Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Fungicide For Mango Trees

swrancher
14 years ago

I live in South Florida near the Everglades, where its almost always damp and warm so keeping away the various types of tree fungus from my trees is an ongoing battle. I am already using liquid Copper fungicide on my trees. Knowing germs/fungi can develop resistances what are some other fungicide options that will work on Mango, Avocado, and other tropical fruit trees?

Comments (16)

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Harry is pretty close to the Everglades as well and probably has a similar fungus problem being in a field, also hes probably grown all your varieties already, my guess id probably be worried about Graham the most being a Julie seedling

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I have only used copper and occasionally neem oil. I hear you could use Aliette, but I haven't. Here's an Australian article that seems to indicate that basically any fungicide will work.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango fungicide

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Harry,

I may just follow your lead for a while and stick with copper.

Tony

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

An old timer 3rd generation mango grower near me (he passed away last year) used to use Mancozeb several times a season to keep his fruit fungus-free (and looking pretty).

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

any sprayable copper is copper oxide treated with sulfuric acid. sulfur and copper (an un-compounded mineral) is organic.

some sprays contain an adhering agent or surfactant, these are sometimes not organic. some people also use dish soap.

i get away with using an organic copper fungicide alone cut back pretty light, my Julie and Alphonso are the ones that get sprayed the most. i always spray at night.

waqassaeed what are the names of some of the mangos popular in Pakistan? have you ever heard of Imam Pasand?

• dadhaslonglegs
    14 years ago

I think you can use copper for a long time. The only issue that arises seems to be high levels of copper in the soil beneath the tree after continued use. I've noticed that the commercial copper you buy in the store is very expensive, while a homemade mix from plumbing sources (copper is used in root killer for pipes) and hydrated lime is cheap. Google it for a recipe to make your own.

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Has anyone tried innoculating their soil with beneficial bacteria/mycorrhizal fungi? My dragonfruit was grown on the side of my house where it was really moist and didn't get a lot of sun and for the first year, my plants had lots of dark spots (probably bacterial) and I think also some fungal issues but after innoculating my soil with earthworms and beneficial microbes, all the new growth is super health. It took about 1 year or so before my plants were able to fight off all the issues they had.

The copper and other reagents that people are currently using on their Mangoes to fight off Anthracnose may kill or inhibit the growth of these beneficial organisms however when the drip from these chemicals leaches into the soil.

That would be super cool if someone had the time and money to grow out a small mango when it is very small and innoculate it with beneficial microbes(bacteria, fungi, and earthworms) and grow it out organically for several years and then see if it is capable of fighting off Anthracnose.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

simon, i grow everything but my potted citrus organically.

the copper i use is organic, and i spray it at night when beneficials are less active. i never used mycorrhizal fungi, a healthy soil should produce it naturally.
    dragon fruit can take its time to get rooted and happy in a spot before they make alot of new growth.

Harry said he used mychorizal in a previous thread but like most people who use it its hard to judge how much of a direct effect it has unless you are in a lab setting with controlled variables i suppose.

i never bit the bullet an bought it, im still a bit of a skeptic. i would be willing to try it this spring if its not really expensive, id rather spend the money on black hen fertilizer.

• waqassaeed
    14 years ago

Hello

Mango which is considered best when eaten raw is Anwar Retol, it is of small size with lots of fibers in it. I just love eating those fibers. For juice and milk shake Chaunsa and Safeed(white) Chaunsa are considered best even Nestle Pakistan call its mango juice Chaunsa Juice.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Several years ago, I tried using it . I had two potted mangoes...one I added mycorrhizal fungi and the other I didn't. I wanted to do my own experiment. The one I used it on didn't show any improvement or showed any more vigor than the one I didn't use it on. I know this isn't a scientific experiment but for me I wouldn't buy it again because I didn't see any benefits. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to use it. I know that there are people that swear by it and it works for them, so I say try it and if it works for you then by all means use it. It reminds me a little of Superthrive, so many people love this stuff...but I never saw what all the hype was in my own personal plants...so I quit using it. Just my own personal experience.

I ended up leaving the trees when I moved...last I heard from the new owners they both died. I don't think they knew how to take care of it...Sad!

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

forgive me to revive this old thread, but i bought a small bottle of concentrated liquid copper fungicide from southern ag. I know i need to mix with water, but do i apply the mixed liquid all over mango trees including flowers and leaves or just the base of the tree?

First time dealing with anthracnose, hopefully this thing will work and stop the blackening dead flowers.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Charles, there's a phone # for Southern Ag on their website I think? if not...you can email them with questions!! I would do that so you know how to correctly apply it...I've done it but I'm not an expert with Fungicides and hate for something more to happen to your tree.

Good luck!

• swrancher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You need to spray the entire tree, flowers, top and bottom of leaves, stems, etc...Use the concentration recomended on the bottle which for mangos is 4 tsp of copper per gallon of water.

• enduser
    12 years ago

Make sure the temperature is 85 degrees or below before you apply this product or it will burn the leaves and probably kill the tree. Do no allow it to come in contact with the soil below the canopy or you can kill the tree. I apply it at dusk when the sun sets so that it stays wet during the night increasing the effectiveness of the product. In the morning as the dew dries the copper will not burn the leaves.

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

swrancher, I must confess that I sometimes have a difficulty with the term "organic". For instance, this statement:
    "any sprayable copper is copper oxide treated with sulfuric acid. sulfur and copper (an un-compounded mineral) is organic."color>
    The terms - copper oxide, sulfuric acid, copper and sulfur - occurring in the same sentence do not convey the concept of 'organic'. As I understand it, organic compounds are of animal or plant origin.
    Is there an aspect that I am not seeing?