Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Day Avocado

Andrew Scott
14 years ago

I just got a Logee's catalog and on the cover is a Day avocado. They claim that it is a self fertile variety with good flavor. What do you guys think of this variety?

Andrew

Comments (21)

• jsvand5
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bought one last year. No fruit yet, but it is definitely not as cold hardy as I have seen claimed. Mine was fried to just above the graft last season at 25 degrees.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Jsvand,
    Sorry to hear that yours got fried. That was during that last major freeze right? I remember you mentioning that. Was it an expensive tree? I checked with Top and they don't carry it. I am going to see if Pine will. I am extremely apprehensive with buying anything from Logee's. I have been screwed more times then I care to remember. Have you ever had the fruit? I wonder if it is good as what they say. The tree they are selling comes in a 6 inch pot for $29.95. I also wonder about the actual size. They say it is 2-3 years away from fruiting. I know someone has to carry it for cheaper but if I order from FL or CA the actual cost of the tree plus shipping will more than likely cost more. I wish I could see a picture of what they are selling. I don't want to get ripped off and then end up kickin my self in the a**!
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I just got done checking Pine and they don't carry it either. The only mail order nursery that carries it is Jene's, and I have heard some not so good feedback from them. Also, the other issue is that Jene's sells it in a 3 gallon pot and I know from experience that they will charge me an arm and a leg for shipping. Thru Logees the tree and all would be aropund $40.00. I also wouldn't have to worry about it traveling so far in a box. Looks like Logee's may win out. One more thing, Jene's also said the flavor was good and had a nice buttery flavor and consistency.
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I found this tree for sale at Stokes tropicals for $39.98. Something with there website isn't working right because I tried to figure out the shipping cost and it wouldn't work right. I am going to try and give them a call and see if they can give me a total. I have ordered plumeria afrom them in the past and been satisfied with them and there customer service. The way I see it is that anywhere would be a better deal then Logees!
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

I'd go with Jene's they sell nice stuff.

Is the tree from Logee's grafted? I have never heard of a avocado being sold in a 6" pot.

Also, in your climate the flowering times may be totally different then in FL or CA. I have actually been told that most avocado's will set fruit on there own here in fl but not so much in CA. Supposedly there is more of an overlap in the times the flowers are open down here.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jsvand,
    Yes, it is grafted, and I quote "We sell grafted plants that will start bearing fruit in 2-3 years. Each 6" pot $29.95. The biggest problem I have with Jene's is it is in a 5 gallon pot and much more epensive then either Stokes or Logees. The shipping would be a lot more. I have heard people say that they got burned pretty bad with Jene's and there customer servie was terrible. Stokes wont have anymore till spring. The reason for the avocado fruiting on there own may be because there are trees on other peoples property and they can cross pollinate that way. I have been told before that they need cross pollinating and that there are A and B tyoe blooms. I am going to see how much Logees will charge me and go from there.
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

Andrew,have you tried calling www.growquest.com they are here in california and ship,they know there avocados.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jsvand,
    Thanks for the information. With avocado I fell like I am in alien territory. I have a seedling that I started over a year ago and it is thriving. It seems like this tree never takes a growing break. I mentioned what I said about other trees in the area because other people here had mentioned in another post that avocados require 2 trees, and some people also mentioned that they didn't. I obviously don't know from my own experience so I appreciate your knowledge. I think when it comes to what I said about Jene's it just depends on who you talk to. I am sure that there are people that like you really like getting there trees from Jene's. The one major factor that won't change is the shipping rates. Jene's was saelling them in 5 gallon pots(I can't swear by it, but I think thats what it was)and Logees was selling in 6 inch pots. The diffrence in shipping fees is big. I think it was cheaper for me to go thru someone who was closer to me. I also considerer the fact that they had a picture of a 'Day' avocado. The tree was not very large and they claim that it can be easily maintained at 6ft, and it also can fruit at three feet. I am sure there are other avocadoes that would fruit at that size but I know how vigorous my seedling is and I want a fruiting tree that I wont have to be constantly pruning. There picture shows a tree that is probobly around 3-4ft with 7 fruits on it. I am looking for a tree that will fruit at this height and also be happy in a container without growing into a monster. I don't always agree with there prices but with this I am conent enough to buy. Now I know when I go back to FL this summer, I will be upset when I go back to Home Depot and find larger trees for a lot less money then what I paid for. I also have the advantage of having a gurantee on my tree and if it is damaged or dies in a month, they will replace it for nothing. Since you are growing this tree, I will be coming to you for help/advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help me, and if I don't end up being satisfied with the fruit, I will get rid of it and start over with a new tree.
    Hello Ajay5,
    I was going to go thru them. If you want to check out some of the more recent avocado forums, you will find one where someone from Arizona(I think) wanted to grow avocado in front of there large window. I had referred them to Growquest.com, and somebody(Iforget who) had told me that I should never refer someone to Growquest without checking out watchdog and seeing that they had a lot of negative feedback. Again, I believe that there are always going to be people who had a bad experience and because of that the company gets a bad rep. when it was entirely possible that they had made a mistake by sending out less then quality plant material, or the plant material just didn't survive the shipping process. I am so paranoid about having a bad experience and therefore I wont order from someone who may have been able to sell me a better product. Sounds stupid but lets face it, this is not a cheap hobby and I would rather go with someone that I have a better felling about. I know I have told many people here not to go with Logees because they are high priced and I have been more less satisfied with there plants. I have sent a lot of money there way and only have 2 plants from them that gre and did well out of at least 20 plants but I also know that when I started buying from them I didn't have the knowledge and skills that I have now. Lets face it, even when you think you have done everything right you can still end up killing a plant!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajay,
    I id check out Gardenwatchdog for myself and they had 66 negative points so I can see why someone would steer me away from them but I did get good clarity on the A and B flower type and if you need 2 trees for cross pollination. There was a quick 2 minute video discussing where this is an issue. From what I got he was saying that in warmer areas of the country the heat forces the flowers A and B characteristics to come out. He also said that if you live in a temperate climate you should have no problems with growing one tree as long as the night time temps are on the cool side. This makes a lot of sense since Logees said that this tree requires cool temps when the buds are opening. Thank you everyone for the advice! I can't wait to get this tree and hopefully end up with good quality fruits, and if my apartment is too warm at night, I will just have to buy a B type avocado and enjoy more fruits!
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Well after almost 2 months I finally got my Day avocado. I had to fight with Logees to get it sent to me. So much BS and excuses. I swear every time I order from them that I will never do it again but after waiting this long, I won't! I was lucky enough to have the owner of Logees hand select the tree for me. The reason that they claimed that they could not ship it was because they were on back order. Funny how it just appeared in there greenhouse. Now, I need to know what is the best soil for it? I have citrus/avocado fertilizer for it.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Avocados are not particular, in my expereince, about soil. They cannot stand wet feet. Other than that....any decent mix will do IMHO.

Harry

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Now you just have to hope that you actually got a "Day".It always makes me a little nervous when nurseries say they are out of something and then magically "find" one in the back of the greenhouse.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I had a Day several years ago. Unfortunately, it was one of the few avocados that I killed. I think it was all my fault though, so I have nothing bad to say about it....but I never got a chance to taste it. I bought it because it was very, very cheap at a Walmart or something like that.

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jsvand,
    I know what you mean. I said it was fishy from the get go. They don't want to make me mad. I waited all this time for this but I do know that they only sell the Day avocado. I think they didn't want to let this one go. For Logees, this is a great tree. I think they were tired of fighting with me. I ordered that tree February 23 I believe and just got it today. They claimed that it went out of stock 2 days after they got my order. I have a feeling that they have there plants/trees are divided for the catalog sales and the actual store in Conn. At least that's how it seems. I hope that was the case! Either way they had my money for almost 2 months and didn't keep in touch with me. I called one time and was told they would be in and be shipped the first week of April. I emailed them last week and they told me then that they would not have them until May! That was when I went bolistic on them! I must have emailed them 7-8 times in a 3-4 day period. I got every excuse in the book. They actually told me that it wasn't there job to contact me and let me know that they were out of stock and next time I should charge it and then they wouldn't bill me till they were shipping it to me. I told them that that was not the issue. I didn't need the money. I wanted my tree and if they would have told me when they knew it would be a while to get back in stock I would have been fine with that.
    Andrew

• Genepaul
    13 years ago

'Day' or 'Holiday'?
    Does anyone know if Logee's 'Day' avocado is the same cultivar as the 'Holiday' avocado sold by several nurseries. I've tried to find information about 'Day' on several websites that cover the characteristics of avocado cultivars and I found many had 'Holiday' listed, but I have yet to find a listing for 'Day' on any research center site. Any ideas? I don't want to buy more of the same avocado cultivar.
    Thanks, Genepaul

• MechaMacster
    12 years ago

So Andrew,
    Any news on your tree?

• dontommyg
    12 years ago

Hi. I know this thread is dead but logees has great selection. Many times they claim unavailable if they only have a handful of plants as they will not be able to substain demand. As a business you never want to absolutely run out of anything. But ive been there and they are great. Currently they have over 30 day avocado plants. Also growing any new fruiting plant demands a learning curve.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunroomgardening.blogspot.com

• fltoiachic
    8 years ago

I see no one has been here for awhile. I have a Day avocado tree along with several others. The tree is now on it's 4th year, it has always had fruit and I am told max height 6'. My question.....how large does this avocado get and what is harvest dates? My tree is loaded with smaller sized elongated smooth skinned lighter green fruit.....any help would be awesome!!!! Thank you. MICHELE

• Hans Konter
    7 years ago

Check out AK Caribbean Nursery and post your question. Great help !!!

• Todd Kimberlain
    3 years ago

I have a Day avocado, and seem to have an issue with it. It has had two vigorous blooms, but unfortunately few fruit set. I wonder if a type B tree would do better.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA