Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zands_gw

Mangoes and Agave tour in Florida's 33321

zands
13 years ago

7 gallon via Zill's/

My Pim Saen Mun mango just planted...but look at the agave putting forth a bloom spike, blooming in the background

after 12 years. It blooms then dies. Agaves are commonly called cactuses but they

are not. Tequila is made from them. I'm glad it is finally blooming. After it blooms and dies I will remove it and have more yard space..... Via underground runners it puts forth more baby agaves visible in the photo

Better photo showing the agave bloom spike which will get at least 12 ft high with flowering on top. This agave is 5' high 5' wide

My PSM and agave with my Carrie mango on the right. Yard is looking dry. Have to plant new grass when it starts raining.

My thrilla from Manila aka 15 gallon Zills Philippine

mango recently planted....hope it turns out as good as MangoDog's LaVerne Manila

mango. They are kissing cousins at least that's what Dog told me and I'm sticking to that story...at least until next week.

Gold nugget mango also called golden nugget. Small. Bought at Home Depot

because of the lucky name

Keitt last year the victim of mango thieves but this won't

happen again! When it gets to be a bigger tree then I don't mind some thievery...it's

a compliment.

Papaya are 20 ft high.

My Haden produced little last year.... This year producing on top branches

only which is good because it is near a road and you get drive by mango pickers

looking for low hanging fruit

What follows are mango trees in zip code 33321. Not my trees

Below- my favorite tree going by its wide low looks...produced nothing

last year but doing great this year..... I must leave a note asking what variety it is

I will post more photos of this one as the fruits get larger this year

Below---Another neighborhood tree

Below---Another neighborhood tree..... look at right arm...looks like the

2005 hurricane mangled this old warhorse but still producing which is what

counts

Comments (8)

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow Zands, love the yard and congrats on the agave blooms. They are so amazing when they bloom, huge flower spikes reaching for the sky then getting covered in blooms and bees. Cacti and succulents were my first love.

Mangoes are looking great too, what a nice neighborhood to live in.

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• socalmango
    13 years ago

Very nice zands. All of them look good and healthy. I've never tasted a Golden Nugget. How would you describe the flavor?

I'm impressed by your papayas. What variety are they and how long have you had them? My success in growing papaya in SoCal has been mixed since they tend to topple over during our winters.

Agave is a bit more popular out here in more ways than one, and yes that bloom will defiantly impressed with its stature. I've had the pleasure of visiting the Tequila region of Jalisco, Mex., and have come away very impressed with the varieties, and taste qualities of some of the ultra premium Tequilas. These are not tequilas that you water down, but drink from a snifter just like a good brandy.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

The wide/low tree has the characteristic stance and curly leaves of a Julie.

Jeff

• guajiro
    13 years ago

Great pictures zands. Thanks for sharing!
    I also have a Gold Nugget mango and I can't wait to try it.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Zanzibar Dude - your papaya are awesome, and as SoCalMango says, we don't have the greatest luck with them here in So Cal. I've got 3 Mexican Papayas that survived the winter, about 3-4 feet tall, that are pushing tons of new growth, so am Mr. Opto on getting some fruit by fall...but I've probably lost close to a dozen over the last 3 years - found out they hate being wet when it is cold....

And I see ya got the Thrilla mango - cool man - hope it does as well as mine - going hog wild at the moment with blooms!

And the Gold Nugget - let us know how that puppy tastes when you get one in your mouth.....

thanks for the pics.......mangosheepdog

• zands
    Original Author
    13 years ago

socalmango --
    my papaya spent too much resources getting so high and did not fruit well for a while. They are from backyard papaya seeds I got so they are a mystery variety. They are two years old so are probably no good in a year or two. On agaves-- Sammy Hagar made 80 million selling his Cabo Wabo brand of tequila. There is big money in it

guajiro--
    This is first year I get some Gold Nugget mango fruit. Have never tasted it before. Like you I look forward to it with its orange (not yellow) flesh going by the photos.

red_sea_me ----
    Cacti and succulents do well in Florida. You see a lot of them here. My theory is they like the dry season we have which can be 4-6 months with little rain

mangoDog---
    Looks like you are better off with short not so tall papayas in California. Less vulnerable to the cold. Not to worry because I rank mangoes as 10x better than papayas. Mangoes are juicy and sweet.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Zand

Beautiful place you got there. I love your agave and it looks like you are going to have a bumper crop in the mango department, congrats!

JF

• pj1881
    13 years ago

Once the rain starts, your lawn will look great! Nice yard, be sure to ferment that Agave when you get rid of it!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH