Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does cross pollinating Cherimoya affect the fruit?

Posted by hammerhead06 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 17:53

I have a cherimoya and an atemoya, and I was wondering if there is any benefit or downside to cross-pollinating between them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does cross pollinating Cherimoya affect the fruit?

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 21:13

No real experience, but from the many post about the moya and atemoya plant, is that they can be used to cross pollinate each other(after all atemoya is a sugar apple x cherimoyaa hybrid). The resulting fruits will not change, but if you plant the seeds from that cross pollinated fruits seeds, it will not be either a moya or atemoya. But, might look more on the moya side, since your back cross pollinating with a parent plant. That's why atemoya seeds are only planted for fun or rootstock purpose, but moya is usually used for rootstock, due to their better cold and wet feet tolerance. And like most hybrid fruits, atemoya seeds will not come true to be a sugar apple or cherimoya.

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 21:35

No real experience, but from the many post about the moya and atemoya plant, is that they can be used to cross pollinate each other(after all atemoya is a sugar apple x cherimoyaa hybrid). The resulting fruits will not change, but if you plant the seeds from that cross pollinated fruits seeds, it will not be either a moya or atemoya. But, might look more on the moya side, since your back cross pollinating with a parent plant. That's why atemoya seeds are only planted for fun or rootstock purpose, but moya is usually used for rootstock, due to their better cold and wet feet tolerance. And like most hybrid fruits, atemoya seeds will not come true to be a sugar apple or cherimoya.

o

I'm not too concerned with the seeds at this point, just curious if it would affect the taste. Guess it makes sense it wouldn't, otherwise you'd get a lot of variation from natural pollinators. Having to do my own pollination made me think a little more about it... which gets dangerous :)

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 1:50

Ya, just don't over think it too much, it can get dangerous as you say ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here