Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Tasting Loquat Variety?

Posted by greenleaf_organic 8 San Antonio, TX (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 1:19

I have heard conflicting reports on what is the best tasting Loquat. Since this is subjective let me say that I prefer some tartness too, not just sweet flavor. (Where does Big Jim fit into this picture?) Does anyone have a favorite?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Tasting Loquat Variety?

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 7:25

Individual taste is such a great reason for us sharing thoughts like "taste". For me I generally like a sweeter fruit with minimal tartness, but then again I love Carambola which have some tartness too.

Anyway, I have a "Christmas" Loquat, I have only tasted a few cultivars and I like this one the best.

o

Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 7:30

Individual taste is such a great reason for us sharing thoughts like "taste". For me I generally like a sweeter fruit with minimal tartness, but then again I love Carambola which have some tartness too.

Anyway, I have a "Christmas" Loquat, I have only tasted a few cultivars and I like this one the best.

o

Interesting gnappi, is it more orange flesh or yellow? Also, is it mostly sweet or also some tangy flavor? I hear the fruit is quite large on Christmas. Thinking about buying one. I have also read that the Wolfe is excellent, but cannot find one to buy.

o

I got 'Golden Nugget' and 'Champagne'. Champagne has much better taste.

o

Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 22:44

"Interesting gnappi, is it more orange flesh or yellow? Also, is it mostly sweet or also some tangy flavor? I hear the fruit is quite large on Christmas. Thinking about buying one. I have also read that the Wolfe is excellent, but cannot find one to buy."

It's dark yellow and mostly sweet. I let them ripen on the tree.The fruits on mine have been rather small, but the tree is still in a container so that's probably no indication how much larger they'll be when the tree is planted out.

o

Does anyone know a good mail-order source for grafted (or air-layered) loquat selections?

I already have "Big Jim" and "Christmas."

I'd prefer not having them too large at first (not 5 gallon pots, for instance).

I'd especially like to get "McBeth."

o

In my experience in the Phoenix area the Big Jim is a little bland. Hard to beat the Gold Nugget for sweetness but to me the Champagne is the best. Have only sampled Strawberry and McBeth but they didn't seem to be as tasty as the Champagne.

o

O.K. so I have a Big Jim and not that impressed. I planted some seeds in a pot from a pretty good tasting local tree so that is a waiting game.. Based on all the feedback I also just ordered a champagne for delivery. I am really looking forward to the day when I get to taste from that tree! By the way the champagne is going into our new place. Do I need a pollinator tree and if so which one? (I have heard conflicting information on that for the champagne)
Thanks

o

Hey gone bananas, I found Clifton Nursery with Macbeth loquats, but they are the 5 gallon size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here