Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snakejake

Opinions:Which Mango tree from 6 pics?

SnakeJake
11 years ago

I've decided to buy a Nam Doc Mai Mango, and have decided to get it from Mickey at PlantOGram. Mickey has kindly sent me pictures of three trees. I have never had the pleasure of growing a Mango tree. So I was hoping to get some opinions from forum members more experienced than myself. I am leaning towards #2 mainly from the looks of the graft. It appears straight and the rootstock and the scion seem to be of equal caliber. Appreciate any and all opinions, thanks.

Richard

#1 Graft

#2 Graft

#3 Graft

Comments (25)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hello, I would pick #1 or #2...either one looks pretty nice.

In case you haven't seen it...for future pruning or tipping technique down the road when your tree has acclimated and gotten use to its new home and climate...here's a nice video that shows you how to tip prune mango trees.

Good luck and enjoy your new tree...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning--Tipping Mango trees...

• bobtrann
    11 years ago

I would pick #2 and then #1. But after 5 yrs you won't notice much difference when the trunk gets bigger.

• SnakeJake
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bob and Pug for your input. Pug, thanks for the link also. Have either one of you done the tipping, if so, how has it worked out? I knew I was going to have to do some pruning to control it's growth since my climate dictates it's going to be a container life for my NDM.

Richard

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I have done tip pruning and I've even "pugged" a couple of mango trees(slang for hard prune,lol...)

Here's a couple of pictures of before and after "tipping" or pruning my tree. It has worked very well for me and I do it yearly after I've picked all the fruits is the best time to prune them. If they are young and are not fruiting yet...you can usually tip/prune when your weather is warm, usually in the Spring and Summer is the best time to do this. In Florida I don't prune them after the first week of September so they have some time to flush out new growths, harden them off and have a "rest" period... hopefully if all goes well it blooms in Dec. or January.

Some people don't prune their mango trees and it will still grow, its a personal preference. I personally like my trees short and bushy...while some likes it tall. Its up to you...

I can only post one picture at a time using GW picture posting site...this is the tree Before I pruned it...

BTW, this tree was done in 2007...I've since planted it in the ground in the summer of that year. Unfortunately, I do get freezes here almost every year and it has been severely damaged a couple of times :o(...I do the best I can to protect it but sometimes its not enough and it still gets damaged.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here it is a couple of months later...

Good luck with your tree...remember to take it slow at first. You can always trim it again...so don't go too drastic...baby steps,lol...

I would feel bad is it doesn't turn out the way you hoped.

• sapote
    11 years ago

Hi Richard,

I would choose #1 over #2 since 1 is more mature in root-stock and scion.

I recently bought some 3 gal mango from TT, and these photos show Plantogram has biggger and better looking trees. Will it be shipped with pot or root ball?

As about the graft itself, cleft grafting is the popular technique for mango, but in these photos it seems whip grafting was used. Could someone help to confirm this?

Brian

• SnakeJake
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pug, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I especially appreciate the posting of the pictures, it really states the case how pruning the Mango effects the growth. Mine will be a container plant and seeing how your' responded is how I would like mine to respond. Even being close to San Diego and not that high at 4000' we had snow for 2 days about 2 weeks ago. Hence the need for a container plant.

I emailed Mickey and said I wanted #2. But I just recently found out about NDM#4 which sounds like a better fit for ,me. The smaller size makes it easier to move around, and the precociousness so I can start eating the fruit sooner are big pluses. So I asked him to look into it, but have not heard back. Would you have any experience with that flavor of Mango?

Btw, what flavor is your Mango?

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

You're welcome...and best of luck with your NDM. Hope it does well for you.

This is Cogshall tree...another excellent variety for container. It grows naturally short and bushy...another variety that I would recommend for container is Pickering...a couple of choices should you decide to try another.

BTW, this is the Cogshall tree (taken last summer) when it had some fruits July 2012...This is the same tree pictured above that I planted in the ground summer of 2007.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Close up of a few of the mangoes...hard to see them on the picture above...

• SnakeJake
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice looking plant, and having it produce fruit is turning me a touch green. Sometimes I wish I lived where I could grow the tropicals outside in the ground. But then again I could not have my Cherry trees.

Yes i was/am looking at the Cogshall, Pickering, Mallika, Julie, Carrie, Ice Cream, but I had to start somewhere. I wanted a compact tree suitable for container growing, had to be sweet and fiberless, guess there many that fit that, and it had to produce polyembryonic seeds. I enjoy growing plants from seeds, and presently I have 6 Mango seedlings. Only the polyembryonic seeds grow true, but it will take years to get to the point where they will bear fruit.

If the Nam Doc Mai works out I will be looking to get another variety. Probably one that would be a good cross, so I can try my hand at a little breeding.

Thanks again for the nice pictures and the good information.

• charleslou23
    11 years ago

puglvr1 you just love to show your mango trees dont ya lol.... every post you made you have to include pics of your mango trees.

• myamberdog
    11 years ago

...and I LOVE seeing them!

If you knew, Charles, just how much bad luck the weather has given her and some of her trees over the years, you might understand how happy she is to show her successes!!!!

And by the way, Jake was asking for more,too....

myamberwoofie

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks for having my back myamberdog :o)...I appreciate it,lol...

Yup, you are right! I've had my share of bad luck with "freezes" and just to show you...here's a few pictures of what some of my trees have been through!! NOT for the weak of hearts,lol...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's another mango tree...thought it was a goner...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's another one :o(

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's what it looks like several weeks after that horrible fate...actually I can't believe some of them lived...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

And the tree I posted that had fruits on it...that tree looked like this about 4 years ago...Well, you get the idea, Its been a rough 5-6 years for my poor mango trees to say the least,lol...

• sapote
    11 years ago

puglvr1,

How cold was it to cause this kind of damage in your 9b zone. I live in 10a and never have seen this cold in 20 years (Burbank CA91501).

• vincesfl
    11 years ago

hello all!

I live in south Florida so our biggest concern with fruit trees are disease and space in our yard. Unfortunately, I have a small yard but I make the most of it with over 20 different types of tropical fruit trees. I just planted my new Glenn mango graftling. I placed it next to my bananas and my Madagascar seedless guava. I know they say to give your trees plenty of room but I am a tropical fruit tree nut. I figure if you can grow a tree in pot, then you can grow it high density. I have had success do far. I even have two mango trees growing in the same hole. A wild from seed and a Haden.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

How cold was it to cause this kind of damage in your 9b zone. I live in 10a and never have seen this cold in 20 years (Burbank CA91501).

Hi Sapote, that winter we had 5 or 6 early morning lows of 23-30 degrees for 6-8 hours!! Worst winter in FL in over 20+ years!! I hope we never see anther winter like that again. To think I covered (frost cloth) and even had some lights underneath them and still SO much damage :o(

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

One of them all lit up...

• sapote
    11 years ago

puglvr1,

Thanks for the info. Winter protection using light bulbs is a convienience way but maybe not that effective. Light bulbs were designed to be efficience in generating light (photons), not heat. Here we want more heat, not photons. If I were you I would use cheap lady hair irons or hair driers.
    a small running lectric fan is more effective than light bulbs.

sapote

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Sapote, actually I used these 300-500 watts work lights and if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have any mango trees left at all...it generated enough heat to at least keep the roots from freezing :o(

The fact that we had 23 degrees was what was the biggest factor. Normally, we see around 28 degrees but it was much, much colder...a very rare (thank goodness). The lights I used would have been sufficient enough had we not had the 23-25 degrees for days and hours on end...

The heater fan to be perfectly honest scares me, lol...I have this OCD that it might cause "fire" and burn the frost cloth and the trees,lol...I thought the lights were the lesser of two evils...

I do appreciate your suggestions though...thanks!

Here's the lights I used...I also used the old fashioned C-7/C-9... a couple strings of those and you can have appx. 250-350 watts. I also wrapped the trunks with Carpet Foam and this helped save the graft as well...

• sapote
    11 years ago

Ahh, I didn't know you used those high power work lights. I would think in this case 23F, a hair dryer should save the tree.

No I didn't suggest to use the heater fan. I meant to say using a normal cooling fan to move the air inside the tent to keep the air above freezing. But I'm not so sure now that I realize 23F was very cold. Moving air is warmer than still air.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Sapote...Yeah, 23 degrees was just waaay too cold, considering everything I really am surprised that they lived at all. I'll count my blessings and hope we don't see those temps again for another 20+ years,lol...

Even now if you look at the trees closely, there is still some evidence of some damage limbs from the freeze on the tree. Luckily it didn't prevent it from re-growing...

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH