Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveblueroses

longan & lychee where to find in sf bay area

loveblueroses
10 years ago

does anyone know where to find and buy Longan or Lychee tree in SF bay area. can they survive and fruit in sf bay area? thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Found this old thread while doing some research...maybe you can contact one of these leads...Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lychee trees in the bay area thread...

• bananafan
    10 years ago

You can also try the Asian grocery food stores there, but go to the larger ones--they tend to carry a bigger variety of fruit and vegetables and sometimes they may surprise you with some fruit trees which often include kumquats, lychess and longans etc.

Other than that, you may also want to find out if there are any plant sale or festivals in your area. I'm sure they will carry all kinds of stuff which may include what you're looking for. All the best!

• loveblueroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thread puglvr1. I did call CRFG members in so. CA yesterday, but they don't do shipping:( well, it takes 6-7 hours to drive & pick up there, but I don't dare to drive that long distance....
    @ bananafan whereas those Asian supermarkets you mentioned about?? Well, We went & found a couple baby seeding lychee in one of nurseries in San Jose CA; but we prefer those grafted ones.

• vithun
    9 years ago

Hi loveblueroses, I don't know where you live, but around Tracy or Manteca, it would be OK for growing Lychee and Longan. All my Sweet Heart, Hak Ip, Mauritius Lychee,and Kohala Longan in the backyard this past winter were doing great.They are all flowering ,but for fruiting, I'll let you know few months later.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only time I've seen those for sale was in late summer at Seafood City market in Union City. The Lychee was in a 10gallon maybe,and $175. The Longon was around $150. But they had Sapodilla,Carrie Mango's,Curry tree. all in the $60-70. range. The grower was a San Diego wholesaler.
    And do yo know- they sold most of that big shipment?
    I know I had written a longer list of what they had last summer. Atemoya.. Somethings I had seen for the first time sold in the bay area.

My huge advice? Once they have been indoors like that..look to acclimate them for a few months in light shade back to sun.

I rushed it.. a week in shade,and I still killed a Mango when we had a 90f September day after planting it.

• vithun
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am very picky when come to buying fruit trees.I like to purchase them from reputable nursery.I went to couple nurseries in San diego but they didn't have large plants that I wanted.I found my favorite nursery,The Champa Nursery,in LA.

I understood this market in Union City got their plants from the Champa Nursery,too.The price sounds right.I got the Tebow in 15 gallon for $375 and most in 10 gallon size was $175.

I like large trees that producing fruit instantly. I have very little patience for smaller ones where I have to wait years for it to produce anything.

• tokyotech
    9 years ago

I drove all the way down to Los Angeles to Champas Nursery to buy my Kohala Longan and I brought it back to the Bay Area. My Kohala is extremely hardy. It didn't lose any of its leaves during its first winter while my other trees did (guava, cherry, pomegranate, peach, pear, grape, wax apple). No pests or diseases have affected it. It's been growing slowly - half a foot a year.

• vithun
    9 years ago

I also got a Kohala from Champa Nursery.The owner,Jimmy,is very helpful in answering all my questions. I was looking for a Biew Kiew as the beginning ,but I got the Kohala instead after Jimmy suggested that Kohala would do better for Bay Area.

Some of those trees are deciduous .What kind of wax apple do you have?I have Black Pearl and Black Diamond.I heard growing Black Pearl is a lot more challenge then Black Diamond .I'll wait and see!

• loveblueroses
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks Vithun & tokyotech & stanofh for your valuable information. my zone is 10a in SF bay, unfortunely neither my car can afford such a long distance (6-7 hours drive) and nor I have driven that far. I did try to call some of nursery in southern CA, only one was willing to do the shipping order but only certain time he would have it for shipment. As a result, I haven't got it yet. I will definitely call Seafood City market in Union City (a suburb in the San Francisco Bay Area

) to see if they would have it in stock during summer time... I did order a lychee tree from an amazon seller; it is not dying or growing either... guess I have better get one from a well-known nursery instead. thanks again