Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjames_gw

Seed Starting advice needed

pjames
13 years ago

I have the following seeds on hand (1st 3 bought from Tradewinds): Red Strawberry guava (psidium cattlesianum), cassabanana (sicana odorifera), banana passion fruit (passiflora mollissima), and and unknown type of dragon fruit (bought the whole fruit but have not even cut it yet).

I was wondering if there was anything I should do to aid in germination with any of these, like soaking or whatever.

I'm looking to grow something that might be successful but NOT normally seen in Louisiana gardens.

Comments (7)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

gosh Mr. Pjames - no one's responded yet to your inquiry and I'm not really up on how to answer your questions....um.....why don't you put "seed germination" or "starting seeds" or "planting seeds" or the name of the fruit followed by those words in the subject section at the bottom of this main posting page for tropical fruits? I think you put it in the box and then just hit "SEARCH"

I've noticed a lot of information I've wanted has been discussed before to great length. It's tough for a newby coming in to a forum and not knowing what subjects have already been beaten to death (LOL - sorry!) and those that haven't. I'm just sort of guessing that this is the case with planting the seeds of tropical fruit...so why not give it a try?

And you still may get a response from one of the "fruit elders" (lol) in due time.....

AMangoDog'sLick

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

We were all new sometime, but yes, a forum search of some usual/beginner topics will increase your knowledge.
    With these types of seeds- plant them and they will grow. 1/2 - 3/4 deep in seed starting mix will work like a charm. Keep warm and moist (not wet).
    I know Tradewinds gives you directions with each seed pack you buy. Follow their advice. The seeds you picked are pretty easy.
    Dragon fruit is also easy, but seeds are really small, so you need to make sure not to overcrowd them. Cut fruit, place seeds on paper towel to dry a few days. Take seeds off towel and plant a few in each compartment of a tray. Keep warm and moist.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I can hel;p you a little. I know passionfruit seeds need to be soaked in watewr for 2 days. It softens the seed coating and aids in germination. I have a bunch that have to be planted now. I also have seedling Hawaiian passionfruit that are several feet tall now.

The guava, I started mine in a damp paper towel that I keep in a ziplock bag under my 600 watt HPS lights. I would just keep them somewhere warm and they will grow.

Andrew

• pjames
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The seed counts were not all that high so I figured I'd ask for advice. I followed Tradewinds suggestions but one of the seeds said may take several months to germinate and another said several weeks.. so I figured there might be a shortcut.

• nana_7b
    13 years ago

I started Strawberry guava (psidium cattlesianum) in Nov 2010. Took about 8 weeks for the first ones to sprout. Some are still begining to sprout almost 3 months later. This was indoors in soil and under a small reptile heat mat placed in an aquarium.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

I use mini-greenhouses. They work well and are easy. For the banana passion fruit, they sprouted in two weeks in a greenhouse for me. If you keep them in the sun, they stay hot and humid, perfect for seed starting.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

What works for me,
    soak them in hydrogen peroxide for 8hrs(ish) then in regular water for another 2hrs. then place in a moist paper towel inside a zip top bag. Keep in a warm and dark spot 'til they sprout. For things that take months to sprout, every month or two, move the seeds to a new paper towel/zip top bag set up. Don't give up on them unless they show obvious signs of mold or rot. Once they sprout, plant them into a starting mix.

good luck,
    -Ethan