Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjbjjbh

pomegranate tree pruning

Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
11 years ago

Is it too late to prune pomegranate trees in 9b/ss18? Anyone know? According to Pat Welsh it should have happened in January but I missed that boat. Please advise.

Comments (8)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i just pruned my Angel Red's about 2 weeks ago. prune anytime. i always prune the new shoots coming from the base all year long. then i prune away any crisscrossing branches, again anytime of the year.

• Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response.
    Any idea when the pomegranate tree starts flowering in Southern California Zone 9b/ SS 18-19?

We inherited this tree when we bought an existing home few months ago and have no idea what the growth cycle is. Any related info will be appreciated.

• sapote
    11 years ago

it should already shoot out new leaves now and follow with flowers within a week or two.

Sapote

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

mine has started budding.

have you fertilized yet? i use regular Miracle Gro at half the recommended strength once per month from about late Feb thru the end of Sept.

• avocado101
    11 years ago

My pomegranates looks similar to the above picture houstontexas posted, except it's bigger. It's been about 4 years since purchased and planted. It is close to 10 feet tall and 5 feet wide.

Is your tree in the shade, and not getting enough sunshine?
    If your pomegranate does not have any leaves, you should still be able to prune and not shock the tree as much.

And how old or what size is the tree? If healthy and large, some pruning shouldn't affect it. And how much of pruning are you intending? IMO pomegranates are pretty tolerant.

• sapote
    11 years ago

There are two options for the tree shape: bushy or single trunk pomegranate.
    I prefer a single trunk tree, and for this, one should cut off all but leave one main trunk from 5' and below, any time of the year. Above that, there is no need to prune anually, since the fruits are grew from the last year branches.

Pomegrante tends to have multiple lower branches by nature, and if leave it this way then you have a bushy plant as in the previous post photo.

Sapote

This post was edited by sapote on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 19:15

• Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your replies. Lots of useful info.

Yes, the tree gets plenty of full sun. It is against a south-facing wall.

I have no idea how old the tree is. The house is only 6 years old. No idea when the previous owners planted the pom. But it is fairly well grown....... at least 8' tall and 5' wide.

I have plenty of leaves as of now but no signs of any flowers at all. No, I have not fertilized it since moving in.

What do I need to do right now to encourage flowering? Should I fertilize? If so, what kind? How often?

Any more tips on getting it to flower will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• greenleaf_organic
    11 years ago

I heard on a radio show that the bush from of the pomegranate tree seems to yield more fruit. For what its worth I am just going to leave my newly planted tree as a bush to see what happens.