as I can tell we've only had one thread on Garden Web about them:

See thread here

I just did a quick search and see a couple seedling for sale from Puerto Rico on ebay so you might want to try there for a plant. Let me know if you get one! I'm always interested in hearing how they do for other people.

ryan

Here is a link that might be useful: Melicoccus bijugatus

• Carlincooling
    10 years ago

I have 3 different types. The biggest one is 50 tall and gets blooms all over it very year, but no fruit.
    They need a male and a female in the area to produce. So last year I bought 2 different types. They are small though.
    I bought them from Mickey at plantogram in Orlando, Fl. He has a website.
    I am located in Southwest Florida close to the water. We get a freeze once about every 10-12 years for about 2 hours in the pre dawn.
    About 5 years ago it got down to 32 for 2 hours. The tree lost about 50% of its leaves. In spring it came out with a flush of new growth.
    I go to St Croix, VI every year on vacation, and their are thousands of them there growing wild. You can pick them right off the trees. My wife loves them.
    It might get a little to cold to grow them in your area if you are not in zone 10b or warmer.
    Good luck!
    Kevin

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

Kevin, are yours all grafted females? Have you ever tried rooting a cutting from one?

Mine are all seed grown and as I mentioned have variable hardiness so it made me wonder if it is difficult to get consistently good rootstock for grafted trees.

For the new trees you bought, is one then a male? I know some of the trees have both sexes but I don't know how common that is.

• Carlincooling
    10 years ago

Hi,
    There is no way of telling until they get older. The 2 that I bought last year, are females. I is called Mongomery, the other is sosa. I'm hoping that at least one of my older trees is male.
    Kevin