Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodoc

Help on Dwaf Trees.

MangoDoc
13 years ago

I'm trying to grow a small row of dwaf trees to be able to cover during cold spells during the winter here in west cocoa.

I like Kent,Glenn,Kiett,Springsfel,Edward,Dot mangos. But have never had a Cogshall,Pickering,Angie,Julie,Langra Benarsi,Rosigold, or a Mallika.

Can anyone please tell me what some of these varities taste like compared to the ones first listed above. I already have the trees but don't what to spend the time growing something I might not like.

Is a fairchild mango spicy? Some people tell me no and others tell me Yes.I don't like a spicy mango,I like a fruity sweet mango. And how about a Lancetilla, how do they taste?

Thanks, for the help. Joe.

Comments (6)

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Joe,

Are you only looking for dwarf trees of mangoes? Otherwise, I may have suggestions for you.

Tomas

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tomas. I have the trees, but before I plant them I want to be sure they are what I want as far as taste. I've been growing mango trees for years and just haven't had these new variety.
    Like for a sample, Osteen mango= very popular mango up here on Merrit Island with the customers. I don't like the spicy flavor of the mango. I rather have a kent or cushman then the osteen. I guess each to his own?
    I'm just trying to find out from someone who has had one of the variety what the flavor is like.
    I've have found lately that the discretionary account of some variety from some of the nurseries just don't match the final outcome. I think instead it is driving for sells.
    Thanks for the help and look forward too your reply, Joe.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Joe:
    I have all the mangoes you mentioned and have tasted them all with the exception of Angie and Langra Benarsi, which were just planted out recently. I will have Angie this year but no fruit on Langra Benarsi until next season, at the earliest. All of the mangoes are excellent that you are inquiring about. I would think that based on your stated preferences, you should like Cogshall, Pickering and Rosiegold. The others have somewhat more twang to them. It is really hard to analyze your taste preferences based just upon the wording of your stated taste preference. I would strongly urge you to try them yourself first. You are more that welcome to stop by my house when these frutis are maturing and I'd be happy to let you try them.

Harry

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry for your input. What does the rosigold taste like? And when you say (Twang) do you mean Tart?
    Also where do you live? Are you here in Brevard?
    Hope to talk soon, Joe. 321-749-8195.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

you are way too honest to be posting your number on any forum my friend :)

Tim

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, thanks for all the help with these new varieties. It was a big help!!!

esco socal, Yes i'm honest, and my phone number has been out for years from the different seminars I give at the local nursery about fruit trees and Blue berries. God bless, Joe.