Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Oro Negro Avocado

swrancher
14 years ago

I'm very excited, just picked up a new variety of Avocado tree from Pine Island nursery called "Oro Negro." The avocados are sized and shaped like a Monroe, but have Black skins and are supposed to taste very buttery with a Mexican avocado taste. Another great thing is its a very late variety October-January so it won't overlap with my Russell Avocado tree. Hopefully I'll be able to post a review of it in a year or two.

Also recently planted some Doreen and Southern Home Muscadaine grape vines in my yard.

Comments (11)

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Super- Good luck! That sounds like a nice addition and a long avocado season for you in a few years!
    Keep us posted.

• guajiro
    13 years ago

Hi swrancher,
    I noticed that you're probably the only one that has posted or owns a Oro Negro avocado. Would you happen to have a pic of your tree?
    Pine Island nursery recommended it as THE ONE avocado tree to plant since I don't have room for a second.
    Has anyone else had a chance to try it?
    Thanks

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not gotten any fruit yet but can tell you its a real nice looking tree for a avocado, very dark rich green leaves and seems to be growing pretty straight. I bought the tree last spring as a one gallon sized grafted tree less then a foot high tall with just a few leaves. A year later its now almost five feet high and very healthy. I'm hoping next year I should start getting avocados.

• sleep
    13 years ago

I purchased and planted a 3 gallon Oro Negro from Pine Island about 2 months ago. I agree that it is a very nice looking and vigorous tree. At the rate it is growing, I expect a few fruit next season.

photo today

• shelley_h_gardener
    13 years ago

Do you know what the cold tolerance is? Also, is it self-fertile.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thought everyone might get a kick out of seeing what my Oro Negro has done growth-wise since being planted last spring.

One gallon size newly grafted (still had the rubber band) Oro Negro tree. Picture taken and tree planted May, 2010.

Great growth over the first summer. This picture taken 09/2010.

The tree is now over 5 feet tall and hopefully may produce next season. This picture was taken today, 04/15/11.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Yikes! That thing went bezerk!

Jeff

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice pic. That is a great example of why buying large trees from the nursery is usually a waste of money.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

Wow, both of your trees are absolutely Gorgeous. Whatever the 2 of you are doing, keep doing it because it is working. So healthy and happy looking. Good Job and Good Luck.

- Jacob

• weiss61399
    2 years ago

I have an Oro Negro grafted tree in the ground since around 2015 and this is the first year I have fruit on it ….10-12 its Nov 11 2021 and they are 1/2 turned black the tree is very healthy and a photo is useless as I keep my mango and avocado trees sized to their space it may have taken all those years to produce from pushing the tree to grow by fertilization also my oruning may have prolonged the start of production

yhe fruit is a 10 and worth any wait i bought a few fruit from Pine Island Nursery in Homestead and loved them then bought the tree i have 13 fantastic avocado varieties ON is in the top 5

not in any order Haas Carmen, Catalina, Monroe, Nishikaw, Miquel all of them took many years to fruit but well worth the wait

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals