Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernandez_gw

Bloods are ready MangoDog

jfernandez
13 years ago

check out this seedless juicy Moro.....it's almost burgundy and ridiculously sweet. wow, if any of my mango trees die I know what to replace it with. This better than Cara-Cara and Sanguinelli.

Comments (13)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Hey jfernandez, where did you pick that up from. I recently picked some blood oranges up from Jimbo's (beginning of the season, I think) and they were really tart. I've tried them later in the year before and they were excellent. I wonder if they will sweeten up in San Diego? Nice pics and nice countertop!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

I've been harvesting some beautiful almost black Morros up this way, lots of complexity in the flavor. One benefit of being colder than you. :)

-Ethan

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I can't wait for my Moro to fruit...
    that's the color I'm looking forward to!

Josh

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I'm not sure I've ever had a "blood" jfern! They do like intriguing though - and they MUST taste orange-like, yes?

I have a few HUGE navel oranges left on my 3-in-1 Citrus, but they were and probably still are watery sweet - I read one should cut the water off when the fruit is forming so they don't get like that, and stay smaller and sweeter....I should bring one when i see you on the 22nd

Don't know how the bloods would fare here in the desert....

mangoDOGintheDesert

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gary, Simon, Josh and Ethan -

I bought the Moro last Christmas for my son @ Claussen's in Fallbrook....it's hard to describe it, has a berry taste, no bitterness (acidless), seedless really complex taste. I became a big fan of blood oranges on my first trip to Catalunya back in the late 70's. We drove down south to Andalucia . I had my first one in Valencia,famous for their paella, and I've been hooked ever since. Wow Ethan, I would have never imagine that your colder winters would improve a Moro!

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Wow! I wonder if I'm picking mine too early... they looked ripe and tasted great in December, but they only had streaks of red in them. Does the red increase if you leave them on the tree? My tree is in a pot and I'm in zone 7b, all my citrus seem to ripen earlier than trees in warmer zones so I just thought these would be ready sooner. Next winter I will hold off on the picking if thats what it takes to get this type of color.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I love the rich magenta color of your fruit. I have purchased blood oranges in the store that looked like these and were excellent in flavor. I bought two trees and they have fruited but the fruit look nothing like yours. They barely get some red flecks inside in the otherwise orange flesh. Sad to say. The flavor wasn't bad, but the color is half the experience.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

do you still have them? weve gotten some awfully cold winters these last two years

13 years ago

Harry, did you purchase 'Moro' Blood Oranges specifically?
    The different Blood Oranges have varying amounts of color and wine/raspberry flavor.

Josh

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

I still have one of them.....but it is small and in general decline from non-appreciation of my mucky sometimes flooded yard. I think it might be in bloom now. Will have to pay more attention to it. I don't think it had much of a crop the last two years despite the cold. As you can see by my answer, I pay much more attention to other things in my yard.

Josh:

Of course I had no idea that there was something called Moro when I tried blood orange for the first time and then set about to locate a tree locally. I believe I got this one from Flamingo Gardens. I am sure they oredered it from else where, the identification of which, I am sure is long gone.

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry.

No, I'm also surprise. I've eaten excellent Moro's in farmers market, Gelson's and Wholes Food but there is nothing like a home grown Blood. Cara-Cara is very popular here in Socal those are the ones you'll find in the backyard.

JF

• reb1136
    13 years ago

It's funny that this is posted. I just bought two Moro blood oranges at the local fresh market and WOW! those things were good. Where can someone order a tree from?

13 years ago

I bought mine from Four Winds Growers....but I'm in northern California.

Josh