Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_grow

maprang chit chat

j-grow
13 years ago

I am still trying to get info on this little fruit. Taste?? Cold tolorence???? Varieties??? Any sources to purchase a tree???? Do you guys/gals have any new info?

Comments (16)

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi,

By chance, I stumbled upon this article about maprang just the other day:

http://www.rarefruitaustralia.org/rfca/articles/Andrews-Maprang.pdf

Tomas

• murahilin
    13 years ago

J-grow,
    Are you in FL?

I have no idea what it tastes like but Jsvand on this forum has managed to fruit his 'Mayong Chid' maprang in Ocala. He will be able to tell you.

The cold tolerance seems almost as good as mango. I've seen them get in the 30s with no visible damage. At Excalibur in Lake Worth there is a 5-6ft tall grafted maprang growing outdoors in a container. It's been there for about two years without cold protection and its doing fine.

I've grown about 20 seedlings, of which i've killed 16. Of the surviving 4, I've given two away and the two I have left look like they are getting ready to do. I originally had a grafted 'mayong chid' and a grafted 'kai' but I've recently given away my mayong chid. My 'kai' doesn't look so great though.

Some other varieties are 'McNaughton'(which there is a 7ft tall grafted tree growing outdoors at Fairchild in Miami), 'Wan'(which I think is the variety from Whitman), Mayong Chid(from Thailand), and Kai(I think from Thailand, im not sure though). There are other varieties of course but these are the only ones I've heard much of.

Frankie's Nursery in Hawaii have grafted maprang available. If you do live in FL or will be here anytime this year you can join in on a possible Frankie's order(to cut down shipping costs) and pick up your tree from me whenever you're able. That's what Jsvand did last year and the 'kai' tree he bought from Frankie's flowered already.

• pepperseed
    13 years ago

Hi, All. Sheehan, if there is a Frankie's order in the near future I'd like in.
    Thanks
    Jen

• zands
    13 years ago

What time of year would it fruit in Florida?
    I would be interested in any kind of sweet maprang variety. Grafted I hope. Mango and maprang seem to be cousins. My guess it is a more primitive tree thus more hardy

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Jen,
    I think the Frankies order will be around March. I recently called them and a lot of the trees arent ready yet but should be ready by then. Their stock is always limited though and many things on their list are not available. I'll let you know when I plan on ordering.

Zands,
    Yup mango and maprang are in the same family. I would not go so far as to say "primitive" means more hardy with related species. Maprangs seem to flower around January in FL and if you search the forum you'll see jsvands post from last year detailing the development of his maprang fruit.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Sheehan,
    Have you heard if they are back from there trip? I know they were going to I believe Vietnam but not too sure now.

I also want to order from them again but I want to see what they brought back from there trip. The 'Maha Chinook' I bought from them lastr fall is doing really well for me. The graft on that tree was way better than what I had at Top!

I have been thinking of adding another tropical fruit tree to my collection but something that I don't have all ready.

I also know that I am going to only have room for 2 more mango trees and I was wondering if you had any suggestions there.

Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Murahilin pretty much covered everything,but the taste is very much like a mango but the pulp is much smoother and softer. I only had one to sample last year but I would put it right up with the best mangoes that I have had. Both of my trees are flowering now so hopefully they will both hold onto a couple fruit. My mayong chid has at least doubled in size since last year. It's probably at least 4ft. The kai is still really small. The flowering and fruiting time seems to line up with mangoes. My trees have seen temps well below 40 with no damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruiting thread

• j-grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would love to be included in that order! I do live in Fl in Merritt Island. Knock on wood it looks to be a good bloom for my mangoes but that maprang really has my curiosity. How do i keep in touch on that order?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

j-grow,
    I will make a post in the forum about a week or two before I plan on ordering to give everyone who's interested enough time to join in on it.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Murahilin, have you talked to Frankies recently to see if they will have more in stock than what we were able to pick from last season?

I checked on my Mayong chid yesterday. It is now starting to bloom as well. Hopefully I get more than one fruit this year. Hopefully I'll have enough so I can send a couple to Jay so he can finally taste one. Any blooms on your trees yet Jay?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if maprang is a polyembryonic or monoembryonic seedling ? does it come true

also it looks close enough genetically to hybridize ie: maprango

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Not yet John. Mayong chid's been sitting in that "ready to do something " state for a while now...you know what I mean. It will do something in it's own good time. Still healthy and that's good. Kai maprang looks like crap. It's been a sickly plant from day 1. Everyday that goes by and it is still alive is a surprise.

I believe the maprang may come pretty close to true type. I know I've been told something like this. Not 100% on this though.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Jsvand,
    I spoke to them a few weeks ago and they said that they should have some trees but I will call again soon to verify.

Mangokush,
    I think the seeds are monoembyronic. I've grown seeds from Malaysia and Hawaii and both were monoembryonic. Seedlings I've seen from Thailand were also monoembryonic. Could still possibly be some that might be polyembryonic. I've heard the same thing as Jay that they come pretty close to type from seed. When I get a chance I'll try and verify it.
    Not sure how easily they will hybridize with mango with both being from different genera though.

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Anyone know where I can purchase a Maprang Mayong chid and Kai? I'm looking for grafted tree's that can be shipped to CA. Thanks in advance!
    Simon

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Frankies is the only source I know of.

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

I was afraid someone would tell me that. I emailed Frankies and they said they can't ship to CA because it was grown on the ground and not on thier special table. I ordered some seeds.

jsvand5, after seeing your beautiful tree fruit, I really want one. Please keep us updated on how both your Maprang are doing.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County