Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mullenium

Problems with new glenn mango (lots of pics)

mullenium
15 years ago

I bought this grafted glenn about 2 weeks ago, it was already starting to flower so i pinched off the flowing stalks as soon as they started to pop out from the main stem. I left 1 of them intact so the plant can go through its normal functions.

There are tiny elongated white bugs crawling over what seems to be only the new growth. They are very hard to see and are super small so it was hard to get pics of them. I tried an organic plant based dish washing liquid mixed with some water in a spray bottle but the next day the tiny things are back again (they are small enough you can blow them off pretty easy so maybe they blow with the wind?)

Could they be causing the wrinkling and deformation of the leaves? or is that normal for the flowering part of the plant to show these signs?

Comments (9)

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Might be thrips. These pests will survive a nuclear nightmare better than cockroaches! Very little kills them and what doesn't, only makes them stronger. I suspect these because of them being found on the new growth and what your new leaves look like. The only doubt I have is your description of them being white. Try hosing the plant often. Then try something much stronger. Will probably need something for the soil as well. If you can't get rid of them, you may have to sacrifice the new growth. Keep the plant isolated from anything else.

• mullenium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It might be hard to get rid of them being as I live in a huge farm town. (I always see tons of these tiny things but black color crawling on my driveway, and they hop if you try to touch them) I havent noticed them on any of the new growth on my orange trees I've planted at the same time. They seem to be attracted only to the mango.

What would you suggest I use as a pesticide?

I have Cypermethrin but im not sure if that is safe to use on plants.

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

mull sorry to drag this off topic but what software do you use to write on your pics?

• mullenium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just use MS Paint lol

• mullenium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes after doing some research I believe they are thrips. Also some of the baby leaves have fallen completely off due to this issue.

Anyone know a good method of control? will neem oil sprayed on the plant every 3 or so days work? also what can I use to treat the soil? I inoculated the soil with mycorrhizal fungi so I dont want anything I use to kill them.

• mullenium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought some Organocide and some stuff called Sevin. I'll try alternating applications for a couple weeks and see if that helps

• jean001
    15 years ago

You wrote: "(I always see tons of these tiny things but black color crawling on my driveway, and they hop if you try to touch them)"

Those aren't thrips. Thrips adults and larvae are only on plants.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

He's talking about two different pests here. You would never "see" thrips on your driveway. These black ones are something else entirely. Good strong blast with the hose may discourage them.

• mullenium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ohio,

Yes they are 2 different types of bug's.

I guess the drawbacks of leaving in a suberb surrounded by desert and farmland is you get all sorts of weird bugs lol

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio