Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob13_gw

Pickering Mango Pics & Other Pics

jacob13
13 years ago

Hello Friends,

Here are some Pictures of some of the things coming out of Dormancy and beginning to flower and fruit, or just grow.

"Pickering Mango" Some of the Fruit is Hanging on and I am excited and encouraged. I would say there are about 30 fruits and they all continue to grow in Size up. Hopefully, it will hold true that the tree will only hold as many fruits as it can, and it will take care of itself.

{{gwi:1309051}}">

{{gwi:1309052}}">

{{gwi:1309053}}">

{{gwi:1309054}}">

{{gwi:1309055}}">

"Tabouey x J-30" Jakfruit Tree Sizing up Nicely:

{{gwi:1309056}}">

"Bacon" Avocado Tree in Full Bloom:

{{gwi:1309057}}">

"Mexicola Grande" Avocado Tree in Bloom. It used to have about 10x more blooms until a recent wind storm.

{{gwi:1309058}}">

{{gwi:1309059}}">

Strawberry Guava tree - Bouncing back from a Severe pugging flowering and fruiting nicely.

{{gwi:1309060}}">

"Che" or "Melon Berry" - Male and Female trees in the same Pot. I also have a Completely Self-fertile tree that is about the same size but has been out of dormancy about 1 month longer and is full of leaves and branching out like crazy.

{{gwi:1309061}}">

Here is another Pic of the "Che" Berry with New Growing Very Quickly Dragon Fruit in the Background ("Edgar Valdivia Red", "Condor", "Zamorano", "Rixford", "Cebra", "Nicaraguan Red", "Arizona Purple", "Purple Haze", "American Beauty", "Delight", "Physical Grafitti", "Viatnamese Red")

{{gwi:1309063}}">

"Green Gage" Plum tree

{{gwi:1309064}}">

"Dr. White" Cherimoya Fruit

{{gwi:1309065}}">

"Biew Kiew" Longan Tree

{{gwi:1309067}}">

"Florida Sweet" Barbados Cherry tree - Starting to Flower.

{{gwi:1309070}}">

{{gwi:1309072}}">

"Paulista" Jaboticaba

{{gwi:1309077}}">

Green Sapote

{{gwi:1309078}}">

Hope you enjoyed. More pictures to come soon.

Jacob

Comments (22)

• guajiro
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful trees! Thanks for sharing.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Beautiful as always, Jacob.
    Have you had any fruits from your Mexicola Grande in the pot?

Tim

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ahhhhh....spring time! Lookin' good! Thanks for posting.

Harry

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow...AWESOME pictures! Congrats on all your blooms and fruits...great job!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Jacob,
    Wow! Your Pickering is surely looking good! My Carrie is probobly a few weeks behind yours. My tiny fruits are almost peas sized now. I think about the same thing you have said. My tree is not holding 30 right now, nut probobly 20. One of the inflos is holding about 15 and the other 7 are holding one or 2 fruits a piece. What concerns me is that the smallest inflo is holding the most fruits, though the position is great because that inflo is the closest to the top of the pot. I think that will make it easier for that branch to be supported.

Now my only worry is picking it at the right time. I had heard so many raves about this fruit but then heard if it isn't picked at just he right time, it can have a midicine/herbal after taste. That doesn't sound very appetizing to me!

Please keep up with the pics Jacob! Have you got the last few emails I sent to you? Have you started that 'Violette de Bordeaux cutting yet?

Andrew

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Love your pictures Jacob, Could you as an addition post the ages of your plants with the names... it's very helpful to those (me) that are trying to container grow fruit as well. Good work!

:)

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Jacob,
    Nice pictures and a great collection! Your trees look great.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Love the pictures! My favorite picture is the "Paulista" Jaboticaba, very healthy looking plant.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Jacob - just love the pinkish blush on your infant pickerings.....just like on a real baby.......

MangoDaddyDog

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Jacob,
    I am very envious of your Dr. Whit cherimoya! But, wow, an impressive collection of tropical fruit trees! I just love how your pickering is setting fruit. I sure do hope you get at least a dozen or more! Also, your "Tabouey x J-30" Jakfruit is beautiful! Will you be pruning this anytime soon?

Also, I wanted to let ya know that I finally got the violette de bordeaux tree and cuttings. HOw did you get your fig cuttings to root? What kind of techniques do you use?

Again, nice collection of tropical fruit trees! It is most inspiring. ( :

-Bo

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Jacob,

What a little cover will do! Are you sure you don't live in Hawaii!LOL

JF

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

All you plants are looking very happy so far this year, it will be great to follow their progress.

-Ethan

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

Thank you all for all of your nice words. This warm weather has been a long time coming and I am so happy that Spring is starting.

Tim - Have not had any fruit on the Mexicola Grande yet, the wind has taken anything that has come close.

Andrew - As always my friend, it is good to hear from you and Thanks for the compliments. Great to hear about your Carrie, it's pretty exciting huh? Check your e-mail, you've got mail.

Tropicaliste - Thanks for the compliments and I will definitely put the age of the trees and their names. I know everything is helpful when growing in pots.

Bo - Thanks for the nice words. I don't plan on Pruning the Jakfruit anytime soon. It seems to be brancing out quite nicely on its own. I plan on planting it out in the next month or so and hope that it will take off this Summer. That is so Awesome that you got the Violette de Bordeaux fig tree. You will be so happy with the Fruit. I have actually only rooted 1 fig cutting, I got mine already rooted so I don't have a whole lot of experience rooting Fig trees. Congrats on your new Fig tree.

Mango Perro - I wish I was in Hawaii

Ethan - My California Brother, thanks for the nice words and I will keep the pictures coming.

Thanks again friends for all of the compliments and I will keep you all posted on the progress.

- Jacob

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Hey Jacob 13 - my BEAUTIFUL little pickering wants to compete!!!!!!!!!!

MangoLaughingDog

Pickering Flowering 031011 - Such beautiful shape for a little lady......

Closeup of her lacy dress.....

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Nice tree Gary! It wont be long before you have mangos.... keep us updated.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Nice Pickering MD! I'm really loving this variety...its such a prolific bloomer for such a small tree! My tree is so small yet has a ton of teeny tiny fruits...I'm so glad I have one!

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

On your mark, get set, go! the race is on, whos will ripen first!! you have Nancy, from Orlando, and Jacob, from Santa Barbara, in the lead with 30 fruitlets each and MangoGigolo, from Palm Springs, a distance third. If I was a beating man I would pick Gary he's got the heat and the dry climate...LOL

JF

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I tell ya - I wouldn't mind being the Harry Potter of Mangos - he seems to get out of every jam with some skill and always a great bit of British Luck.....

MangoHogWarts

• mangobaby
    13 years ago

Hi jacob,

Where did you get your Green Gage plum from? Did you get to try the fruit yet?

Thanks!

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

Mango Perro - HOW DARE YOU! J/K Very Very Nice little tree you got there. It looks really healthy and happy.

Joe - I just counted yesterday and there were actually 52 little Mangos that are increasing in size. I will post some pictures tonight. I also put a package in the mail for you.

Mangobaby - I got the Green Gage at a Local Nursery here in Santa Barbara CA. Doesn't it have a Nice Shape?

I will be posting more Pictures tonight.

- Jacob

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Jacob

Thanks! 52 mangos? I am going to get me a pickering and a greenhouse.LOL I'll let you know when it arrives.

JF

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All,

Sorry for lagging with the updated pictures, been really busy with work. I will make sure to post some within the next day or so.

Hey Joe - What is incredilbe, is that they all seem to be growing and look healthy.

Mangobaby - Since this is the 1st Season with the Green Gage, I have Not tried the fruit yet. I am really excited about tasting it though. From everything I have read, it is supposed to be incredible.

- Jacob