Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaslan

Canistel

yaslan
14 years ago

{{gwi:525663}}

It tastes almost like a sweet potato. But it's thicker, creamier and sweeter.Too sweet for my taste. I'd prefer a mango, june plum or starfuit dipped with that special Asian sauce...lol.

Comments (11)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Canistel is not loved by all. It is creamy and sweet (at least the good ones are) and has considerable nutritive food value.

Table 4. Nutritional value of canistel (100 g; 3.5 oz).z
    Constituent
    Value
    61% Calcium
    26.5 mg
    Calories
    139 kcal

Phosphorus
    37.3 mg
    Protein
    1.7 g

Iron
    0.9 mg
    Fat
    0.13 g

Carotene
    0.32 mg
    Carbohydrate
    37 g

Niacin
    3.7 mg
    Fiber
    0.1 g

Ascorbic acid
    58 mg
    I have dehydrated it successfully, making an interesting fruit chew. But the best way to have it is in a canistel cream pie.

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the canistel Harry and providing nutritional info. Do you know how long the seeds are viable? Also, do you know of a recipe for the canistel cream pie? I bet it's pretty tasty and interesting to make.

~ Bo

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

The seeds, like most tropical seeds do not have long viability. If they dehydrate, they will not germiate. If you want to hold them or ship them, put them in some moistened perlite and they will hold...but will also start growing.

I'll have to find that recipe for the canistel pie. It has been a while since I have made it. Fairchild has some recipes, not sure how they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canistel recipes

• murahilin
    14 years ago

I've tried a few of the recipes. Canistel tastes much better prepared than raw. The canistel milkshake isnt so bad. Neither are the muffins. Havent tried the pie though.

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Harry and murahilin. I will check it out. I am also wondering if I can use my sweet potato pie recipe and use canistel instead. This will be interesting to find out. The milkshake and muffins sounds like it will be fun to try as well.

~ Bo

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

I think they taste ok, but they have a "dry" taste that bothers me.
    In milkshakes it is better, I did not like it frozen as a sherbet.

• dghays
    14 years ago

If you have a good variety and let it get fairly soft, they are very good, especially the flesh right around the seed. 'Canistel nog' is excellent. They grow fast and easy by seed.

Gary

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Does anyone know if they grow true from seed? They don't sound like a tree that I would be willing to pay the price of a grafted tree for, but if the seed grows true it might be worth a try.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

They do not grow true to seed....as far as I know...but they are super easy to graft.

• suzy_victor_laposte_net
    12 years ago

Avez-vous des recettes sal�es avec le canistel?
    Personnellement apres une premi�re exp�rience non concluante, je le coupe en petits morceaux avec un filet d'huile d'olive et un peu de sel et je commence � appr�cier.
    C'est un fruit qui m�rite d'etre gouter � plusieurs reprises pour etre appr�ci�

• gnappi
    12 years ago

I bought one that is ~5' tall and has had madding teenie weenie fruits on it for a few months. I'm REALLY surprised to hear it's not as well liked as mango. I can eat them till I'm sick :-)

Have those of you that don't care for them eaten them really cold? They change texture and flavor... well at least to me!