Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Mangodog's Mango Yard Tour

mangodog
13 years ago

OK Folks....guess it's my turn to turn on the camera and show ya what I got.....All taken Feb. 6, 2011

Alphonzo in the front yard, 10 feet from the street

Alphie's Burn Notice from our recent, most cold frost..

---this one some have seen before - Grandpa Manila

..and here's Grandpa from the Roof - makes for easy pickins...

I've already shown ole' Rosie before but here she is again:

Here's Glenn, next to the pond....

..and Glenn going bud wild...

...timotayo lightly salted by the frost....

Here's Lance(tilla) also braised by the frost....

Nam Doc Mai - same old story...sigh...

Edward hiding next to the sauna....

Chocanon/Miracle mango...holding on...

..unknown mango that sprouted from rootstock - do I hear "grafting" in some thoughts?

..this is an interesting location - a little light pocket on the side of my garage surrounded by sheds - a triple threat - NDM, Haden and Valencia Pride

My Keitt tucked between two towering palms - who knew?

..and lastly, each picture snapped left to right - a panorama of my back yard....

(with my Amber dog- 17 in June!)

oh wait...one more...the pond residents LaRonda, Shontelle and Tyriiq - see if you can find them!

Comments (41)

• jacob13
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow,

Beautiful backyard my friend. Can I come over and go swimming?

- Jacob

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Jacob(Y and Meyers) - thanks.....sure, come for a dip -it's a balmy 61 degrees right now!

You see I "did up" my whole backyard (which was just sand and weeds when we bought it) before I found this mango passion and so left little room for finding homes for my new friends, so...they're all kind of squeezed into nooks and crannies - we'll just have to see how this works.

Isn't Santa Barbara having some nice weather now too? What about a walk into the Pacific surf...lol....with your surfboard....

mangodogdays

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow is right!! What a great backyard and all those mango trees, just amazing! Even the frost nip ones looks great...all of them appear to have survived the worst of it. I'm sure they will all recover just fine. Thanks for the great pictures! Truly enjoyed the tour...the pool and pond looks very nice as well, so relaxing and inviting

Your dog is awesome...17 years old in June...Wow! Congrats, must be on a great diet and exercise program,lol...

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks PUGLES....I'm still not over YOUR pain yet, and here you are throwing out such gracious words.

Amber is walked twice a day about 30 min. each time, and then there's the new addition to the family - GRACIE - a 9 pound 2 year old Minature Poodle and ShihTzu mix - I call it a ShitPoo! She keeps amber a bit off balance too....you know...from falling completely in to old age like we do.....heeheeeeeeeeee.....

Yes, the frost nipped ones will make it but it still pains me that it probably happened on the LAST one of the season...the LAST ONE - and they were all looking so good before....oh well....

I should consider myself (and do) lucky compared to what you've had to go through......

TheGrrrrrrInMango

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoDog-

Wow! Now we know where to hang out for spring vacation LOL Your mangos look great! Those are little bruises considering that you had back to back freeze warnings. If you have anymore room I would like to donate a tree to you in the name of California tropical fruit interest. I'll email you later.

JF

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Wow MangoDog,
    what a beautiful backyard, love the ponds and pools plus of course all the beautiful mangoes (and sweet Amber).

thanks for showing off the place,
    -Ethan

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hey Mangoperro,

I missed it last time, but was looking at your pics again because everything look so Great, and wanted to know if those are 2 Traveler's Palms you have in your Backyard?

- Jacob

• zands
    13 years ago

You have created an oasis in the desert. Well done! You have lots of greenery. You have a lily pond and a swimming pool. Good feng shui from what little I know

Do you use drip irrigation? You must

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

looks like you have a nice microclimate and wind protection going on, that definitely helps. what type of winter protection do you provide?

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Great yard! I love the panoramic shots showing the overall effect of your landscaping. Thanks for sharing!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Gary:

Very interesting and beautiful yard! It shows a whole lot of time spent in its creation. Growing mangoes in such a location is very interesting to me. I'm sure you have a completely different set of issues to consume your day to day thoughts than we have here in Florida. I would be most interested to have a taste comparison between same cultivar mangoes grown there as compared to here to see how the flavors and over all fruit quality compare.

Harry

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

Mangodog, tastefully done backyard and I hope you get tasteful mangoes from them too. Cannot believe that the desert still has enough frosts to get to them.
    Maybe, one day, I might be able to retire to Palm Springs, have a lovely pool, Koi pond, lovely dog and a dozen mango trees and live the perfect life!
    Loved the picture of LaRonda, Shontelle and Tyriiq!
    Let us know what your Alfonoso tastes like when you have the fruits.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jacob13 - you are a sharp one - yes Traveler Palms purchased somewhere in Manhattan Beach I think 5 years ago - the Jan 2008 frost killed em all except these two, and each year they keep getting nipped by frost, damaging their leaves (like bananas)but they come back. I think these guys will make it over the long haul baring any lower to mid-20's temps. How did you know about them?
    You must have traveled to the far east at some point....

Zands - I've been told I accidentally created good FengShui with my placement of the waterfall facing the double sets of glass sliders looking out of the back part of the house. And yes, Drip and Sprinkler irrigation is a MUST out here if you have lots of plants, though a guy down the street hand waters and soaks infrequently his stuff - too much time wasted unnecesarily for me....

MangoK - well...so far my winter protection has been blankets draped over the 5 foot plants like the Alphonso and the Edward, and plastic dry cleaner bags pulled over the tomato cages on the small, newly planted mangos. Not much protection and will only be good for this winter season as they will outgrow their protectors (I assume) by the end of this year. I'm going to start building some PVC structures for next year's winter that I'll put plastic over for those challenging nights....and no supplemental heat used as yet, but will need to figure that out by the end of this year as well....

thanks red sea and sun worshipper - I just want 5 years to pass like THAT and then send some more enticing, mouth-watering pics!

Harry - I'm feeling the exact same way - just how differently, because of such radically different humidity and Temp variations we each have, will these mangos taste compared to those from your climate's? Ah....but how to work out the time and distance details....hmmmmm.....we'll have to work on that - perhaps a trip to Florida when several varieties we both grow are fruiting for a taste test, then a trip for you out here to taste when several of the same that I have are fruiting.....or....there's always the ship and send method with (of course) some effect on the taste testing.....Although I would imagine you have NO time to travel during the growing season with some much acreage in wild production!!!!! And I've still got at least a couple years to wait to get a handle of fruit from any of the small trees, yes?

Ashley - yep, we sure do get them there frosties here........usually 2-4 per winter, but rarely below 32.... I love it here and feel it's a pretty good life...though we have shakers sometimes (as I'm sure you know!)

MangoDog'sLunchTime

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoDog -

the 3 for 1 tree looks great. Valencia Pride are one of the fastest growing grafted mango trees in Socal if you don't monitor it it will dominate your tree. Our good friend Jesus bought one from Mimosa last year, about the size of your Glenn, and by the end of the summer it was almost 10'. Is your Keitt blooming? and when does your Manila start to bloom?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

grrrrrr...I just created a whole message that I lost and now will send out my limited grumpier version....

Yes, Fernando Dog, I have been warned about the fast growing Valencia, and will try to keep the triumvarate egually trimed and quaffed up till they get maybe 10 feet high, then leave them to the whim of the Mango Gods!

And another yes - Mr. Keitt is pushing bloomy buds as is Old Man Manny (Manila) - very exciting time of the year, eh?

You know, when I think about it now, the fact that my mangos are definitely blooming later than Florida's and even your more coastal climated trees means it will be less likely I will lose the florets or baby mangos to frost overall. I mean I hate being LAST on the list to produce fruit and that is frustrating on one level, but on another it shows the amazing intelligence of Mother Nature in our different climates.

I can only bow sometimes......mangowoofmeister

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Your house is Awesome! Love your choice of mangoes and your yard is more like a spa. I bet its wonderful to get off work and have a beer under the shade of your tropical paradise.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Mangozon -

I just got my CRFG newsletter today and David Karp, L.A. Times Market Watch and The Fruit Gardener, will be the guest speaker on the April 21st meeting. Interesting dude.

simon grow -

Quick question about your local CRFG. Are there any schedule meetings dedicated to Mangos this year?

JF

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Simon....all the hard work - planning, digging, planting, changing designs then planting new plants, etc. has paid off. Now I just want to get those mangos a little bigger and healthier because as we all know, they are most susceptible when very young to all kinds of things.....and yes, I do love having breakfast out there in the warmer weather, and evening parties, etc.....yeah....it feels like a special place to me...

JF - what is Mr. Karp going to talk about? If it's Orange County, it's probably going to be on AVOCADOS!!!!!!!! You know I'm on the search for a "local" group (less than, say, 60 miles from me) that is in to mangos. And still haven't met anyone out here in the desert who grows any except my across the street neighbor who I got involved - he's got a Lowe's manila and a valencia pride (the latter a christmas gift from me)

I DO WANT TO SAY TO EVERYONE - IF YOU ARE EVER PASSING THROUGH PALM SPRINGS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STOP BY. I am still working as retirement was cut short by the real estate collapse, but I'll be happy to show you the place as much of my work is from home. (Simon - I'll even have a beer ready for YOU! everyone else can have my homemade limeade...) I think you can email me from MY PAGE if you think you might be coming this way....

MangoDogWhoDoesn'tBite

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoHoudini -

I think he's going to talk about exotics. We don't need any Avocado speakers in our LOCAL we have Julie Frink, curator of the south coast research station in Irvine, that's like having Harry in the house. Gary, you are a very persuasive person you can use those skills to steer the conversation to MANGOS afterall he has written extensively about the Coachella project. Here is his lastest article on mangos, I have posted this article before.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-marketwatch-20100813,0,5060129.story

JF

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

David Karp has lots of info on mangosteen in addition to lots of other stuff, interesting fellow for sure.

-Ethan

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Hey jfernandez, I do not keep up with the San Diego CRFG because I have an 8 month old daughter that is taking up most of my free time. For more information especially about mangos, I would contact Leo Manuel as he is our local expert here in San Diego. I can't wait for the day when I can retire and work on my garden all day.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, J-Fro - I've read that article. and so he's the guy that wrote it I see....well.....this is a possibility - I WOULD love to grill him on that project in Coachella - pick his mango-lovin' brain.....

when did you say he was speaking? This could be good for desert contacts,too, him knowing perhaps others that grow out here AND some I could meet in my stifling mango loneliness......

thanks, ethan for the recommendation too - and simon for Leo (and I can't wait for the day when I retire, too,
    boo boo!)

mangobarking

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoDog -

April 21th 7:30. I've arranged a trip to San Diego for their Wed. meeting in July. They have a tour of Leo Manuel's orchard and have dedicated several other events around the Mango. I had a interesting conversation with Jim Neitzel several nights ago about mangos and he will call me when the events begin. He might attend our meeting on the 21th of April and perhaps tour the Anaheim Hills grove.

JF

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

....es posible Mr. Jaffer - that might work out. Is this at the OC Fairgrounds like that last meeting?

MangoTailWagging

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Ok Manguito -

Then I'll see you on April 21st at the OC Fairgrounds. You should search through the Hispanic community in Palm Springs I'm sure you'll find Mango growing there,

JF

• zands
    13 years ago

jfernandez>>
    Maybe it was you who posted that you can see lots of backyard mango in the LA area as you go through where Vietnamese like to live? Perhaps through some Hispanic areas too?

Its fun to drive around South Florida (Miami, Broward, Palm Beach counties) and see how many backyard mango trees there are. They are more noticeable (at a glance) when in bloom or when fruits are hanging

• alicia_grower
    13 years ago

What a beautiful yard and variety of plants you have. You did a great job on your back yard. :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Mangodog....

I just want to say that i love your yard...you have created a "vacationlike" feel..i too wanted to make my yard feel as if i was somewhere "south" maybe in the islands somewhere...with your gorgeous waterfall, pool and especially the lab..."how can life be better?"

Ok..i Know...palms!! LOL...that is my first true love of tropicals...as you can tell...I love it!! : )

Great job...the Mangos are so healthy...

Thanks for the great pics...lovely tour....

Laura in VB

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Laura and Alicia...anytime your passing through I'm happy to pour u a glass of stevia-sweetened limeade and show you how thing's are doing......It's true, I have worked to give it a paradise feel - and when the the mangos and other plants mature - it should be a very cool AND productive property.

This will probably be the last place I live in...I mean....how could any of the tropical plant lovers here with stuff in the ground ever THINK of moving....

now I'm just waiting on some warmer weather as I'm sure you are, too, Laura....

Ashley - have we seen any pics of your place yet????

MangoFido

13 years ago

Mangodog..

You ask if I am ready for spring and warmer temps?

You better believe it!!! LOL...

This is a pic from Jan...Ugggg!!!!

Unusal amount of snow for here in Va Beach....I've had enough....give me the warm breeze...ahhhh the smell of Plumeria...Ahhhh....Stevia sweetened tea...ahhhh....priceless!!!!

Just wishing for an early spring!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

{{gwi:55208}}

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Great picture Laura...post card quality. Although not great for growing tropical trees and plants,lol...

Hope you guys get your much anticipated and well deserved Spring weather very soon. Ours has arrived...upper 70's to low 80's. We finally have our nice warm FL weather back.

13 years ago

Hi Nancy...

So glad that you have your warm temps back... : ) You all certainly deserve them!!! This was a tough winter for us all...

I'm really ready...LOL!!!

Oh....i forgot one more thing that would make it even better ....Sliced Mangos!!! : )
    I absolutely love them too!!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• Azucar_Sugar
    13 years ago

Mangodog,

I like your space; very nice. I love the trees, of course, but I have to comment on the feeling -- very Zen! I really love the large, smooth stones and the pond. The bridge is super and a nice mix throughout.

Can't help but to say, "HELLO" the that beautiful dog.
    "HELLO THERE DOG"!

I know you fruit die-hards all comment on the trees/plants, but I am posting in the decorating & antiques and collectibles area too, so my eyes go to both the trees and the space you created.

May you enjoy your home,

Azucar

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Graciously appreciate your comments Azucar. Zen/Thai/Egyptian eclectic - you should see the inside with Egyptian and Indian Pictures and artifacts, grasscloth walls, bamboo floors, more buddhas and palm tree fabric on the sofa and pillows, very comfy, laid back............

Laura - you're chillin' me out with that picture....brrrrrr......I need to start my fireplace now
    to get warmed up.....

We have what looks like one last wintry storm pushing dowm from the north, coming in Friday and Sat. with highs only in the 50's and lows in the mid 30's and lots of wind and rain.....I'll cover the little mangos ONE MORE TIME and then THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!

mangofleabag

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

looks very Indonesian/Bali inspired. ever thought about trying some bonsai specimens, maybe smaller fruit trees

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

That's a great yard, Mangodog. I like the rock around the pond area in particular. I hope you didn't haul all of that yourself. Great pics!

13 years ago

Hello Mangodog...

If i am ever passing through Palm Springs....i will definately send you an email...i would love to see your beautiful creation...quite beautiful!!!

"Chillin in VB" LOL...

Laura

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bryan - I'd thought of Bonsai(ing) something in the yard and creating that look - and of course you are talking about IN-ground specimens and not potted, right? I don't think they'd make it in pots unless in the shade.....i'll have to think about that....thanks...

NorthTreeMan - those larger rocks were brought in with a bobcat before the pool and pond were put in.....can you imagine trying to move those by hand?

Sure, Laura, anytime.....just leave your "chill pills" behind.....lol....

mangoperrito

13 years ago

Hey Mangodog...."DEAL" LOL...

Laura in VB

• emegar
    12 years ago

Mangodog,

Do you have any plans to prune any of the members of your mango family anytime soon? I have a Manila (the only thing I've found around here), but I'd love to try grafting Glenn or NDM to one of my seedlings. Honestly, I'd take any cuttings you were willing to offer. Please keep me in mind. Thanks.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Emegar - I might have a cutting or two - the Edward I could spare a couple and the Rosigold and Alphonso also - that's it for right now. All the other trees are still small. But now that I'm thinking about it, I've been pinching buds too as a new shoots would unfold to try to get everything to branch, so if you did want something now, I'd have to see if there were any stems still holding a bud that I missed.
    Were you thinking now or next spring (ish)?

Are you good at grafting? I might ask a favor from you one day to graft something for me!

MD - the Deal Maker (lol)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner