Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloods are ready MangoDog

Posted by jfernandez 10B (lahabrafernandez@aol.com) on
Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 21:49

check out this seedless juicy Moro.....it's almost burgundy and ridiculously sweet. wow, if any of my mango trees die I know what to replace it with. This better than Cara-Cara and Sanguinelli.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloods are ready MangoDog

Hey jfernandez, where did you pick that up from. I recently picked some blood oranges up from Jimbo's (beginning of the season, I think) and they were really tart. I've tried them later in the year before and they were excellent. I wonder if they will sweeten up in San Diego? Nice pics and nice countertop!

o

I've been harvesting some beautiful almost black Morros up this way, lots of complexity in the flavor. One benefit of being colder than you. :)

-Ethan

o

I can't wait for my Moro to fruit...
that's the color I'm looking forward to!

Josh

o

I'm not sure I've ever had a "blood" jfern! They do like intriguing though - and they MUST taste orange-like, yes?

I have a few HUGE navel oranges left on my 3-in-1 Citrus, but they were and probably still are watery sweet - I read one should cut the water off when the fruit is forming so they don't get like that, and stay smaller and sweeter....I should bring one when i see you on the 22nd

Don't know how the bloods would fare here in the desert....

mangoDOGintheDesert

o

Gary, Simon, Josh and Ethan -

I bought the Moro last Christmas for my son @ Claussen's in Fallbrook....it's hard to describe it, has a berry taste, no bitterness (acidless), seedless really complex taste. I became a big fan of blood oranges on my first trip to Catalunya back in the late 70's. We drove down south to Andalucia . I had my first one in Valencia,famous for their paella, and I've been hooked ever since. Wow Ethan, I would have never imagine that your colder winters would improve a Moro!

o

Wow! I wonder if I'm picking mine too early... they looked ripe and tasted great in December, but they only had streaks of red in them. Does the red increase if you leave them on the tree? My tree is in a pot and I'm in zone 7b, all my citrus seem to ripen earlier than trees in warmer zones so I just thought these would be ready sooner. Next winter I will hold off on the picking if thats what it takes to get this type of color.

o

I love the rich magenta color of your fruit. I have purchased blood oranges in the store that looked like these and were excellent in flavor. I bought two trees and they have fruited but the fruit look nothing like yours. They barely get some red flecks inside in the otherwise orange flesh. Sad to say. The flavor wasn't bad, but the color is half the experience.

Harry

o

do you still have them? weve gotten some awfully cold winters these last two years

o

Harry, did you purchase 'Moro' Blood Oranges specifically?
The different Blood Oranges have varying amounts of color and wine/raspberry flavor.

Josh

o

Bryan:

I still have one of them.....but it is small and in general decline from non-appreciation of my mucky sometimes flooded yard. I think it might be in bloom now. Will have to pay more attention to it. I don't think it had much of a crop the last two years despite the cold. As you can see by my answer, I pay much more attention to other things in my yard.

Josh:

Of course I had no idea that there was something called Moro when I tried blood orange for the first time and then set about to locate a tree locally. I believe I got this one from Flamingo Gardens. I am sure they oredered it from else where, the identification of which, I am sure is long gone.

Harry

o

Thanks Harry.

No, I'm also surprise. I've eaten excellent Moro's in farmers market, Gelson's and Wholes Food but there is nothing like a home grown Blood. Cara-Cara is very popular here in Socal those are the ones you'll find in the backyard.

JF

o

It's funny that this is posted. I just bought two Moro blood oranges at the local fresh market and WOW! those things were good. Where can someone order a tree from?

o

I bought mine from Four Winds Growers....but I'm in northern California.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here