Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_mango

Please Help!! Unhappy Mango Leaves.

Jay_Mango
13 years ago

My baby mangoes are unhealthy. The leaves are spot wilting. My avacado did this also with new leaves (now there are just holes in a few leaves). But I'm very attached to the one mango as the seed was a present. Here are links to pictures:

Mango_1ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ (Dear Mango, bad tip burn?)

Mango_2 ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ (Tiny Mango, sunburn?)

Mango_3 ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ (Symptom of root rot?)

Avacado_1 ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ (Avacado months after trauma)

The avacado seems to be fine now, but i'm very worried about the two mangos. I do not water them too often (light watering once or twice a week), the apartment is 60-70 right now. I use tap water. Are they too cold? Is it possible there is a salt build up in the soil? Should I flush the soil? I've started thawing snow hoping that would work nicer. Also, I've only fertilised them once, they are both approximately 5-8 months old and they don't get too much sunlight. I have a flourescent grow light on them for about 10 hours a day and a 60 watt grow light for intermittent 4 hours between 10:30am and 3:30pm. I've also been using rubbing alcohol to battle fungus gnats.

Please help, I don't know what to do.

Comments (8)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

I know what your problem is. In the second pic I see you are watering them with Evian. Mango trees prefer Voss or Perrier. That should fix the problem.

• Jay_Mango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

haha, yeah I wish I would've known that before spending all that money. Truth is I like to leave the water sit out for a day or two before using it and the bottles work pretty well. Got them at big lots for $0.75 or so.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Hard to say what that is. What kind of soil are you growing in? What are you fertilizing with and how often? How often do you water and how moisture retentive is your soil?

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I had leaf spots that were similiar but mine were caused by the 600 watt HPS light. Even when I tried to slowly acclimate the mango seedling to the stronmg light, I still ended up with leaf scorch.

My Carrie mango and Lancetilla did the same exact thing. How close to the light source are the tree and how long have you kept them under the lights?

Evian water LMAO!! But the water could be part of the issue couldn't it? City water tends to have chlorine and other chemicals in it and I just wonder if that affects the tree's roots.

Where do you live Jay? if you live somewhere where it is cold during the winter at least it's almost over and soon enough the mango seedlings will be back outdoors and you shouldn't have these problems.

Again, make sure you slowly acclimate t hem to the light or you may lose them! I stupidly did this with my Soursop seedling. I knew better and the end result was that I lost the tree.

Andrew

• Jay_Mango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The soil is a mix between MG General Potting soil and a cactus citrus mix for drainage. I water them 2-3 times a week very lightly ( generally little to no water comes out the bottom of the pots).

I only fertilized them once lightly about three months after they had started growing with a liquid fert mix from "organic choice?"

The fazli is about a foot and a half from the flourescent light and 2-3 feet from the 60watt incadesent light, which I only started back up yesterday, my last bulb burnt out 2-3 weeks ago. The little tiny haden (i believe) is 2 feet further away. The flourescent light is on from 7:30am until 7:30 pm or so with a few breaks during the day. The incandescent light is on intermittently between 10:30am and 3 pm.

I live currently in upstate ny, st lawrence county (zone 3a-3b).

How would you reccomend acclimating them to the light.
    And I've also read that mangos are very susceptible to salt burn, should I consider leaching the soil?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Ah, a 60watt incandescent. I've seen them do that kind of damage to other indoor grown plants.

I don't think you will need to leach the soil. Doesn't seem like enough salts would have built up.

The first two pics look like burn damage from being too close to a light and the 4th pic the tree looks healthy.

The 3rd I am not completely sure about but it is probably also burn damage. Otherwise all your leaves look pretty healthy. Doesn't appear to be major nutrient deficiencies.

• Jay_Mango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, thanks to everyone, I hope it holds up until summer. Fazli mangoes, (which hopefully grows true from seed) are really hard to find in the states. I'd be very sad if it died.

And I'll try to back the lights up a bit.
    How often would you all suggest leaching the soil?
    How often would you suggest fertilizing?
    And is it possible that they are quasi dormant due to the temperature?

• Jay_Mango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry to be persistent. I've read that it is possible there is a mineral deficiency resulting in "little-leaf" or mottling. That would explain the abnormal and growth of the new leaves, which are 1/4 the size of the largest leaf on the mango, and their pale coloring.

Regardless here is a reference on mineral deficiency symptoms in plant leaves

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470698983.app1/pdf

My problem is I know mangoes are very sensitive to over fertilization, and I'm not comfortable making any decisions at all lol.