Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperseed

Mango Blossoms - What happened!!

pepperseed
13 years ago

After last year's dismal mango season, I was excited to see my mango trees covered with bloom and like many who posted year, was hopeful for a great mango harvest this year.

Unfortunately, most of my mango blossoms dried up without producing any fruit. The only trees that show any sign of fruit are Rosigold, Carrie and Florigon.

In years past my Carrie would bloom very early, then the first flush of blossoms would die from the cold and there would be a second bloom, but I can't remember if that second bloom came this late in the year.

So, is mango season a bust for me this year, or is there still hope?

Comments (10)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

There's still hope. I have several of the earlier varieties that are now reblooming. Hang in there.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Both my carrie trees have set a dismally small amount of fruit :-(. I'm hoping they send out a second bloom, but it does seem a bit late for that.

Harry, do you think the carrie will bloom again this late ??

Jeff

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Not sure if it'll be a full re-bloom, but I am seeing some new bloom on mine now....so I think there is still time for it to happen. I have seen Carrie bloom three times in succession in a season.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Ohh thanks for the good news, Harry! Even a partial rebloom would make me a happy camper.

Jeff

• guajiro
    13 years ago

My Carrie, Glenn, Gold Nugget, and Mallika mango trees (all under 2yrs old), although they've pushed a couple of vegetative flushes, they have yet to bloom as well. My guess would be that I was irrigating them :(

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

HEy Guajiro,
    Did any of these trees bloom last year? I ask because I wonder if 2 year old trees are large enough to flower, all though I have personally seen mango trees that were under a foot tall with a fruit on the tree! I was encouraged to buy that tree but I fifgured with all the stress that fruit caused, it probobly severely set that tree back.

How large are your trees? Maybe I should have asked that first. The thing is, even if they were decent sized, I wonder if they had bloomed if they would have really held on to any fruit or not.

Andrew

• pepperseed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that ray of hope, Harry. I have had my Carrie for years but a lot of my mango tree are recent acquisitions and I was hoping to sample fruit from them for the first time this year. Even one single mango from each cultivar would make me happy. Well, maybe two. One for me and one for that rotten squirrel that keeps stealing my fruit.

• guajiro
    13 years ago

Andrew,
    I planted my first mango (15gal Carrie) July of 2010, but it went through a bit of shock and it didn't recover 'til the late fall. Therefore I don't really know if any of the other mangos I have actually did bloom in 2010. I'm pretty sure they didn't bloom this year due to being irrigated after the summer.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I'm noticing the same thing with my Potted Glenn...the blooms are drying up and turning brown at an alarming rate. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get any fruits at all? I know that I only get one chance this year...its way too late for my tree to rebloom...so its do or die for these blooms.

Keeping fingers crossed some make it through. Good luck to all of us!

• adiel
    13 years ago

My old Glenn tree has not bloomed this year neither. I did prune it but that was last year in September. Let's see what happens...

Adiel