Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyclonenat

growing mango from seed

cyclonenat
12 years ago

Hi i was wondering if mangoes grown from seed will produce fruit?

I have a couple in a zip-lock bag in the hot water cupboard, it looks like one is starting to grow.

Comments (13)

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Yes, although it will take awhile for fruit. Southeast Asian mangoes are usually polyembryonic, meaning more than 1 seedling may sprout. Indian mangoes are usually monoembryonic.

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok cool thanks for the info

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

cyclonenat, I'd like to add that the fruit quality is likely to be very variable - sometimes pleasantly so! Most times not.
    I would go ahead and grow the seedling and if you do locate a tree that bears a fruit that you must have, you can graft a cutting from that tree on to your seedling tree. You can thereby grow two different fruits on the same tree. Here is a LINK that shows one way to do it. There are others.

• jcaldeira
    12 years ago

While grafting is the best way to insure a higher quality fruit and a faster fruiting tree, I disagree with the comment about mango from seed usually not tasting good. I've eaten a lot of mangos from semi-wild trees and have never had one that did not have a pleasant taste.

They may have more fiber or be a slightly different shape from the parent fruit, but they will taste good. It would be extremely unusual to grow a mango that doesn't taste good.

John

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks one nursery has very small plants for 45 $NZ i cant afford that at the moment

• gnappi
    12 years ago

"I disagree with the comment about mango from seed usually not tasting good"

While you may disagree with the original comment "Most times not", I have to say that I have a mango tree in my yard that was grown from seed and it tastes like some type of petroleum based cleaning liquid.

The funny thing is, the seed "MUST" have tasted good because the PO of the property wouldn't have planted the seed in the first place... that is unless they siphoned gas at night for a living and had no taste buds left? :-)

Anyway... I'm going to pull it from the ground along with a HUGE (completely unproductive) avocado the PO planted TWO FEET from the Mango seed... sheesh.

My only guess for that kind of act is that somehow they thought that the little trees in nurseries that had fruit meant that their trees would be dwarf specimens?

TG for websites like this one.

Gary

• jcaldeira
    12 years ago

",,,I have to say that I have a mango tree in my yard that was grown from seed and it tastes like some type of petroleum based cleaning liquid."

Your tree is a very unusual one. Most mango seeds are polyembryonic, meaning most of their offspring are exact clones of the mother tree and will have identically-tasting fruit.

The ones that are not polyembryonic will often revert slightly towards the wild type, which also tastes good but is more fiberous.

Your "petroleum based cleaning liquid" tasting mango is indeed odd. Consider top-working one of your trees - either the mango or the avocado. You could get some good tasting fruit on at least one of those pretty quickly.

John

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

cyclonenat, the 'petroleum....' mango may be the "Turpentine mango" of Guyana. Nevertheless, it was well-liked by some.
    LINK

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone my seeds have grown a tap root but no stem yet should i plant them in soil now? thanks for any help

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what temperature does it need to get leaves?

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

should i keep them in the hot water cupboard until leaves show? thanks for the help

• Kelechi Okoronkwo
    7 months ago

@gnappi sounds like you have what we call in Nigeria kerosene mango. its a variety that is popular.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer