Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Sources for Achachairu

simon_grow
13 years ago

Hello everyone, thanks to jsvand5 I'm out to get yet another fruit tree. I can easily do a search for Achachairu plants but I figure you guys/gals might know of somewhere that has better specimens and that will ship to California. If you have an Achachairu, please post pics and give any info or advice. Thanks in advance!

Simon

Comments (13)

• nullzero
    13 years ago

I want one now too lol... maybe I will grow this one out from seeds (if I can find any).

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Here is a source I just recently found

http://www.montosogardens.com/tropical_fruit_trees.htm

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi,

I got some of my Achachairu seed from www.montosogardens.com and another batch from www.viveroanones.com (under the name bacuripari - Rheedia laterifolia).

Tomas

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Thank you for the heads-up on the seed sources, Boson I could never find the site for VA.

:)

• boson
    13 years ago

Forgot to mention that if you are interested I can always mail you a few Achachairu plants. That would save you about 3 years.

Tomas
    Florida

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

These are slow growing plants also, so having patience is a must!

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Tomas, are you able to ship to San Diego? I also read in a thread of yours that there is a larger Mexican Garcinia that is about 4 times larger than Achachairu and may possibly taste better. Do you have that variety growing as well?

Simon

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Simon,

Sure I can ship to San Diego. And yes, I have the Mexican Garcinia too, but just a few. Send me an email, and we can arrange something.

Tomas

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Simon,

I believe you asked about information about Achachairu. Here is information about Achachairu, from the excellent book "BRAZILIAN FRUITS AND CULTIVATED EXOTICS" by Harri Lorenzi:

The Rheedia laterifolia (achachairu) is an exotic fruit bearer, recently introduced in the state of Sao Paulo, where it has adapted itself very well, it is originally from the mid altitude forests of Bolivia, where it occurs in its native state and also semi-cultivated. It is an evergreen tree, that exudes a yellow later, it is 10-14 m in height. Leaves simple, coriaceous, glabrous and lustrouson the superior surface, from 10-18 cm in length. Flowers are solitary or grouped on axillary fascicles, male and androgynous, they form mainly during the months of July to September. Fruits are drupes, with a thick skin, they ripen in December-January, they contain 1-2 seeds covered in a compact pulp, with a sweet flavor lightly acidic and very flavorful. The fruits are consumed in their natural state and are greatly appreciated. This is a fruit with great potential for commercial cultivation, because of its durability and tolerance to handling and shipping.

Tomas

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi,

For everyone interested in growing the Mexican Garcinia, now is the chance. The guy in Mexico is right now offering seeds. Just click on the link below. Go to the database and click "SEARCH" button. It's listed as "Garcinia sp mexicana"

Tomas

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Fruit List database

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I sent him an email.

• newgen
    12 years ago

boson: how long will it take for a Garcinia to produce fruits? I notice a lot of montosogarden's plants for sale are from seedlings.

Thanks,

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi,

It varies. Some Garcinia species are slow and some are fast. I think the fastest fruting Garcinia is the dwarf variety of Garcinia brasiliensis that I grow. It's supposed to fruit in only 2 years (from seedlings). I think Achachairu will fruit in about 6 years (from seedling). Garcinia acuminata is relatively fast too to first fruiting - about 3 years. All according to my seed sources, because none of mine are fruiting yet.

Tomas

Tomas

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida