Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pancrazio

Nursery selling Glenn mango in European Union.

Pancrazio
13 years ago

Hi all.

The subject pretty much says all. I'm searching for an european nursery selling the Glenn mango. I'm trying to grow it in central Italy, and, as far as i can unserstand, the Glenn mango can be a good choice for my zone. Still, i can't find a nursery selling one on this side of the Atlantic ocean. Even if i buy in the USA, plants must be shipped bare rooted for sanitary reasons: and it is a bit risky, considering that the shipping can take several days. Plus, postage is really expensive.

So, does anyone know where i can find a Glenn mango in europe? Thank you.

Comments (25)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I found a nursery a while back that sold tropical fruit trees in the Canary Islands. I was looking for an Autalfo mango and that's how I found it. I don't remember the name of it though, sorry.

Good luck on your search and I hope this info helps ypu. I live in zone 6 and even though I live in a temperate climate, I still enjoy growing mango trees in pots!
    Andrew

• zands
    13 years ago

http://www.canarius.com/blog/tag/nursery

These guys ship into the EU and have 20 different mango varieties. Glenn is only one of many possibilities. According to them mangoes can grow in coastal France on the Mediterranean

Here is a link that might be useful: mango trees for Europe

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@andrew78: Thank you for you quick answer.
    I have read many of your messages here. Your efforts in growing tropicals in pot are inspiring.
    I' have too two mangos in pot: a Kensington Pride and a Gomera. I bought them last autumn, for testing purpouse: i must say the did well in pot in my unheated greenhouse (we got a night here at -8,8C, or 16F, still no damage: the greenhouse had 1C or 33,8F for 48 hours, while it was covered with snow - this has been the wrost cold spell in last ten years) so now i'm thinking about growing one in ground. I have already built a north concrete wall (where my mango will be) to support a cover and retain some heat. The big problem now is choosing the right variety: it must be kept short, because i must cover it entirely on winter, it must be a good producer even after some severe pruning, because i can't afford to keep it growing wildly. It must be disease resistant, because winter here is rainy and long. Summer heat isn't a problem: we've got three months with days hotter than 30C-85F, but our summers are short so fruit should ripe early. It should be a good beared because i have space an resources only to grow a tree. A good taste obviusly would be appreciated too... Glenn seemed to have all those charateristic, but i never tasted one, so i'm really open to advices on the best variety.

@zands: Thank you for the link. I see that they have many varieties for sale, but no Glenn. Those are what they are selling:

- Anderson
    - Ataulfo
    - Bill
    - Edward
    - Extrema
    - Ford
    - Gomera (Hardy Mango)
    - Haden
    - Heidi
    - Irwin
    - Isis
    - Kensington
    - Keitt
    - Lily
    - Lippens
    - Manzanillo
    - Osteen
    - Palmer
    - Sensation
    - Tolbert
    - Tommy Atkins
    - Valencia Pride
    - Van Dyke
    Given that, what you would suggest?

• zands
    13 years ago

Hi
    That is a long list....You better email them to see what they really have in stock. You should also ask them what varieties they recommend for you in your colder climate. Many of those are unfamiliar to me. Ataulfo is very nice small fruit. Keitt is a large fruit that might not mature w your shorter growing season. Perhaps another Gomera but from them? Forget Haden and Tommy Atkins. Manzanillo might be good

"'Manzanillo-Nunez', a chance seedling first noticed in 1972, is gaining in popularity because of its regular bearing, skin color (75% red), nearly fiberless flesh, good quality, high yield and resistance to anthracnose."

I hope others can help you. I would look for mango trees with fruits on the smaller side.

Why not get confirmation on what they have available and then come back to this thread?

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

The link that Zands provided is the exact nursery I was talking about, so thank you Zands!
    Andrew

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

There is a posibility to get the Glenn: Canarius does not produce/graft plants, but they buy them from another nursery on the island called 'La Cosma'. This nursery works with the department of agriculture in Tenerife (called ICIA, Instituto Canario de Investigaciones Agrarias, www.icia.es), and they have over 90 mango cultivars, including Glenn. So you could ask Canarius to get this cultivar from La Cosma for you. Or else you could fly to Tenerife and get buwood from the ICIA ;-)

These are the cultivars the ICIA is growing:

Mango germplasm Origin
    13-1 Israel
    Adams Florida (USA)
    Ah Ping Hawaii
    Alphonse India
    Ameeri India
    Amini India
    Anderson Florida
    Ataulfo Mexico
    Big Yellow India
    Bombay India
    Bombay Green India
    Carabao Philippines
    Cogshall Florida (USA)
    Chene South Africa
    Davis Haden Florida (USA)
    Edward Florida (USA)
    Eldon Florida (USA)
    Fairchild Florida (USA)
    Fascell Florida (USA)
    Gaylour Egipto
    Glenn Florida (USA)
    Golden Lippens Florida (USA)
    Gomera-1, Manga Blanca Canary Islands
    Gomera- 4, Manga Fina Canary Islands
    Gouveia Hawai (USA)
    Haden Florida (USA)
    Harders Calirfornia (USA)?
    Harris Florida (USA)?
    Irwin Florida (USA)
    Isis South Africa
    Jewell South Africa
    Julie Reuni�n Islands
    Keitt Florida (USA)
    Kensington Australia
    Kent Florida (USA)
    Lancetilla Honduras
    Lily Florida (USA)
    Lippens Florida (USA)
    Mabroka Egipt
    Madame Francis Haiti
    Magshimi
    Manila Philippines
    Manzanillo M�xico
    Maya Israel
    Momy K Hawaii
    Mulgoba India
    Mun (Nan Dok Mai) Thailand
    Nimrod Israel
    Oliveira Neto Brazil
    Osteen South Africa
    Ott California (USA)
    Pairi India
    Peach Caribbean
    Pirie India
    Pope Hawaii
    R2E2 Australia
    Ruby Florida (USA)
    San Andr�s 1 Canary Islands
    S Andr�s 2 Canary Islands
    Sensation Florida (USA)
    Smith Florida (USA)??
    Torbert Florida (USA)
    Tommy Atkins Florida (USA)
    Turpentine Gomera-3 Cuba
    Valencia Pride Florida (USA)
    Van Dyke Florida (USA)
    Winters Florida (USA)
    Zill Florida (USA)
    Zillate Florida (USA)
    Zifrin Florida (USA)
    Mangifera casturi
    Mangifera foetida
    Mangifera laurina
    Mangifera odorata
    Mangifera zeylanica

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I have NOTHING to add except:

Oh my GOD I just adore this site - such good vibes!!!!!!!

Pancrazio - good luck! Break Boundaries. Do the unthinkable! Grow mangos in central Italy!

Pikorazi - many bows brother.......thanks for carrying the torch!

MangoWolfhound

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your answers and your support! I really apreciate it.

@zands: Ok, so i wrote to canarius. I simply asked if they can provide me with a glenn plant, for now, since if they cannot, i've got to start from zero once more. And searching for next best variety. We will see. Can you please explain me the reason why you suggest smaller fruits? Do they ripe quickier? I'm totally a newbie on mangos so even the most obvius thing can be a surprise for me.

@pikorazi: How nice! At least there is a place in EU with all those plants. Can you confirm me that there aren't restriction in shipping from canary to EU?
    They have both Cogshall and Lancetilla, wich i also hoped to buy, for potted growing. I don't know how much i can ask to canarius, but if they could also provide me with those it would be very nice. Thank you very much!

@Mangodog: Oh, i really need some luck. Nobody else has ever tried to grow a mango in ground so at north, at least in italy, as far as i can see from other italian discussion board. If the don't suffer too much for the wet soil during winter it should be doable, temperature aren't so bad here at 43 north. Since october i have read a lot of thing on passive solar greenhouses: i hope to be able to keep my own greenhouse above freezing all the winter. Provided this, mangos can tolerate for many hours even really low temperatures.

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Pancrazio, I too have been dealing with canarius to get an order going.

pikorazi: good to know the real inside story - where they source and what is truly on the big list.

Much reading up to do on these varieties to see what will do well in consistent high humidity, even rain every month and winter winds in my locale.

• zands
    13 years ago

Pancrazio--

Mangoes trees love many hours of warmth and sun like Florida or Hawaii have. Since you are in a colder zone you have to worry about your fruits maturing and getting ripe. I have no proof but smaller fruits should have a better shot at this. So I would buy a tree that yields smaller mangoes.

Here in USA we grow huge watermelons in the South (Florida and Georgia). But up north (Massachusetts) one has to grow small watermelons. Large ones will not get ripe and sweet.

• zands
    13 years ago

Pancrazio--

Another example is tomatoes. In a northern state like Minnesota tomatoes will grow and form fruits but will they ripen? Common cherry tomatoes will because they are small one inch diameter.

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm back and with good news!
    They actually have some Glenn mangos for sale.... well they don't have them NOW, but they promise that plants in a couple of months (wich is fine for me, I want the heat to build up). They are grafted on Gomera-1 wich is (or i should say "should be") more hardy than the usual mango. I'm pretty happy even because the downside of the glenn (the watery fruit) shouldn't show here in italy, where the summer is pretty dry (last serious rain in may, then stop till the end of august).
    I asked them also for Lancetilla and Cogshall, for potted growing. They said that they need some time to check, but, in meantime, if i have some other plant i wanted to ask for, i should tell them now.
    So, since i'm a total newbie, i ask you: what i should absolutely do not miss? I'll grow them in pots (my only one in full ground will be my Glenn, at least untill it shows to be unable to whitstand my climate).
    I guess i should take the pikorazi list as reference... but if you know something that i absolutely should ask, then i'll ask even if not in that list. One never knows.
    For example, i heard nice things of Eward but it doesn't seem suitable for potted growing. Pickering instead seems good for my needs (but it is pretty unlikely that they have one). Does Nam doc mai taste good? They have it and seems suitable for potted growing. Any more suggestion?
    Of course they quicker they ripe, the better. I like very sweet fruits, but i guess that much depends on ho you are gonna grow them... wich is basically what i still don't know.
    Many thanks for your help, i wouldn't have been able to find them without you.

@abayomi: I hope you can find what you are searching for. I guess i'll place the actual order in a month or two - i was just inspecting, didn't wanted to get anything before april. Still i'm really happy they got what i need; i was starting to lose hopes after i saw how hard is import plants from USA. Wich is bad if you have already tasted ripe mangos...

@zands: I see your point: probably the plant can spend all the energy in fully ripe little fruit rather than wasting in a not-so-ripe big fruit.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nam Doc Mai is an excellent and very sweet mango. You won't be sorry if you that is your selection.

Harry

• zands
    13 years ago

Lancetilla is a large fruit

Here is a link that might be useful: Lancetilla

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

@pancrazio:

sorry for the late answering. yes, the are shipping restrinctions. in terms of custom, the canary island do not belong to the european union! officialy you need a phytosanitary certificate to import plants from the islands to the european mainland. but as far as i know (depending on the country) they don't control too much and are not strict on parcels coming from canary islands..

@abayomi:

i've read that the other mangifera species listed (m casturi, m foetida, m laurina, m odorata, m zeylanica) grow very well in humid/wet climate and have no anthracnose problems. that's why there are programs to cross indica with other mangifera species. maybe you could ask canarius to get some plants, or if the trees do produce fruit, then maybe some seeds ;-) if i wasn't living in germany, i would seend you the seeds...

• abayomi
    13 years ago

pikorazi,
    Thanks for the encouragement and info.

I just noticed you Canary Islands location tag (duh). Did you grow up there?

They say they have kensington and can get laurina in a few months. Have you eaten laurina?

Isn't CI considered part of Spain?

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

@abayomi:

yes, i was born and grew up in gran canaria. actually i'm living in germany but my family is still over there. my parents bought some years ago a big mango and citrus orchad, but they don't commercialize the fruit, so in the past 4 years i've been replacing old trees with exotics. some plants i've bought locally, others over internet, and also many raised from seed.

unfortunately i have never tasted other mangifera species, as far as i know. i'm not sure if kensington tastes good, i think the fruit is quite mediocre..

CI belong to spain = european union. but because of the geographical position, the long distance to the european mainland (but very close to africa), we have some regulations. for example concerning import and export of plants. the ci had problems in the past (and still have) with accidentially imported deseases and parasites..

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@pikorazi: Thank you for that information. Well, even with a phyto is still easier than trying to get usa's mangos, so for now i'll stick with them. I hope to get the plants without any problem!

@abayomi: Kensington is the only kind of mango i tasted (well, except for unripe Tommy Atkins that you can get here at shops). I dunno how it tasted compared to others but for me a ripe kansington was worthy of tring to grow mangos here. I can't even imagine how good others must be if a kensington can be considered "mediocre" by any standard. :)

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Pancrazio, I don't know how are the costums in Italy, but if canarius sends without dirt and with and a phyto, I think you should not have a problem..

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey there, everyone!
    I just wanted to say thank to everyone for the help. Plants arrived just ten day ago.
    Here is a picture of what i got:

From left to right you have an Edward, a Zill and a so-called "Mun" (i'm guessing "Nam doc mai", since, in their website, they listed this name "nam doc mai" after the word "Mun", like they were believing the the variety name were Mun and "Nam doc mai" was some kind of specific name for this mun variety.).
    Overall i'm satisfied of the order: the plants are just grafted, as you can see (pretty high graft in my opinion, but hey). Plants also have lost all their leaves during the trip, but this is understandable (new growt and being closed in a box doesn't get along well). Now, after ten days, anyway, they are starting to put out new growt.
    The one with wrost problems is the Zill one wich seems to have some kind of fungus problems, but even it seems to be putting out new growt flush.
    After i received them i replated all the plats in 7 gallons pot, watered them a used on them copper and sulphur. Plants weren't bare rooted as you can see, so they just recovered.
    I also eliminated the graft tape, because, since obviusly grafts were established, i wanted all the possible heat and dry air to be close to the graft point.
    Plants costed me 14 euros each.
    Thank you all once more and let's see what they can do here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some advice on a limitate selection of mango for potted growing

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...other than a lot of leaf loss, for the price they seem like a steal pancrazio.....keep us posted on their growth, please....

mandog

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    12 years ago

I ordered 5 mangoes including Glenn from Centro fruticultura Subtropical Here in Madeira Island and they cost 4 euros each! I don't think they export!

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't find a website for that "Centro fruticultura Subtropical". I'm still looking for nurseries, to heve a sucre way of getting more plants if mine will die.
    Anyway thank you for your input. :)

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    12 years ago

The Centro fruticultura Subtropical is a governmental nursery, there is no website! have you tried to search for nurseries in Spain,try http://www.viverosbrokaw.com they got mangoes for sale and other tropical fruit trees!I will search for other, then i will let you know!:)

here some pics and videos of fruit trees that I grow here!

http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyamazondude?feature=mhee
    https://picasaweb.google.com/107913943714882792944/MySubtropicalFruitOrchard#

Hope you enjoy it:)

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

brokaw in spain does not ship. viveros blanco does not ship. but those two in malaga do:

http://frutalestropicales.com/
    http://tienda.semillaslaexotica.com/