Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

Indian Jujube

ch3rri
14 years ago

Anyone here ordered an Indian jujube and have fruits? I'm wondering if this fruit from Florida is sweet or not. I ordered a tree from Top and I know the Indian jujube I ate in Vietnam and China were sweet and oblong shape. The one they're selling in FL is round. I'm wondering if PI Indian jujube the same as the one from Top. Somehow the picture of the jujube from PI is oblong but the Top jujube is round. Both are thornless. Mike from Top say it's a sweet fruit...but i bought the round one from the supermarket and they were bland. Maybe the one from the markert was picked too soon?

Comments (16)

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a video of the fruit. So crisp...but I think he might be lying about the sweetness of the fruit...lol.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7904867141214968661&ei=X72fS6_hOoTkqgKB6rDoDA&q=+jujube+from+florida&hl=en&view=3#

Here is a link that might be useful: jujube video

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Ch3rri,
    All the ones I have eaten in FL have been sweet. This year I got a few hundred fruit from my tree. From what i've seen in FL, all the indian jujube trees that are sold are generally the same tree with oblong fruit. Usually the round from are from thorny seedlings. Since the top website advertises it as the thornless I am sure they are selling the correct one.

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

My hometown has a major jujube production back in China. The oblong ones taste so much more superior than the round ones. It's not just sweet, it's juicy as well, the flavor is delicate, not just sweetness. The round one tends to be bland and dry.
    Ch3rri, I think you should try to locate the Chinese Jujube, there are lots of compact varieties those days. Trees within 6 feet high and round, very fruitful. Can also be planted in the ground, but in your zone, you should be able to plant them outside in a sunny spot. The key for jujube is the summer warmth. The hotter, the better, but they also need the cold spell.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Murahilin- Any pictures of your tree?

Yellowthumb- I like the Chinese jujube too but the sweet Indian Jujube is way better. I am getting a jujube tree from Bass Saaman next week. I can plant the Chinese jujube in the ground and this Indian Jujube in a pot. Cross my fingers and hope it's the sweet variety.

• pad1
    14 years ago

Ch3rri,

I have several Chinese jujube but I too am looking for an Indian one. I looked at Top Trop, but where does it say it is an Indian jujube? They list the scientfic names for both the Chinese and Indian ones.

PI lists the scientific name for the Chinese one. Granted, all nurseries may not be too careful with scientific names, but I would like to be sure.

Stoke Trops does carry an indian jujube but they told me it is a seedling, not grafted.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

ch3rri,
    I will post a pic of the tree as soon as I find one. I actually cut down the tree about 3 weeks ago because it was getting way too big for the place I had it. It is a very fast growing tree.

Pad1,
    PI has the wrong scientific name. They sell the Indian jujube mislabled as the chinese.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone. I got my new Indian jujube today. Here are the pictures. Is this suppose to be thornless? I saw some thorn on the branches. I also got my replacement gefner atemoya. But I'm very dissapointed with the roots. There are just a few roots on that tree.:(

Here is a link that might be useful: New Indian Jujube

• murahilin
    14 years ago

They have a few thorns on the branches but nothing compared to the thorny ones. Your tree looks very unhealthy. I am surprised someone would sell such a tree. Luckily the Indian jujube is hardy and it should rebound.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Kristy:

The tree is definitely in need of some TLC. I am sure with the upcoming warm weather and your touch, you'll have that plant thriving before long. Good luck with it.

Harry

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The leaves are light because they are new leaves??? Some of the older leaves are darker green. I'm ok with the jujube...but the atemoya is a whip. Barely any roots on the atemoya...and no branches:(

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Kristi,
    Did you try emailing Mike? I would snap a picture and email it to him. He has been pretty fair with me. That is what i would do. I mean first time they sent you the wrong one, and now one that has a poor root system. I am sure he would be dissapointed with the person who sent those trees out. I doubt Top would do it on purpose.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sent him an email today about the atemoya. I also included the picture. Not sure why this tree have such poor root system. All the other trees I got from him were pretty good. I'm thinking they don't have much atemoya trees available. They were out of the gefner atemoya for a while. Also, they don't have Priestly listed anymore. I doubt he will do anything since the tree is alive when they sent it.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

i bought three mangos from top. Okrung Tong (RIP) Tong Dam and Zebda.

neither of them have grown new flushes and are showing there signature brown color from their water, many nurseries have that because they pump their water. i never witnessed this from PI, another major source of my trees.
    my okrung tong was smaller and the winter killed it

i hope this spring wakes them up

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys,

I am not so happy. So I contacted Mike from Top to ask him if there is anything wrong with my jujube leaves being yellow and not green. I also told him about the atemoya with poor root system. He then told me he will refund for the atemoya when I contacted him last week. Then after that he didn't email me again. So earlier today I emailed him again and told him the jujube leaves are still yellow and if it's iron deficiency and if there is anyway for me to help the tree so it can grow healthy. All the leaves are still droopy with some leaves dried up and crispy. Also, after checking most of the branches are broken.

His reply was for me to send all the trees back. He'll pay for shipping and all I have to do is pack the trees and send them back. He say the jujube leaves are like that because of winter damage. I am not happy how he just ask me to send the trees back and then refund my money. All I'm asking is how can I save the tree. It's a pain to send the trees back! So I asked him to give the jujube another few weeks to see if it will get better.

I told him since I paid $69.95 for the atemoya before and now that his atemoya is $49.95 then he only need to refund me the difference.

I'm just not happy now.:( It's really a waste of money to send the trees back and fort. I was thinking if he refund some of the money for the atemoya then I will probably use that money to buy another tree from him. But it seems like this is the end of me and Top? I just received an email for the refund of my jujube. I didn't contacted him to ask for a refund for the jujube....I was asking for help.:(

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Was it you that they sent the wrong variety of atemoya to last year as well? I have ordered from them in the past and the trees were always nice enough trees I guess, but for me Pine is always the first choice. With them at least you can be confident that you are getting a healthy tree and it will be the type of tree that you ordered. I ordered my peach trees from top and after reading about your atemoya labeling issue from last year I don't know if I will ever be 100% confident that I have the right varieties.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes, it was me who got the wrong atemoya. But he replaced me with a gefner but a small rooted one. The tree is about 3ft tall but very skinny with couple of roots. I'm not happy because I did paid a lot like $69.95 for the first lisa atemoya. The fruit is not even that sweet. And because I didn't know I got a lisa I went and ordered one from PI. Now now I have 2 lisa. This gefner atemoya is just a small one so I will have to wait a few years for fruit.

I'm also not happy because the jujube is not doing well. The leaves are still light greenish yellow and droopy. The thing I'm most not happy about is the broken branches. Pretty much all the branches were broken because they tied them too tight to the stake for shipping. They literally bent the branches too hard and then break them.

I was always satisfy with their trees before because of their sizes. But then again because they did not remove the seedling of the makok sapodilla which, causes the grafted part to grow slower than the seedling. Lucky I discover that last year and removed the seedling branches.

I really don't want to complain about Top because he did tried to make it right.