Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Lastof the Zill Cushman Mango Trees

swrancher
13 years ago

I saw one of Mangokush's recent postings about Zill discontinuing Cushman Mango. He special ordered one of the last of their leftover 7 gallon sized trees from Spykes. After seeing Harry's and some other positive reviews of Cushman fruit I decided I wanted to plant one in my yard.

I copycatted Mangokush and special ordered one from zill through Spykes, thanks for that info Bryan. This morning I picked up my Cushman tree and got a pleasant surprise. The tree is very well developed and looks just about ready to begin bearing. I even had a hard time fitting it in my car for the short ride home.

Comments (27)

• squam256
    13 years ago

Very nice looking tree. Cool dog too

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

That just gets me going, I swear it must be nice! Damn shipping makes gettinga tree like that in the mail a pipe dream!

you have one awesome tree and I hope you get to enjoy a fruit or 2!

Andrew

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Nice, Zills trees are so stocky, they do not need to be staked like the whips at Pine Island.

Cushman is a vigorous grower, mine has put out growth already

I love your bulldog btw

• sleep
    13 years ago

Looks great ! I'm jealous .. I was thinking about adding a Cushman to my collection soon. Any others available at Spykes ?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Excellent looking tree. It is with trees like this that I bought years ago from Zill, that I built my collection. In the class that I was taking, we were permitted to buy direct form Zill when we toured the nursery. And...at whole sale prices. That tree would have probably been $25 or less, if memory serves. Ahhh...the good ole days. Enjoy your tree!

Harry

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very NICE tree indeed! That size tree would be very expensive if I ever found one here at a nursery. Nice thick trunk and very nice canopy! Good luck!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

wow, no need to Pug that one, it is in great shape,

congrats,
    -Ethan

• mangodog
    13 years ago

andrew 78 - it kills me too that shipping cost and never having ANYTHING like this sent in a box!!!!!!!

You Orange Juice folks are extremely lucky....we're still a bit 3rd world Mango out here in socal.....

swrancher - your dog is well trained - to protect that gem of a tree...BEST OF LUCK with it....

mangobitingpooch

• zands
    13 years ago

swrancher

Spyke's sure picked you a winner! So thick at the base and trunk. A nice stout tree. Lots of fresh top growth and life. So many nurseries have 7 gallon trees that are not like that. I have seen blighted and black 7 gallon trees in more than one nursery.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Really nice looking tree. It sucks to hear that Zill stopped propagating them. Glad I was able to get one last month.

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up. I had my nursery pick me up one today (and a 15 gallon Edward mango). Harry, is the Cushman REALLY that prone to anthracnose?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

NO...not in my opinion. There are many other varieties that are worse...many, much worse. Cushman may not be the ultimate in anthracnose resistance, but the excellence of the fruit makes it a must have even if it is somewhat susceptible to fungus attack.

Harry

• adiel
    13 years ago

swrancher, nice tree. How much did it cost and does Spyke's still have more of those left? Also, did you check to make sure it was not pot-bound?

Adiel

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The tree cost $50 dollars. Spykes does not have any of them on hand, they had to special order it from Zill for me. The roots did not appear potbound when I planted it.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

That's a great price for that tree. I would have thought it would have cost you double that. Good luck with it!

Haary

• adiel
    13 years ago

Hi Harry. Swrancher, thanks for the info. I hope you don't mind if I ask you two more questions, is there a contact person at Spykes? and were you able to pick out the tree or they just send you one based on container size you choose?

Adiel

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zill discontinued grafting Cushman mango trees so this one was ordered for me sight unseen from Zill. Tom is the manager at Spykes and he can place special orders, if asked.

• adiel
    13 years ago

swrancher, thanks! I talked to Shane from Spykes. He contacted Zill and they said they only had the 7 gallon in stock, which was the same size you ordered. Shane gave me a price of $54.95. I told him that other folks got it for $50 but he did not lower the price. I went ahead and had him place an order for one on their next Zill order. You think if I call back and ask for Tom he will lower it to $50?

Thanks,
    Adiel

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice. Congrats!

I just bought a small valencia pride and kent mango from Lowe's today. :)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Lovely... my lowes/HD carry Pear, Apples, and Berries... YAWN what a snoozer!! lol. Occasionally a Calamansi sooo I'll give 'em that.

That's such a nice cushman and for $50 what a find.!

:)

• invar69
    13 years ago

Congrats on the great looking Cushman. For me, thats the perfect shape I'd wish for my trees. All for $50 too. Wow.

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

I got my Cushman (7 gallon) and Edward (15 gallon) in from my local nursery (they picked up from Zills). It looks like the trees had cold damage (from last year it looks like) and the main trunks were pruned off about 3' up...not the best pruning jobs since they made the cuts horizontally (versus a 45 degree cut) thereby letting water to seep into the bark allowing for some nasty critters and rot. I scraped away the decay and pruning-sealed the trees. There was some bizarre-looking "grub" under the Edward's bark. It was pure-white, had legs sort of like a spider and a proboscis. It was about 1/2" in length. So in the advancement of science, I took a stick and smushed it. The Edward is pretty big and healthy (even has some small pea-sized fruit), but the Cushman is a not the best looking tree. However, I am happy to have a Cushman. I have wanted to try a Cushman for years and years. Both trees are throwing off new growth and will be in the ground tomorrow (one at my dad's and one at my building down south)...both places are nice and warm (a perfect mango haven). I am very excited. Thanks for the heads-up on the last of the Cushmans.

• sanzal
    12 years ago

Hello I am new to this Forum but would be willing to contact Spykes for my Mango trees. I am looking for (4)
    1) Keitt
    2) Nam doc Mai
    3) Mallika
    4) Lancetilla

Does anyone have their contact number or address? or another nursery? I was considering Pine Island or Benders Grove?

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Sanzal, is this who you're looking for?

Here is a link that might be useful: Spykes Tropical Nursery

• spykes
    11 years ago

Hopefully I won't violate the terms of the site and get booted off. I was just checking for anything negative about the nursery (like to stay proactive)and came across ya'lls posts. Just wanted to say that "I love you guys" and if you ever need something, ask for me (hehe I'm the big boss). I appreciate how much advertising costs and I couldn't pay for what you all have said. Thanks, Barbara my cell# is on the site.
    ps, just mention the forum so I remember.

• Sharon z8b Texas
    11 years ago

I understand that Cushman was discontinued a couple of years ago. I was able to find one last year, but it wasn't available for shipping. Do any of you know where I may find one from someone who would be willing to ship the Cushman to Texas? I emailed Pine Island Nursery, but they wonâÂÂt have any this year. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have six other mango trees and would love to find this one and add it to my care.

• vincesfl
    11 years ago

I Hi everyone! Hi Barbara! I visit Spykes all the time. They are a great local family business. They have excellent quality trees. I got all my trees there. I got two different types of mango trees and planted them together.

Good luck guys!