Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango_kush

Giant Granadilla

mango_kush
13 years ago

tried my first Giant Granadilla today and was not impressed. the rind was like an insipid pear and the seeds are too large to eat wityh the pulp like smaller passionfruit. the fruit are huge, this one was smaller, eggplant sized. the flowers are large and worth growing alone

the Sri Kembangan carambola

large, sweet and refreshing

Comments (9)

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

that's a really nice cutting board you've got there, Bryan. I own several bamboo cutting boards myself

Tim

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

What does it taste like? I may just put up a vine or two on my trellis for shade, the flowers are beautiful too.

Tim

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its insipid, tasteless. The pulp is scant, I would consider this an ornamental

The flowers are huge. I would recommend purple possum or sweet sunrise if you want to grow fruit, I love eating passiofruit seeds and all, they are high in fiber

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I actually liked mine a lot. The big problem is that it doesn't put out a lot of fruit. My wife cooks the rind and makes a really delicious treat out of it.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I'm with Bryan on this one....beautiful flower.....the fruit.......well, calling it insipid tasting is being generous. My Trinidadian neighbors call it Barbadine and make a drink out of itnthat they are quite fond of. Its still an ornamental to me.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

That's funny -- what a range of tastes and palates. My central american wife prefers the giant passion fruit over the smaller ones. That just goes to show that when it comes to fruit you really have to taste it for yourself.

Jeff

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

going a bit off topic here but does anyone here grow or have any experience with Cucumis melo var. Conomon?

how does it taste & your liking?

Tim

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeff, how does your wife prepare it? maybe she eats it under ripe? Im pretty open minded to fruit but tasteless is tasteless. the seeds are too large and not enough juice around them to bother really unless you have alot and boil it down?

the smaller ones I eat seeds and all

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

She (and I) eat them ripe. I've never had any problem eating the seeds to be honest. My wife actually likes the taste of the seeds. One reason she prefers the giant granadilla is because it's less tart than the small ones. Granted there are sweet passion fruit like the ligularis, but in general the smaller ones are used only for juice in many latin american countries because they are too tart. Moreover, the rind makes a great treat if you know how to prepare it. My wife cooks it with sugar and spices.

Jeff