Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Squirrels in Thailand

ohiojay
13 years ago

The following pics show the amount of time and effort required when one is a good Buddhist. The folks don't want to kill the squirrels so they must resort to the following to protect their maprangs...else not a single one would reach maturity. Me? I'd kill the f'ers! I would sit outside plinking those tree rats with a pellet gun. As a backup measure, I'd have poison in the trees as well. Maybe a few heads on pikes in the yard or hanging from branches would give warning to other squirrels??? Look at it from another positive light...this would attract flies and help increase pollination!!!!

Comments (19)

• quebolausa
    13 years ago

"Me? I'd kill the f'ers!"

hahahahaha, thanks i needed a laugh. ;)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Lol it is kinda neat of an idea. Thought a bag worked but the bottles idea is actually wonderful. In the PH they have to cover the mangoes(i'm not sure of how) they export to Japan but I think that's because of the obsession with "perfect" fruit... is this the same with the Maprangs aside from poaching squirrels?

:)

• zands
    13 years ago

You have the right idea. Rotting squirrel carcasses= more pollination= more maprangs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monkey raiding a mango tree

• pj1881
    13 years ago

Its not very Buddhist to let them see the fruit that they cannot obtain!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow...that's pretty cool...but a LOT of work! I hate squirrels and raccoons and whatever else out there that destroys my hard work! They attacked half my mango fruits last year from my one and only tree that survived the freeze and fruited. Boy, was I furious!

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All the work is only because of the tree rats. The bags never slowed them down. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before one of the enterprising little ba$tards figure out that they can chew thru the containers...then they are screwed.

Pug...I feel your pain. It is too much hard work, hard-earned money, and precious time eaten away.

I wonder what Gerry has planned for his squirrel season this year??

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Could you just cut into the bottles so that the tops have sharp teeth(serrated)... I cut some old soda bottles that way to wrap around small seedlings and I didn't have the squirrel problem again... maybe you could slick the bottles with gun oil too or something. Maybe they rather go pillage a group of trees somewhere else.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Someone recommended me this product on the idigmygarden forums. http://www.critter-repellent.com/squirrel/squirrel-control.php, I have never tried it but they claimed it worked against squirrels.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

clever little monks. I bet this method would work great for softer Anonas that ripen, fall and go splat on the floor the second you turn your shoulder and take your eye off them.

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not a bad idea MK. That's happened in the greenhouse more than a few times.

Trop...only if the gun oil was laced with poison!

Null...I doubt very much if a product such as this would work over there. The trees in the neighborhood are so densely packed, a squirrel could travel miles without ever having to get near the ground. Lots of dogs around too and the squirrels are not the least concerned.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

gerry placed an order, which arrived a few days ago, for a giant tub of rat poison. worked very well on the squirrels. unfortunately last year, i only thought of it half way through the season, by which time the squirrels had already eaten plenty of fruit. this year, im all ready. starting once the fruit are a few inches big, i will be putting a few bars of rat poison out every couple of days throughout the fruiting season. last year, i found 3 dead poisoned squirrels in my yard which i buried next to my cherry tree. maybe a coincidence but the cherry tree this year is loaded with blossom buds.

i can honestly say that there were few sights as infuriating as looking outta my window and seeing a couple of squirrels sitting in top of my garage snacking away on my peaches and nectarines. when they would see me looking at them, they often stuck a finger up at me,

• mangodog
    13 years ago

VERY funny thread.......... I think I mentioned to some of you, tree squirrls can't (or don't) live in the desert here, so it is one HUGE scourge I'll never have to worry about.

We do have ground squirrels, kind of like mole rats that live in the ground near washes and empty lots and such, but they are very skiddish and seem to not want to spread into normal neighborhoods. And tree rats (the ones I need to keep an eye on) that have probably never eaten mango, but I'm sure could easily expand from just sweet citrus to mangos......I got the BB gun cleaned and oiled and a have-a heart trap - so far so good.....

mangoHOTdog (hittng mid-90's by thursday)

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gerry...you might think of "buttering" up some dried ears of corn with the poison and hanging them from the trees. No sense making it difficult for them!

• sleep
    13 years ago

squirrels, SqUiRrElS SQUIRRELS !!

Some of last years Squirrel damage ..

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Lol they leave enough just as an "f u" to the grower... man they're pesky...

Knew a lady that said she would pour gas down her gopher holes because they would devour her vegetables.

Apparently critters don't like glare so a recommendation is to hand a string of old cds up, but then again they would just go on a forecast.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

jay- i found i didnt need to do anything- the poison comes in little bricks- would just break the brick up into 3 or 4 pieces and leave it on the ground- they would come and eat it. i have to say, after leaving the poison out for a few days, i went out and heard what sounded like a squirrel sqwuaking in distress. now generally, im against inflicting pain on animals, but i have to say, after having watched the squirrels steal all my fruit for several years, listening to a squirrel sqwaking in distress was one of the sweetest sounds i ever heard.

• zands
    13 years ago

Either you waste the squirrels or the squirrels waste your mangoes

• mangodog
    13 years ago

... the cruel truth, sage Zands......

MangoNIPPER

• HU-823677739
    4 years ago

We have them continuously passing along our electricity cables running along the back of our property. I would tolerate them except that they are taking the young from bird's nests in our garden. I would like to trap them and release them a long way from here.....

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company