Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trini4

Update-Julie Mango seed

trini1trini
15 years ago

Last August, I posted a question about a mango tree that I had. I grew it from the seed of a julie mango and have no idea what it is. Well, at 3 years old, it flowered profusely and has tons of fruit on it. It has been pruned several time but continues to grow rapidly. Still not sure what it is but maybe you guys have and idea.

Thanks

Comments (19)

• tammysf
    15 years ago

Wow trini, your tree looks amazing. How big is it?

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is probably over 15 feet already (3 years). At the time, I didn't know julie didn't grow from seed, so thinking it was going to be a small tree, I planted it close to the house. (duh)

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

Wow, that is some amazing growth for only three years. I hope the fruit tastes good for you, but even if the fruit ends up not being very good you will at least have a great rootstock and could topwork it into anything you want. I have to think that if it grew that large in only three years it will end up being a massive tree. Good luck, maybe you'll have the next great new variety of mango.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Beautiful tree Trini!! That grew really fast and big in three years, Wow!! From what I've read sometimes trees that are grown from seeds can grow really fast, but your lucky, also from what I've read seed grown trees don't usually fruit till they are much older 5-7 years or more. Yours is an exception to that rule it seems? Like Js, said you won't know what you have till you taste the fruit. Please keep us updated and let us know what the size,taste, and texture(fiber or fiberless). How cool would that be if you discover a new variety!

Apparently, the Julie characteristics is not on that tree...since this variety is suppose to be a "Dwarf",lol.

Keep us posted!!

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, for the amount of fruit that this tree is producing, it better be good and have little fiber. :) Murahilin had mentioned in my original post that the root stock could have been turpentine mango. I have heard of it but don't recall ever tasting it. If it isn't a good variety, I will still use it for recipes like chutney and jams.

I also forgot to mention....I have never given this tree fertilizer.

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

There's a reason you have never tasted it. If it ends up being anything close to a turpentine I don't think you will be able to really use them for anything but grafting is pretty simple on mangoes. If they do end up not tasting good you could turn that tree into multiple different types of mangoes.

• dghays
    15 years ago

trini, I'm not sure I fully understand when you mention rootstock. Do you mean from the parent Julie that the seed came from? The rootstock would only have a bearing on how well the tree grows, not taste of the mangos from the budwood. Julie is an excellent mango, I have a Graham which came from a Julie seedling. Anyhow, I think you have an ok chance at ending up with something which tastes great.

Gary

• dr_scifi
    15 years ago

Wow, tree looks great! I also had a seeding at my moms that bear fruit for the first time. We still do not know what it is... When they mature, I'll know and post pictures. What is a turpentine mango? Anyone have pics?

• murahilin
    15 years ago

That's pretty cool that you're getting fruit from such a young seedling tree. I hope it tastes good. Keep us posted.

Gary is right. The rootstock the original was grafted on should not affect the seedling at all.

Turpentine mangos aren't that great for eating because they are way too stringy and some say it tastes somewhat like turpentine. I didn't get the turpentine taste when I ate one, it was just the fiber that bothered me.

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary, I am assuming that this tree will be the variety of whatever the julie was grafted on...but this is new territory for me so I could be totally wrong. :)

I guess I will know around May or June what I am dealing with. Just hope it isn't stringy. Like murahilin, I hate the stringy mangoes. But if nothing else, I am fascinated that this tree fruited in 3 years. It is taller than older grafted varieties that I have. Since there are alot of fruit on this one, maybe the squirrels will leave my other varieties alone now....darned rats!

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

I think what Murahilin was saying is that the rootstock of the plant your seed came from will not affect what your mangoes end up being. Hopefully they end up tasting like Julie, but there is obviously some other genetics in there for the tree to be so vigorous. I think it would be pretty awsome to have a tree that's fruit tasted like a julie but on a massive tree. I would definitely get some seedlings going to use for rootstocks later. If they end up tasting great, I bet you are going to get lots of requests for plants a budwood. Good luck, keep us posted on size/weight as they start getting close.

• dghays
    15 years ago

Genetically, the rootstock would have no effect whatsoever on the genetics which occur from the seed she planted. The fact that the seedling is large would have to do with genes which were expressed in that Julie seed. Since Julie is a monoembryonic mango, it is very unlikely to grow true from seed. This means it would have a great likelihood of having a certain amount of different qualities from its parent, such as tree size, fruit shape or taste. Regardless, if you start with a great tasting parent, you have a better chance of genes being passed on which result in a great tasting offspring. A friend has a Mallika seedling, and it tastes great too, but it doesn't always work out like that.

Gary

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Gary and everyone for the information.
    I will keep you posted on the taste in a few months.
    T-

• britlexliv
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Did you ever find out what type of mango you have?

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I was told it could be considered a Graham but I haven't tasted a Graham yet so I can't compare. I just know it's one of my fave.

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

I think Harry may have had Grahams in the box yesterday. I have not tasted it yet either but I am hoping the one you gave me will be ready in another day or 2. I might have to request some budwood if they are as good as you say. Has your tree had any issues with anthracnose like julies do?

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Trini1,
    Did someone tell you it tasted like a Graham or that it could be called a Graham?

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

In a previous thread I told trini Graham is a Julie seedling that sounded alot like his seedling, obviously it will not be identical to a grafted Graham, but the fruit sounds maybe close enough to pass snuff, if the fruit are very similar or better and the tree has better attributes then Graham, it wouldnt be a stretch to consider it "improved Graham"

• murahilin
    12 years ago

No, it would be a stretch.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville