Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenleaf_organic

Best Tasting Loquat Variety?

greenleaf_organic
11 years ago

I have heard conflicting reports on what is the best tasting Loquat. Since this is subjective let me say that I prefer some tartness too, not just sweet flavor. (Where does Big Jim fit into this picture?) Does anyone have a favorite?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• gnappi
    11 years ago

Individual taste is such a great reason for us sharing thoughts like "taste". For me I generally like a sweeter fruit with minimal tartness, but then again I love Carambola which have some tartness too.

Anyway, I have a "Christmas" Loquat, I have only tasted a few cultivars and I like this one the best.

• gnappi
    11 years ago

Individual taste is such a great reason for us sharing thoughts like "taste". For me I generally like a sweeter fruit with minimal tartness, but then again I love Carambola which have some tartness too.

Anyway, I have a "Christmas" Loquat, I have only tasted a few cultivars and I like this one the best.

• greenleaf_organic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting gnappi, is it more orange flesh or yellow? Also, is it mostly sweet or also some tangy flavor? I hear the fruit is quite large on Christmas. Thinking about buying one. I have also read that the Wolfe is excellent, but cannot find one to buy.

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

I got 'Golden Nugget' and 'Champagne'. Champagne has much better taste.

• gnappi
    11 years ago

"Interesting gnappi, is it more orange flesh or yellow? Also, is it mostly sweet or also some tangy flavor? I hear the fruit is quite large on Christmas. Thinking about buying one. I have also read that the Wolfe is excellent, but cannot find one to buy."

It's dark yellow and mostly sweet. I let them ripen on the tree.The fruits on mine have been rather small, but the tree is still in a container so that's probably no indication how much larger they'll be when the tree is planted out.

• gonebananas_gw
    10 years ago

Does anyone know a good mail-order source for grafted (or air-layered) loquat selections?

I already have "Big Jim" and "Christmas."

I'd prefer not having them too large at first (not 5 gallon pots, for instance).

I'd especially like to get "McBeth."

• rockmaker
    10 years ago

In my experience in the Phoenix area the Big Jim is a little bland. Hard to beat the Gold Nugget for sweetness but to me the Champagne is the best. Have only sampled Strawberry and McBeth but they didn't seem to be as tasty as the Champagne.

• greenleaf_organic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey gone bananas, I found Clifton Nursery with Macbeth loquats, but they are the 5 gallon size.