Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 3/23/11

hmhausman
13 years ago

I took a few shots of some goings on in the yard. Starting with my Alano Sapodilla:

Surinam Cherry "Zill Black"

Tiger's Eye Longan

Kau Dwarf Mango

Black Gold x Tabouey Jakfruit

Kent Mango

Hak Ip Lychee

Nam Doc Mai mango #2

Sweetheart Lychee

Van Dyke mango

Large June Plum

Carrie mango

Irwin mango

Rhett Tong mango

Spirit of 76 mango

Maha Chanook mango #2

Pickering mango

Nam Doc Mai mango #1

Tebow mango

Angie mango....sorry for blur....wrong camera setting

Jean Ellen mango, again blurred

New purchase from Pine Island.....Pink Ohia lychee and two dragon fruits.....Natural Mystic and Voodoo Child to the right

New purchase from Pine Island.....Groff Lychee and again the same dragon fruits

Blueberries I bought in Home Depot about a month or so ago. They were beginning to bloom when I bought them and have set lots of fruit. If anyone can tell what cultivar they may be I would love to know.

Vanilla going into bloom

Hasya sapodilla....which I have some available for sale/trade/shipping. If anyone is interested, contact me by e-mail.

All for now.

Comments (62)

• jfernandez
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Harry

Holly guacamango! What do you do with so many mangos? You have more mango trees than all of California combine. Are you sure you're not Fairchild's senior curator?

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Harry, Most of the blueberries I see at HD are usually Sharp, Misty or Sunshine (yours doesn't look like sunshine) . I have seen a few Jewel and Emerald (my favorite) as well. I don't know if there is any way to tell which you have if the label fell off. Maybe someone with more experience could tell. Hopefully they are 2 different types because I am pretty sure they are not self fertile. I have a raised bed of about 12 plants that are just loaded with berries right now.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Geesh Harry,

Unbelievable like always. So does it look like your 'Sweetheart' Lychee is holding on to any fruit this year? As for the Sapodillas, you have got to have some of the Biggest trees in the U.S. I would love to take some of them off of your hands. Amazing specimens my Friend.

Thanks for sharing, we all love to see your "2nd to None" collection.

Jacob

• mango-maniatico
    13 years ago

Paradise on earth.Just sick.Amazing Harry.Thanks for sharing

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

OMG Harry!! I'm drooling all over the keyboard,lol...Wow!! There's really not the right words to say about all those pictures! Fantastic...all those mangoes! Thanks so much for posting them!

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Ditto puglvr1.. whaddaya do with that immense amount of fruit... like the poster above mentioned, you should set up a stand at the farmer's market and then buy more trees of course... lol

:)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

OH god - as someone said this is "sick"!!!!!

LOL

expecially loved the Rotweiler Mangos - I bet they have a little bite to them :)

Time for Tropical Fruit Gardener magazine to do a full issue spread on your acres.....

Does everyone's stomach kind of turn a bit and you wince a little when you see his stuff.....lololololol........

Harry - you're going to need some serious help when you get to a certain....um....."ripe" old age.....when it comes
    to harvest time......you got my email address (wink wink)......

OldMangoSlobberer

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

I want that yard. :)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Boy, do I want to be your neighbor:) Man Harry, that is a lot of fruit trees you have there. Looks like your Tebow Mango may hold some fruit this year, perhaps we can finally have someone from this forum actually taste one of these fruit. You are the perfect person to give a taste evaluation on the Tebow since you have tasted and are growing both Kent and Edward. Harry, you are one lucky man!
    Simon

• invar69
    13 years ago

Harry, your backyard is so awesome. I'd like to know how the Tebow/Young mangoes taste too, when they ripen. Hey, have you ever heard of a variety called Val Carrie (Valencia Pride x Carrie)?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Invar - just saw those listed on the Top T email I got today - it's GOT to be a brand new variety...and looks like an excellent combination, too.....

I'm losing track of them all....mind going a bit fruity.....

mangowoofwoof

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Val carrie has been around for a while. I considered getting a tree a couple years ago but read some mixed reviews on it so I passed.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

hmmmmmm....jsvand......thanks.....

I think i also am drawn to it because it sounds like that movie with Tom Cruise in it (Valkerie!)

mangowoofielol

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I have tried Val Carrie and did not care for it. I much prefer Carrie and even Valencia Pride which I find also to be good but not rising to excellent.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Harry, if the UPC is still on the blueberries see if there is a name, the ones in my Home Depot look the same and said "windsor" above the bar code.

grow them in containers in an acidic mix of barkfines, peatmoss, and perlite

this guy seems to know much about growing blueberries

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TzYSn3_s8

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Invar69: I have actually not tried Valcarrie. I came across and very large tree potted in what was probably a 25 gallon pot and almost bought it. I too have heard mixed reviews about it with almost no one saying anything superlative about it. Therefore, it did not meet my criteria for purchase.

@John and Jeff: Irwin is a productive tree and a very nice mango. This year seems to be its heaviest crop yet.....at least so far. Definitely worth growing in my opinion.

@Cath41: That vanilla vine is probably about 20 years old. It has died back many times and has been cut up to give friends cuttings. It has only bloomed once before and no blooms set seed (the vanilla beans). I am going to try to hand pollinate this year if I can catch the blooms at the right time.

Nullzero: Some people are crazy for the tast of sapodilla. I think they have a nice flavor but they are not in the league of mangoes, IMHO. You should definitely try some to see where your preferences lie. I am going to do some shipping on Monday so contact me by e-mail (if you haven't already) and I'll get some off to you. I am getting $4 per pound plus shipping.

@Socal mango: You got it....basically I bought my home in 1989 and really started off slowly with fruit tree planting (I was much more into orchids at the time). I planted out some citrus and mangoes and then in about 1994 the fruit tree hobby totally took over. Re: the Ross Sapote, I am growing it and it is very worthwhile. I like it very much. Much more than canistel.

@Gary: I am anticipating my first edible mangoes in late April....no later than by early may.

@TropicalGrower89: Those spots on the mangoes are caused by anthracnose. Here in Florida, you can't avoid some of that...especially on highly susceptable cultivars such as Haden.

@Jacob: Looks like I will get some fruit this year on Sweetheart. Probably the best crop yet. However, it isn't going to carry as much fruit as the other lycheee cultivars. Stay tuned for further reports.

@Bryan: Thanks I'll check on the tag to see.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Harry, your canistel is loaded! You need to start eating those things. They're actually quite good. Here's how to eat them: After you pick them, let them sit out for a few days until they get mushy (like how you'd eat a black sapote). Then put it in the fridge for a few hours (this helps the latex to harden up). Then take it out, cut it in half with a knife and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Yummy!!

Jeff

• abayomi
    13 years ago

wow.

what else can one say?

Harry remains a benchmark for backyard excellence.

Regarding Haysa, I am in the market for seed. As many as are saved will be used! I am going to the mango festival in July and can stop by then if feasible...or can send some monies via paypal for postage...

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FYI...my Home Depot bought blueberry plants do have the name near the UPC code. They are "Misty."

• marinfla
    13 years ago

HI Harry
    Your yard is amazing in the photos. I can only guess it is more impressive in person. On a scale of 0 to 10 how rude would it be for me to beg for a tour of the Hausman Gardens??

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marin:

How rude? On a scale of 10, the rudeness level would be a 0. Actually, I have invited and even encouraged members of the forum to stop by at a mutually convenient time for touring and tasting whatever is availbale at the time. So.....come on down! I'd be happy to show you around.

Harry

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

great pics harry- if i was a little kid- i would have a chart on my wall with a countdown to may 28th

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Those sapodillas look so good! I wish I can eat some. :(

• longanluva
    13 years ago

Hey Harry, can you give a brief description on fruit size and taste for the tigers eye longans? Is it any better than those other common varieties? Thanks.
    Max

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hey Harry,

Could you give us a run down on all of the Longan varieties that you are growing and/or have tasted. Rating the size of the fruit, taste, precociousness, etc....
    Any luck with the Edaw Air-layers? Thanks again and talk to you soon!

Jacob

• invar69
    13 years ago

Thanks hmhausman, jsvand and Mango_Kush for the input on the Valcarrie. I'll skip it.

mango-dog - Yeah I noticed a few newly added mango varieties on Top T. I'm tempted to splurge and get a Duncan, Edward and couple more.

hmhausman - I was thinking of getting an Irwin, so I was glad to hear your praise of it. Man, I'm really in awe of your Julie tree. Can you tell me what you think about Duncans?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Longanluva and Jacob:

Sorry for the delay in my response. My photobucket account, for reasons that I don't fully understand, blocked all of my pictures from appearing in my posts as the result of "exceeding my monthly free bandwidth" whatever that means. Anyway, here's my summary of the longans that I have or have tried.

Kohala: Very nice fruit in size and flavor. Good seed to flesh ratio. Not sure why, but my one tree doesn't do well and fruits very, very lightly. Could be where its planted that is the problem. Lots of other trees produce lots of fruit quite reliably.

E Daw or E Do: This the main commercial cultivar in Thailand. It bears very heavily (usually) and has great storage and shelf life characteristics. The fruits are somewhat smaller than the largest of the longans, but the fruit quality is quite good with excellent sweetness and flavor.

Tiger's Eye: I obtained this cultivar from Going Bananas in Miami years ago. Extremely consistant, heavy bearer and the fruiting pannicles must be thinned to get any decent sized fruits. Fruit quality is good. Seed to flesh ratio is reasonable but not great.

Biew Kiew: Thai culitvar.....one of the best I have had. Fruits are very large and have excellent seed to flesh ratio. Flavor is top notch...very sweet, complex flavor. Unfortunately, my tree was destroyed by the hurricane and then the replanting was run over by the yardman's wife who lost control of the riding mower she was on trying to avoid a large spidr and his web. The new planting of this tree is very tiny....sad to say.

See Chompoo: Along with Biew Kiew, a really top notch Thai culitvar. Compares favorably with the best of the best. Supposedly has pink colored flesh in Thailand...not so much here in Florida. The fruit's size and flavor make it a longan must have.

Then I have two trees that are airlayers produced by a guy named Bill Flynn in Miami. I am sure he's passed on by now...he was 100 years old 15 years ago. He had three seedling selections he called DDR 1,2 and 3. The DDR apparently stood for Dimus, De la Cruz and Reyes...named after some guys who had some dealings with some longan growing place....the details now escape me. I bought one of them. It has a "rolling leaf" and is pretty good. It produces heavily but is not in the top group of longans.

I also purchased one from this Flynn guy which he called Wong after Tommy Wong that had originally brought in the culitvar from somewhere in the Far East. Like the previous, it doesn't crack the top tier.

Daigelman: Very nice longan. My tree was severely damaged by Hurrcane Wilma. Good size and flavor. I would say just below See Chompoo and Biew Kiew and right around E Daw in flavor and desireability.

Seedling of Kohala: I've grown it from seed and it has fruited last year for the first time. The fruiting was as heavy as any longan that I have seen. I did not thin the fruits, so the large clusters of fruit remined small with lower flesh to seed ratio than I would prefer. This year I was going to do some thinning to see how the fruit size improved. Looks like the tree did it for me on its own. So, this may be an alternate year/season bearer. The fruit flavor and sweetness were quite good. I thought better than Kohala, actually.

Regarding E Daw airlayers...I had put two on based on a request from DGHays. Unfortunately, he passed away and the airlayers didn't do any better. I will put some layers on as the season progresses. If any one (I know Jacob wants one) wants one, let me know so I can adjust how many layers I attempt.

Harry

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Harry

At the risk of sounding like a mooch I'd love one if you could make an extra... I'd of course send postage.

• amrkhalido
    13 years ago

WoooW ,,, its just amazing Harry ,, how you take care of your trees and do have such variety of fruits ,, but regarding the weather ,, wat is the lowest and highest it gets throughtout the year ,,,
    And you are the first i saw to have Ewais mango ,, its an Egyptian variety and for me its the best taste ever ,,,

Amr

• amrkhalido
    13 years ago

And what a great Canistel u have ,, does it taste good ,, or better plant a sapodilla or lychee tree instead ,,

Thanks, Amr

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Invar69: Duncan was not a tree that I picked for purchase. I actually won it as a door prize in one of the Fairchild Mango Festivals. It produces consistantly and is a very nice tasting mango that I would reccomend as worth growing. Good disease resitance and fiberless flesh. One year, the fruit had an off flavor.....like a bitter after taste. I am not sure why that was, but I did here the same from another friend oof mine that was growing it. The good news, that bitter aftertaste was a one year thing.....hopefully to never occur again.

@Amr: The Ewais mango is one of two Egyptian culitvars I have. The other is Zebda. Have you tried Zebda? How would you compare/rate the two if you have? I have tasted Ewais each of the last two years. Its quite a nice mango.

Regarding the canistel......I ate some again yesterday and actually found it to be much better than I remember it from previous years. It was sweet, with a nice rich flavor. It isn't as good as a lychee or a mango, but, in its own way, it is comparable to a sapodilla....at least in quality of eating experience (for me).

Harry

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Amr: I missed your other question about the weather at my home. We have highs in the mid to upper 90's during the late spring and through summer. I have never encountered a 100 degree reading. Winters vary. This past year we had four fairly heavy frost events with lows around freezing on several occasions. The year before we had lows in the upper 20's on two occasions.....long enough to freeze water in my hoses, in some black plastic pots (about 1/4 inch of ice at the surface) and in the bed of my pick up truck. However, normal lows are in the mid to low 40's when we get a cold front. Temps could be in the upper 50's or low 60's otherwise for lows between cold waves.

Harry

• adiel
    13 years ago

Harry, nice pictures. How is the "extrema mango"? I had not heard of that variety.

Adiel

• amrkhalido
    13 years ago

Harry thanks for your reply regarding the wether ,, i just needed to see if i will be able to plant such tropical fruit in my weather ,,
    And regarding the zebda ,, i have a kinda large tree but i keep pruning it as it gives heaps of mangoes and i dont like it ,, its smell is awesome but not soo good taste and quality of fruit compared to Ewais or Alphonso or even Keit ,, its mainly used for juice here in Egypt ,, but the Ewais is the best and most favored and the most expensive alongside with the Keit ,,

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Awesome! It looks like your Angie mango is carrying a few fruit. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. I bought an Angie mango last year based on its delicious sounding paper description.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Harry: "Seedling of Kohala: I've grown it from seed and it has fruited last year for the first time. The fruiting was as heavy as any longan that I have seen. I did not thin the fruits, so the large clusters of fruit remined small with lower flesh to seed ratio than I would prefer. This year I was going to do some thinning to see how the fruit size improved. Looks like the tree did it for me on its own. So, this may be an alternate year/season bearer. The fruit flavor and sweetness were quite good. I thought better than Kohala, actually."

You can sell air layers and clippings to nurseries and call it Harry Longan. Just an idea.. :)

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A hairy longan would be a rambutan.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

True. LOL

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

Harry, amazing yard. wow! how long have these trees been growing? I guess 15 years? Do you experiment with airlayering? I really enjoyed viewing the pictures. Where are you located?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Behlgarden. I am in west Davie, FL. That is in Broward County, a western suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. I do fiddle around with airlayers, when I have time. Lately, I just haven't had that much time. I moved into my home in 1989 and began adding fruit trees from the early to mid-90's. So your estimate is about right.

Harry

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Harry,

I second that! Everytime I look at your pics I am truly amazed....could you tell us which of your mango trees,of these 4, are the most productive? Okrung,76, Irwin or Choc-Anon and the best tasting?

JF

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

@ Harry What's your opinion on the Van Dyke mango . I saw a Van Dyke mango tree at HD and I thought about buying it but I figured it's best to wait til I get your opinion on taste, whether or not it can be grown in a container etc... After all Harry you are the Mango King. LOL

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I am not Harry but I can tell you that a Van Dyke is similar to a Haden. Has decent sweet/spicy mango flavor, nothing overly special or complex. Fruit is mainly fiber free though I have had some that have had a little fiber as a Haden...after all, it is a Haden seedling. As far as growing in a pot, probably not the best idea. It is a vigorous, fairly large grower that would not take well to a pot, especially when there are many others with better flavor that do.

Harry, not trying to speak for you, feel free to add/comment...

Rob

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Rob. It's not worth buying.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maureen:

I have quite a few people that think that Van Dyke is one of the best mangoes around. I bought it because the Fairchild Mango Bible (I call it), rated its flavor Good to Excellent. I had to aquire (I was physically forced) each and every mango that attained the excellent evaluation by them....and, of course, having accomplished that, I moved on to other mango varieties that have been highly rated by people I have respected in the mango world. Then after that I bought mangoes that someone I encountered, whether they were mango experts or not, thought was the best mango in the world. The thinking was that, at least for selling purposes, I would always have a buyer if there was someone out there that just had to have that mango. And, as I said, I do have regular Van Dyke customers. The tree is very fruitful and the fruit is very colorful. The flavor can range from good to excellent as Fairchild indicated. Is it in my top tier of mangoes.....no, but its no slouch either.....at least not in the best of years....especialy if you like a little undertone of resinous twang in your mango. It is not a dwarf tree and would not be a great selection for pot culture. So, would I buy it again and plant it out? Yes, I would. Is it right for your circumstances? Maybe not.

Harry

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

Thanks for your opinion Harry . I bought a Haden at HD and it's trying to fruit in the container now. I visit HD quite often now because lately they've been bringing in grafted fruit trees from Pine Island so I am slowly collecting some fruit trees hoping to be able to find them a home .

• Kyna Lim
    8 years ago

hi Harry, can you send me a few of the Maha Chanooks and namdocmai mango seeds?

• bangkook thailand
    8 years ago

Where are you located Kyna Lim? Maybe i can help you, my mahachanoks also smell like mahachanok.

• greenman62
    8 years ago

Harry

interested in Hasya sapodilla

do you have other stuff for sale or trade ? looking for White sapote.

ive got lots to trade too...

your emails not posted.

Brad

---------------------

PM me on tropicalfruitforum (ive seen u there right ?)

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1113

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH