Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Mango Lychee Bloom Update

hmhausman
13 years ago

Well.....it is quite the experience to walk outside this time of year. The intense smell of mango bloom is in the air and can knock you right over. I am not going to post any pictures until there are fruits to show off. But, suffice it to say, you see some of the heavy blooming trees posted by others (Mango Kush and Pugluvr)....well, multiply that by over 100 and you begin to get the idea. I do see small mangoes forming on almost every tree. Not in bloom trees include only Zebda, Tog Bi Con and some of the small trees that are still in pots. Lychees are likewise in pretty heavy bloom. My Garnett lychee seems to be either lagging or planning not to bloom significantly. The only other lychee cultivar not in bloom is Seymour. The tree is scraggly and has never bloomed in over 15 years.

Back to mangoes, this year I was paying more attention to powdery mildew and spraying certain non-productive trees (like Alphonso and Julie) with sulphur to try to get fruit set where there hasn't been any previously. So far, I am encouraged. I do see fruit formation on Alphonso but it is in the very, very early stages. Also, my Maha Chanook seedlings, planted 3 in one hole are all in heavy bloom and appear to be setting fruit for the first time. I am excited about that. I am going to prove once and for all that Maha is or not polyembryonic. The powdery mildew seems to be fairly common......and I have sprayed sulphur selectively to deal with it. However, there are quite a few varieties, Okrung, for one, that heavy powdery mildew covered, yet the fruit set looks good without spraying. This is the first year that I have paid this close attention to this. And, I don't know if the spraying is doing anything or if it is the general weather conditions that would have set heavy fruit anyway. Regardless, I don't want to jinx anything, but it seriously looks like a record mango crop is in the offing.

Harry

Comments (21)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

I think you might have in fact jinxed it. Better luck next year.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

"I am not going to post any pictures until there are fruits to show off."- Lycheeluva snorts in digust.

thanks for the update harry. not for any personal reason and purely for scientific inquiry, do you expect any of your mangoes to be ripe by memorial day this year?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

yeah i was surprised at how loaded with blooms some of the larger mango trees are around here, theres one around the corner from me i would guess to be over 60 foot judging from the telephone poles which are 40 foot tall. its loaded with blooms, you cant see a spot of green on the tree

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gerry:

I would say that there is an excellent prospect for some ripe mangoes by then....especially if you keep Old Winter up your way until then. Re: not posting pictures until there is fruit to show......worry not, i would say that there should be lots to see and therefore post in a week or two. Stay tuned.

In further mango update, it seems the early bloomers Thai Everbearing, Rosiegold and to a lesser extent, Edward, did not set much fruit at all so far, and where they did, as in Rosiegold, the fruit was damaged pretty severely because of what I believe was a combination of not spraying copper and the cold. The trees are going into re-bloom now.

Harry

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Sounds great Harry...looking forward to pictures when you have them to share. So happy to hear the mangoes are all doing so well. Can't wait!! Thanks for the updates.

• adiel
    13 years ago

Harry, congrats! It would be nice to see the pictures. One question, does the Maha Chanook or the Maha Chanook seedlings you have suffer from powdery mildew?

Adiel

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Very encouraging news, Harry! I too can't wait to see pics. Also, does this mean you're considering shipping your mangoes?

-Bo

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Ahhhh.....to see what you see.....to smell what you smell.....I can only imagine, Harry - it must be some sight!

My Pickering and Glenn are leading my blooming race, but still only 4-6 inch budded stalks, and well behind every single other location in these here United States....

so.....guess we'll just have to wait for pictures....looks like you guys are out of the grip of winter and soon to be in full scale fruit production.....

I had a feeling this was going to be a good year for you after the last couple lousy ones, which of course will go in line with your sudden rise in popularity come early summer and throughout the rest of the year!

MangoDogness

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

Can't wait for the photos! Always an amazing sight.

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

I can appreciate what Harry is saying here. Every time I sat on my couch I would get a waft of Mango flower...quite nice while it lasted.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

ntm- surprised you like the smell of mago bloom. the few times i have smelt mango bloom, its been pretty unpleasant like something rotting.

• adiel
    13 years ago

I can appreciate the smell of the mango bloom in the air, it's a beautiful reminder of the season change. It's a sign that once again trees are awakening for the spring and getting ready to give us their wonderful fruits in the coming months.

Adiel

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango blooms have what I would describe as a "mixed bag" scent. There is a sweetness and a spiciness to the fragrance, but also a component that draws flies. So, for you human bloodhounds (Gerry) my condolences. You would be suffering with the strong odor which pervades my yard this time of year. I think the strongest mango bloom smell has peaked for this year. Things should start quieting down from an olfactory perspective as the little fruitlets start to develop.

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

To me, it smells like corn bread...

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I have noticed that some smell more pleasant than others. Last year my deceased Lancetilla, Juli and Cogshall were all blooming close to the same time and some smelled better while others really didn't smell too nice. To me it's a very small price to pay for such an awesome tasting fruit!
    Andrew

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

They are nowhere near Hyacinth or Lilac, but they definitely have a floral scent. Yes, they have a musky scent as well, but not exactly rotting garbage. The experience of having them bloom inside is interesting since the flowers transpire, which forms an aura of cool air around the tree, and that cool air cascades onto the couch, showering it with chilled, mango flower scent. I just thought it was nice.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

well each to their own. i much preferred the lychee blooms scents- very tropical fruit fragrance, and i also enjoyed licking the nectar from the flowers- very honey like.
    but nothing beats the smell of citrus blooms.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

My wife hate's the smell of mango blooms she says it smells like spoiled indian curry spice. Myself on the other hand like the smell of blooms it's kind of a sweet, spicy floral scent.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have noticed lots of honey bees in the yard this year...seems more than usual. I'm with Gerry on the best overall fragrance being citrus blooms. I tolerate mango bloom smell and like lychee bloom smell. Its amazing to go out at night to see the number of moths with "glow in the dark" eyes that frequent the mango blooms, especially. The potential pollinators for mangoes here in Florida are incredibly diverse. I have seen many types of beetles, flies, lacewings, bees, wasps, moths, and butterflies. Honey bees are not supposed to be significant pollinators of mango, but this year I have found otherwise.

Harry

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Harry, I noticed the same thing this season with my haden. Much more honey bees. Due to so much pollination, there are hundreds of tiny mangoes.

Alexi

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Same observation here - tons of honey bees.

Jeff