Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Frosted Mini-Mango Florets . . .

mangodog
13 years ago

I failed to cover my edward mango properly in a 32 degree night last night , and as everyone knows - the same near-freezing temperature can have quite variable effects even within the same property on different nights under slightly different conditions - so what happened was the florets on 5-6 branches on top, maybe 2 inches long, look like they got nipped and have turned an ugly limp grayish green....

Whilst the florets on the lower branches still look viable, green and intact....

My question is - will the branches with dead flowers on them resend inflorescence, or will the lower branches with their intact flower stalks (assuming we get no more frosty nips) be the extent of what will flower (and possibly fruit) on that tree this year....?

If the branches with dead flowers on them do regenerate with more inflorescence, wouldn't that mean that someone could purposely "pug" any number of flower stalks so as to create a later onset of flowers and fruit on that part of the tree....and thus enjoy an extended season of slurping????

I guess I'll find out for myself, but just wondered if there was any observation or experience that anyone else may have had with this scenario.

MangoDogWhoAlwaysLooksForTheSilverLining

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting