Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Rambutan

bananafan
11 years ago

Has anyone here been able to grow Rambutan successfully here in the main land? It's a true tropical plant that requires a lot of sun and humidity to grow well. Furthermore, it's sensitive to cold temperature of below 60's. I kept two in the pots for a few years, but they finally dwindled away with no leaves on their stems. I know I'm just trying to push the limits keeping them here. Even if they live, I don't even know they'll fruit in a pot. There's no way I can plant them in the ground. Over the past few years, I have had to bring them indoor whenever the temperature gets below 60's. It proves to be too much for me and them too. I don't know if they'll come back to live when the weather gets hot here again.

The picture here shows them in their happier days which were in 2009.

Comments (12)

• bananafan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of some of my Rambutan seedlings I started in Sep of 2009. They're still around and have grown no more than 3 ft. They seem to be a lot cold hardy. I have left them out in some cold weather. Some died and some are still alive.

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    11 years ago

Nice! My rambutan on the big island are around 15 to 20 ft tall air layered and is producing so much fruit. For some reason one of the trees produces fruit through out the year, there's always a couple bunches always ripe on th tree here and there!!

• soaht
    11 years ago

Bananafan- If you have a big green house maybe. Down in south Florida they have, but I've only seen nursery that have done it successfully. Even then it's a difficult process, being ultra tropical, overly sensitive to even the sightly temp drop and requiring high humidity. Anyways your plants look healthy, who knows you might be the lucky one to beat the odds.

Hawiia- I'm still jealous of you and can't wait to see the pictures on your granpa's farm.

• Solfire73
    11 years ago

Hawaii,

Would you consider selling me an air layered piece from your ever-bearing Rambutan?

Thanks,
    Sol

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    11 years ago

Solfire, unfortunately the time an process to get papers and certificates from my dep of ag is too much if a hassle for me, sorry!! I'm sure you could get a air layer from someone on the forum that lives on the mainland, it would e way easier!!
    HawaiiFruitGrower

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    11 years ago

Soaht, haha thanks! In about a month I will have pictures for all if you to see!!

• bananafan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Soaht, you're right. Rambutans for us in the subtropical here unfortunately is too much of a stretch to keep. I will have a greenhouse soon this year. Hopefully, the greenhouse can provide some humidity and heat for the summer. In the Winter, I'll probably use a propane heater ... Sometimes I think I'm waisting my time, but because I really like these plants, I'm just going to keep them alive as much as I can until they give up their souls.

That said, I always enjoy seeing others able to grow their Rambutans successfully here.

• Zigmund
    11 years ago

Hi! did you know that the best rambutan is not a rambutan? It is called the Pulasan. It is closely related to and tastes like rambutan. Flesh is sweeter. Flesh detaches completely from seed-- better eating quality. Seed are edible: Tastes like almonds. The skin is not of strands, but of spokes (like of the jackfruit). I think it is more hardy as the trees grow bigger than rambutan. I am not sure of this though, but I just thought of mentioning it as it might be interesting to get someone in this forum interested to try planting a pulasan tree in the colder regions -- something I would like to see the results of

Thanks!

• bananafan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Zigmund, I've heard of Pulasan, but I didn't know that it's more cold hardy. Maybe I'll have to read more about it and try to source out one to grow. Are you going to plant one yourself?

Thanks for the info on the plant.

• tuttifrutti
    10 years ago

I'm the crazy person who is attempting to grow both Rambutan and Pulasans. I have small seedlings and a greenhouse so, I am hopeful that these will grow. Will keep you all posted on the progress.

• soupb
    9 years ago

tuttifruti and bananafan please update your progress.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

soupb,

I wish I had better news for you ..., but the picture of my 2 Rambutans in their hay days aren't doing so good now. I forgot to bring them indoors when the cold weather here started and I only realized that yesterday. Their leaves have all dropped off, but I think their stems are still alive. They probably will come around when the warmer weather starts.

As far as the seedlings go, they're all gone by now. It's hard to keep these plants around as they're ultra tropical. Their growth rate is also very slow in the climate here. They would need a true tropical climate to set their growth hormone going. Otherwise, they're just as good as ornamental plants. Still, I'll keep them around as long as they're doing ok, but I don't think I'll ever see them fruit unless of course I have a green house that is warm enough to grow them.

Do you have a Rambutan there and if so, how is it doing?

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living