Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice needed on planting guanabana tree

Posted by geosulcata (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 13:25

We live in SW FL. I have a nice guanabana tree that is about 5' tall, currently in a pot. Any advice on where to plant it? We thought about planting it between our house (south side) and pool - or there are two buildings that we could plant it between. It seems that the ones that fruit well are planted beside walls/fences in FL. Any advice on how much sun it needs or any soil amending that should be done when planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice needed on planting guanabana tree

Hi.They will do great in bright shade and can be successfully fruited in large pots as I do in the Tampa area. Your greatest concern is to never let the air temperature fall into the forties F. This will cause defoliation and weaken the tree. If it happens twice you can lose your tree.

o

I had one producing that was about 9 ft tall about 5 years ago. It was doing great until one night the temps droped to about 34. It killed it.
I now have one I just put in the ground. Its about the same size. The trunk is about 2" thick. It should produce this year.
We haven't had to many temps below 45 in years in my location of the the Cape. But just to be on the safe side, next winter I'm building some protection with a heater and a humidifier.
I'm doing the same for my 3 breadfruit trees. They also should bear this summer.
Good luck!
Kevin

o

do you need to bring the soursop trees inside during the winter? or cover it? or can you just leave it planted on the ground?

o

I have 2 of them that I brought inside. The one I put in the ground recently, it completely lot all of it leaves. I assume because of the dry heat inside.
About 1 week after it was on my pool deck and getting full sun it was totally recovered. The flush of new growth has been amazing.
Since then, when I bring in my tropicals, I use a humidifier that also heats the water. That seems to help.
It's been in the ground now for a month and doing very well.
I'm safe until next winter. Lol

o

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: SW FL Fruit Growers Group

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here