Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Moving Carambolas

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

I bought some Carambolas several years ago, they were a named variety but can't remember which one now. The name was a letter of the alphabet and a number. I'd built up a garden bed with what I thought should have been good soil. Turns out it was the exact opposite. Always planned to move the trees to a better location but meantime they hardly grew and often died back a bit, never getting taller than about waist height. It's actually quite surprising that they survived at all.

Eventually I made up some good garden beds and with the rain we've been having decided it was time for the move. But only for 2 of the trees, the 3rd would have to wait. So late yesterday afternoon after a lot of rain and while it was still spitting I dug 2 of them out. The "soil" was very gravelly and didn't hold together too well. Also, couldn't dig down too far so some of the tap root was damaged.

They were wheelbarrowed around to their new home and FINALLY into good soil. It was overcast so no sun before evening and still a bit wet overnight. Today there was rain again before the sun got around to the transplanted trees giving them more time to settle in.

One of them in the new good soil.

Comments (9)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the other one. They've been so tough all these years in very bad conditions I'm hoping they'll appreciate the move, as rough as it was, and make up for lost time.

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    11 years ago

Hi tropicbreezent, i think one of your carambolas could be a b-10 or b-17, b-2. I think those are the only carambolas i know that have one letter and a name.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks HawaiiFruitGrower, B-10 rings a bell. They've had a day and a half of cloudy, damp conditions to settle in. Today the sun is out full strength. They're in morning shade, maybe it'll get cloudier by the time the sun comes around, can always hope.

Now I've got a Macadamia to move. And a Breadfruit to lop. There's no end to it, LOL.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They've had about 2 weeks now to settle in. No signs they're withering which is good. I think they've survived the transplant. Be good to see them start putting on new growth.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's been over a month and no sign that the carambolas couldn't cope with the transplant. Haven't put on any new growth but we're not far off winter so maybe they'll just bide their time. I still might try a little fertiliser as the roots will probably have settled in and not be affected by a bit of diluted nutrient.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A couple of weeks more and the carambolas are coming along really well. They've put on a lot of new leaves. Looks like they appreciated the change. They might keep growing right through the season. So next year maybe large trees and fruit.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The transplanted Carambolas have done really well and have put on a lot of growth. Although, they're spreading outwards more than they are up. But they flowering now so should find out how good the fruit is before long.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Interesting you'd have trouble with carombola . For me it's by far the easiest to grow and manage I lucked out on the variety being very sweet,large fruit. Only complaint is that it's a "Dwarf" and it's grown to 25x25 feet with two top removals lol Second is that it fruits by the bushel . You can only eat so many Have made pies ,sauces , purees and my neighbors hide as they know I'm going to offer some fruit lol Wish my citrus would be as productive !! Good luck with yours looks like your on the right path . gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, the trouble was the soil. I had some, self sown, in the previous place I was in and they grew large. The fruit was pretty tasteless. When I bought this place thought it might be worth trying a named variety. Unfortunately, to make the garden bed I dug soil out of the edge of a swamp, thought it would be good once dried and composted. By the time all the organic matter decayed there was only lateritic gravel left, the carambolas didn't like it. But one year (almost) in the new garden and they've really rocketed along, except for the one that's not been moved yet. If they don't taste all that good it doesn't matter. Just more fruit for the flying foxes, birds and other animals to feed on.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals