Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desimango

Mango Graft/Tree Importing from India to California?

desimango
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking these forums and learning quite a bit over the last few months. I've sort of developed mango fever since I've purchased three plants last year. I picked up a Mallika and Glenn from a non-mentionable FL business, and a local Manila - all are doing quite well with the exception of a little leaf tip browning on the Glenn. If my family (aka non-believers) doesn't lynch me first, chances are pretty good I will be purchasing 2-3 more additions to our collection soon.

Back on topic, I will be visiting India and possibly Singapore later this year or early next year and have discovered it is quite possible to bring several mango grafts or even trees back with me. I've contacted the USDA and am working on the paperwork necessary to accomplish this. While I'm sure this will be quite an elaborate and possibly painstaking process, I feel it will be worthwhile. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Since the forum has quite a few knowledgable mango folks, I'd like to ask if anyone has ever attempted or known anyone to attempt this? I wonder if it would even be worthwhile or am I wasting my time? I realize my questions depend heavily on perspective and perhaps I'm attempting to get a reality check from someone with more experience and wisdom.

Here is my quick list of potential imported varieties:

Rasalu

Chinna Rasam or Rasalu

Kesar - Same as Alphonso

Langra or Langda

Himsagar

Ratnagiri

Badam or Badami

Dussehri - Mallika or another variety available here is a cross between Neelum and Dussehri

Imam Basanti

Singapore Maha Chinook and ?

I've had some pretty good mangos growing up in Kalifornia but only rarely did I enjoy something as good as my childhood visits to India. I'd appreciate any insight the kind folks of this forum could provide to a novice.

Cheers,

Desimango

Comments (20)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

get a nursery over their to have well rooted specimens ready and be prepared to fly with them bare root (maybe damp papertowels)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

MK
    When you say "prepared to fly with them" you mean like to "packaway" or once you get the papers just go ahead and handcarry them, and it's smooth sailing?

DesiMango
    I'm very curious about importing as well.

:)

• desimango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango_Kush, bare root? That sounds like a good idea. Can it survive a few days of transit in that condition?

I originally thought of just bringing over a portion to graft but was hoping to bring an already grafted tree since I'm a novice. I wonder if it would be advantageous to do the graft here because I could use Manila rootstock. In either case, a tree with rootball sounds like a safter option. I'm not sure what type of rootstock they use but whatever it is, I'm sure it's more adaptive to local Indian climates. Quite interesting...

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

If the nursery knows what they are doing, the trees will survive just fine barerooted. The roots are wraped generously with damp spaghnum moss.

When doing your paperwork or online permits, you should specify many types of plants you might be interested in. Don't limit yourself to just putting mangos on the list. Sure as hell you will get over there and want to bring something else back.

Also keep in mind that your plants will need to go thru the USDA/Customs inspection station when you arrive back in the states. I know Customs never sleeps but I do not know how plant inspection stations operate. You may arrive back in the states over a weekend and it's a safe bet that they will NOT be open but have more business-like hours of Mon-Fri, 8-4:30. My buddy in Florida recently picked up plants and there were several stations he needed to visit in order to pick up his plants. My advice would be to call the inspection station where you will be coming into the country...LAX? Talk to the people and get as much info as you can from them. Tell them exactly what you are planning to do and you want detailed info on what to expect.

The other concern is bringing the plants onto the plane. Don't think you are going to just waltz onto the plane with them. Check with the airlines first. The box may be too big to carry on so you may have to check it in. I don't believe the luggage storage area on the planes are heated at all???? What might this do to your plants?

Lots of people to talk to and many questions to ask. Worth it? You'll never know unless you try. Purchasing plants while you are there will certainly be much cheaper than an internet purchase. Checking a box in on a plane would also be cheaper than shipping costs. If...IF...you can carry on the box, try to do so. You will be quite surprised just how many barerooted plants can be stuffed into a small box!

Good luck and let us know how things proceed.

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

checking in big boxes with plants should not be a problem (at least in europe). the problem could be the weight = $. on the plane the temperature is not a problem. i've taken that way plants even from peru to europe (over 12 hours)...

try to get the SINDHRI cultivar. It's excellent!

kesar is very good, but alfonso is no.1

Felipe

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

The kesar is actually a different mango from alphonso. I think there is some confusion on the use of the kesar name. I'd love to get a kesar mango tree. Dr Campbell recently imported one but won't start releasing budwood to the public for a couple of years.

Jeff

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

In case anyone wanted to taste a Kesar Vs. an Alphonso, you can order them online by doing a quick search. You can also go to your local indian supermarket and purchase Kesar and Alphonso pulp. They are both super tasty!

• desimango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excellent information everyone.

Ohiojay,

I don't know if Sphagnum Moss is used in India but I'm sure I could take some with me to fulfill that need.

I'm attempting to keep my paperwork simple but wouldn't mind bringing over a guava tree along with the mangos. We have a guava tree that wouldn't stop giving fruit this winter. The fruit is mildly sweet but has a good guava flavor we all like. Having mango fever, I can't think too far beyond mangos and guavas...perhaps some suggestions.

I have quite a bit of time before to plan and your suggestion of being thorough on the return port at SFO is well taken - it would have been months before I would have thought of that. I'll be sure to check their schedule and will try to arrive when they are around. It would be best to transplant the trees as quickly as possible upon return.

I did some quick research on passenger plane cargo temperatures. While I did read some conflicting information, most of the responses said that cargo areas on passenger flights are kept well above freezing temperatures with some flights having a warmer section for pets. It would be best to check with the airline to confirm.

I can't see them letting me walk on the plane with a carry on full of damp sphagnum rooted mango trees and what else. I could be wrong though and will confirm.

If I have to check-in the trees, I could group the trees into a sort of container and place them into an old metal luggage suitcase marked fragile. We have plenty of those old school luggages sitting around back home.

Pikorazi,

I did see the Sindhi variety and forgot to add that to my list. Thank you for the reminder.

Jeff,

Thanks for your input to the Alphonso Kesar confusion. I have a gut feeling what you say is correct. And, Simon mentioned that you can order a kesar and alphonso so they must be different varieties albeit with similarities.

The remaining question I will need to research is their quality of rootstock used for grafts and if it is suitable for our Bay Area California climate.

I appreciate all the input!

Desimango

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

My only advice is this: do not begin to assume that this is going to be easy. This is the USDA/Customs you will be dealing with. A humorless lot. Sort of like watching a movie and the main character is dealing with the nightmare from hell Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Stand in line for an hour in one line only to be told you should have been standing in that line over there! You will be fine, or as near to being fine as you can by gaining any and all info from them and the airlines as you can. Good luck. Again...please keep us informed on what you find out along the way. I'm sure many of us are more than curious how this pans out. Thanks, J

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Is anyone else getting blank page using SEARCH feature on the forum?

Simon:
    You had previously requested for scions/airlayered lychees from HI germplasm center? Can you please give the 411 on how the whole process work? thanks

Tim

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

This is very risky business. Be prepared to lose your entire import if even just one little bad thing is found on one plant (pest or any possible signs of disease). This is from experience (I had proper paperwork too). You have to make sure your grower is knowledgable about pests and disease and have him only select the healthiest looking plants.

I wouldn't worry about the temperatures in transit too much. I'd worry about the time it takes from customs to the USDA inspector then to your home. The ones in CA seem to be more rigorous than other states. By the time it makes it to you, if it is cleared by the inspector, it might just be sticks and dead leaves.

Personally, I think it might be better to import budwood (if that's possible for mangoes). And will obviously be cheaper (maybe allowing for multiple tries).
    Good luck.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Sorry, please disregard if some of the things above doesn't make sense. I thought you were going to be ordering from overseas rather than taking them as passenger cargo.

• desimango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update - warning long read.

I performed quite a bit of research and the process for California residents is as follows:

1. Fill out form USDA/APHIS form PPQ-546, Post Entry Quarantine Permit. There is no cost to this form. It must be submitted to the CDFA (California Dept. of Food & Ag). The CDFA then contacts your local county agricultural dept. to perform a site inspection. There is no charge for this site inspection. The local county inspector signs off on the form and the CDFA then sends it to the USDA/APHIS.

2. CDFA has to perform 2 inspections of the plant material, once it arrives and at the end of the quarantine period of 2 years for mangos. I'm still not quite clear on this. There is a cost associated with these inspections that are performed by a CDFA pathologist. Furthermore, if anything unusual happens to the imported plant material, you have to report it and they have to come out for inspection again.

Due to budget issues, the CDFA only has three service locations throughout CA. The closest one to us is Sacramento. Since I live in San Jose, the travel fee is $150 and the inspection cost is billed at $60hr. I'm attempting to get a more precise cost estimate but have been told it should take no more than a half hour to perform the site inspection since it is residential. So the cost for two inspections comes out to $420. If a plant dies or gets diseased, the cost will increase.

Another issue is that all imported plant material has to be federally inspected also at PIS (plant inspection sites). There is one close to SFO, yet I cannot transport the plant material from the airport to the PIS. It has to be done by a customs bonded carrier. I do not know if there is a charge for the PIS inspections but most likely there is. And also do not understand why the CDFA has to inspect the material once the Feds have already initially done it. They suggested mailing the plant material directly to the PIS station in SFO as this is the typical course of action.

So as you can see, this process is quite elaborate and I'm sure there are a few more details I have not come across yet. I don't mind all these little steps as I wasn't expecting any less being a current govt. employee, but feel the cost associated is a bit high. I was hoping it would be around $300 max.

I have a friend at work who is an entomologist and heads the pest management department, he expained some of the barriers and overlap between the CDFA and USDA. I was hoping my local county could perform the inspections as they do have a working pathologist on site and he is going to see if he can help. I might have given him mango fever because he said he would split the cost with me but his total cost estimate was around $750.

I don't mind paying the hourly cost, it's the travel distance cost that is quite high. Moreover, if I bring back 12 plants and have two die at separate times, that will prompt two additional inspections at an estimated $210 each.

the PEQ program is meant for commercial nurseries/farm use and not us residents but will accomodate us crazed citizens. I'll continue to research more and will eventually decide if I want to go through with it.

Cheers,
    Desimango

• Kevin Reilly
    13 years ago

Desimango,

Good luck with this, hopefully it works out for you. It caught my eye that you grow Guava in San Jose. I'm in San Jose as well and was thinking of putting in a Guava tree. Is yours in ground? Against a wall? Facing what direction? I'm trying to figure out where I should stick one to give it the best chance of survival.

Thanks....

• desimango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

^^^ My guava tree is planted in the ground next to the west fence in our backyard. It is about 2-3' away. It has been taking the winter like a champ and even though it looks like it has taken a beating, it always gives out new growth.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Yikes. That's some serious dough for a mango tree.

Jeff

• desimango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everyone, thank you for all the advice and help you have all put together here but I'm gonna give this venture a rest until I hit the lotto. I guess I'll focus on the more locally available varieties for now.

Mosuboru was correct in that the transit time involved from port of entry to inspection, and then home, is the longest portion of the journey. I realized it is faster to mail them directly to the USDA PIS station in SF instead of travelling with them. Jay was right, it's not so simple after all. I guess I was hoping the government had this procedure down to an efficient process - quite silly of me.

It's not the initial cost that is the problem since a friend at work (the entomologist) offered to split it with me, but rather the unknown number of possible inspections involved if a plant dies or develops any strange signs. This is all part of the permit rules. Each inspection was going to cost ~$160 and two are mandatory. This does not include the initial entry inspection at the USDA PIS location which would receive the trees via mail.

I'm happy to have done the research and can be thankful for the excitement this project offered even if shortlived. I appreciate the kind input from everyone.

Cheers,
    Desimango

BTW, my Mallika and Glenn are flowering nicely...woohooo.

• mango908
    11 years ago

You show just order you tree from Plant-O-Gram. They have nice India Varieties,and probably even the Guava you what. Its less expensive..

• DP
    4 years ago

Hi Desimango, did you able to bring mango plant/graft from india? If it works then i also like to bring some plants from india. please email me to axio_ddp@yahoo.com

• Radha Y
    3 years ago

Hello,

Anyone with scions for "Chinna rasalu" or Banginapalli ? Desimango, did you happen to bring mango plant from India?

Appreciate your resonse.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting