Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azucar_sugar

New Here - About Me

Azucar_Sugar
13 years ago

Hello Members,

I hope it's OK to post a "Hello" here and to let you know that I am new, but I have been lurking for a while. Lurking, sounds so wrong lol. Loitering? lol Just as bad.

A little bit about me - I grew up eating and later growing tropical fruit and vegetables. My family grew a variety of fruit and vegetables in Cuba and an even bigger variety here in the US. They were introduced to fruit they had not seen here. Fruit from Indonesia, etc.

I was born drinking tropical fruit juices and using it for their medicinal value. Stomache ache? Papaya works for that. I have 3 books for the wonders of Tropical fruit, plants, trees and seeds. They work too.

I was born allergic to milk, my Mom was at her wit's end because I cried for hours from hunger. At age 2 months, she put papaya juice and other mild juices (fresh and home pressed) in my bottle. I was the happy baby with an orange nose, from that day on. The papaya & carrots made my nose orange with all of its Beta-Carotene : -)

I just purchased a home in SE Miami area and it has a huge yard full of tropical fruit trees & plants. I have never tended or owned a space this big or with this many trees. The posts I have been reading here have been so helpful, and maybe one day I will have a tip for you.

I plan to take an inventory of trees and plants soon. Then I will post here, with pictures.

I have not had the time and moving has been the first order of business. For now, I will unpack and keep reading your posts.

I hope this is a good place to hang my hat and try to keep my lot as well of as the last homeowner. The last homeowners were retired and had two part time workers keeping the grounds.

I will be doing the smaller jobs on my lot and I hope to get some help from family and hire out work for bigger jobs.

I am very concerned that if I don't move quickly this yard will not look this good in a short time.

I better get to it then! Wish me luck and I am going to need it and some helpful posts along the way.

Azucar

Comments (14)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Azucar,
    Welcome to the forum! Rest assured your in great hands! Living in Florida you will have great help from members like Harry, Sheehan, Swrancher, Pug, Zands, ah there are so many Floridians here, and they have all been so helpfull to me!
    My name is Andrew and I have been on this forum for a few years now. I did the same, lurking and observing and finally taking the tropical fruit plunge myself. I grow mango, cherimoya, caimito, citrus, and lots more, all in pots. I live in New York state and the members here have made it all possible.
    Good luck to you and your in great hands. We have an awesome group of people here!
    Can't wait for the pics!
    Andrew

• Azucar_Sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

. I was worried about posting since I don't know as much as all of you know. I sure don't know the names of all of the trees and the type of mangoes, etc but I am learning.

I do know for sure is that you can't be born on a tropical island and not love tropical fruit!

I just grilled some fish and a squeeze of lemon, some finely chopped fruit on top (nothing more) and I am not a great cook, but even I can say this was DELISH.

On another topic - I LOVE NY! NY and NY State, I have friends all over that state and I think of it as a home away from home with free lodging. lol
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum Azucar. It sounds like you'll be taking full advantage of living in South Florida and growing lots of tropical fruits. Over the last few years, I have gained a wealth of knowledge by visiting this forum and reading what others posted and asking an occasional question. Again welcome.

SWRancher
    aka:Tony

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bienvenidos Azucar! Glad you decided to come out of the shadows and take the plunge by posting. I am looking forward to helping you ID that yard full of trees you moved into. Feel free to ask questions....no one has all the answers and despite my 20 years of tropical fruit growing, I am still learning.

Harry

• Azucar_Sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the welcome.

I see by your posts that you are kind-a the superhero of Tropical Fruit , I can assure you that I am nowhere in that zone. I have been around growing tropical fruit all of my life but you all take it to a new level.

For a newbie I hold my own but I hope I did not bite too much off with this property. The house does not worry me, the yard does. I would feel awful if one of these gorgeous trees gets sick in my care. The previous owner were so devoted and invested in this little piece of land. Thanks for the welcome. I will be asking many questions, hope I don't wear that welcome out too soon here.
    Azucar
    PS: 20 years, wow, that's impressive!

• Azucar_Sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know how to post to you one by one, seems like I am posting to all in one string (sorry).

Thank your post, SWRancher! I have learned here just reading.

This is a real passion for so many. I am not at the passion stage with growing tropical fruit yet. I think the term for me is that I am flirting with growing tropical fruit.

Until now, that is. I am going to have to fall into it and fast. Nature waits for no man.

For me it's been a great deal of eating and just a little work. But, hey! It;s a good gig if you can get it, right? lol

Thanks again and have a good night.
    Azucar

• zands
    13 years ago

Azucar
    Hi-- Your first concern is don't let any of your new plants dies. Your soil might be shallow in some places so moisture is not retained. We are in the dry months right now. So look for signs of any plants drying out and give them some water

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Yo Azucar - you've already got a Mango named after you!

Well I'm MangoDog from California and luckily we have no East Coast/West Coast fruit gang rivalry that I'm aware of!

Harry, SWR, Zands, MangoKush, Pugsly have all been very gracious and helpful to me as well, and a bunch of Californias, also, very selfless with their ideas and concerns - I just joined last fall, and never had a thought of lurking when I saw my "peeps" carrying on about mangos!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you can cancel the loitering, lanquishing, looming spy show, and expose your needs.....we LOVE pictures here, so load us up with what ya got.

How big is your property by the way?????

...but really I only wanted to say WELCOME Dr. Pepper to the sweetest-fruits-in-the-world forum!

MangoBoneDigger

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Group! And how lucky you are to reside in Florida!!

-Bo

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Welcome,
    you are living many a member's dream, to move to a home filled with tropical fruit trees, nice choice.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• Azucar_Sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the welcomes & well wishes.

On a gut feeling I called the elderly coupleÃÂ that sold me this home. ÃÂ I asked them over to pickÃÂ up a few small items I found and join me for brunch. ÃÂ In a long conversation, I learned that the man was very sad part with his trees but age prevents himÃÂ from doing the work and spending the money to have it done. ÃÂ I askedÃÂ them if they or he would like to come by and get me started. ÃÂ He was thrilled by the offer!! ÃÂ He put a nice irrigation system in and showed me how to work It all today. ÃÂ

I did not get to talk to them, other than at the house showing, ÃÂ since the closing was done by their lawyer.ÃÂ

They will be living here for ÃÂ the winter and NJ for the summer. He is happy to have access to the trees. ÃÂ

His wife is a doll and we were fast friends! ÃÂ I collect antiques and she said she was an antique and I felt I knew her all my life! LOL.ÃÂ

I have been given the gift of guidance and friedship all in one day! ÃÂ

Thanks again for the posts. ÃÂ We start anÃÂ officialÃÂ tree and plant inventoy this week.

What a nice day it was :-)
    Thanks for reading.
    Azucar

• Azucar_Sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG. Why Is my post full of:

�.

• Azucar_Sugar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good to know I can wear red wo fearing for my life!!

Lurking is a great word, brings up many mental
    pics. lol

The back yard is a bit over 2+ acres and the house has some
    land and trees on the sides and front. it's near the beach so
    lots-o-sand!!

I wrote some good news above.

I hate to even hint that I got this lot for the house and
    to make a big pool and cabana area!! (GULP)!
    Not going to do it. No rocks to the head please.
    Azucar

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Welcome Azucar! You truly are living the dream...one of these days when the real estate market recovers (if it ever does) I too would love to live a couple of hours south. I need to sell my house first before I can move...it will be a while. Two hours south of me makes a lot of differnce temps wise. I would love to grow Mango and Lychee trees with minimal "freeze" threats...Ahhh...I can only dream.

There are many great and very helpful members here...one of the best around. I learn something new almost every single day...You will love this forum.

Best of luck with your new home and great property... looking forward to pictures !