Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raja Puri Harvest

Posted by bananafan 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 20:34

My Raja Puri made it through this Winter with no damage on its fruit. Thankfully, no freeze down here this season. It's sure a long wait ... 4 months back (a third of a year), but it's worth waiting and I'm sure glad no disruption by cold weather conditions either. The fruit isn't too sweet; just a little tangy and acidic. It's just the right taste for me.

Here are some pictures:

#1 - Before harvest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raja Puri Harvest

#2 - After harvest

o

#3 - Close up

o

#4 - Some of the skin split, so I peeled them up and serve them for breakfast with cereal.

o

amazing...

I am planning to have rajapuri this year.. but i don't have place in my yard. Planning to grow in container.

I read that it fruit in 9 months? is it so...?

o

Bunti,

If you're planning to get one, I would recommend you to grow it in the ground. If planted in the pot, it will take a long time to fruit if it ever fruits at all ... In your planting zone, if you should decide to plant it in the ground, plant it close to your house. It helps to offer a little more protection in the Winter.

Raja Puri is one variety I know that will fruit readily when it's mature. It will take about 2 years for a newly planted Raja Puri to mature and to send out pups before fruit production. Once established, you can expect some banana harvest. Now in my yard, I've replaced all my other bananas with only Raja Puris.

Of course, I really would like to know from some of you here in the forum who have success with the other varieties. I've heard that Ice Cream is also cold hardy. I still have them in the ground. They have been there for 7 years already ... so far the growth rate is slow and they're barely thriving not to mention about the fruit production. Maybe there's a secret to taking care of them that I don't quite know yet. Other than that, I give the same fert (fish emulsion) to all my bananas. Those that fruit just respond well to whatever I gave them. Go figure!

Anway, I wish you well with your Raja Puri planting. I hope you'll have success planting them in zone 7.

o

Bananafan- you did an excellent job! You made me remember my childhood. Thx for sharing your photos and expertise.

Nerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here